996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Buying a 1998-2001 996

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 01:23 AM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

A responsible prior owner is important with these cars. I bought one that was at the end of a 3rd party warranty, 10yr owner with consistent service & have been happy. The cars drive great, so find one with a healthy drivetrain and enjoy it.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:45 AM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

It sounds good, on the surface. A PPI from a qualified shop is the best money you will spend.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:28 PM
cuttinsod
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2001 C2 had a dual row IMS...replaced at 90K mile and showed no play or wear......at 105K miles now and the car has been very reliable...
Old 03-29-2018, 07:16 PM
roguiethegiant
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a 2001 996 Coupe Tip a year ago and it's been a great daily driver. That said, I did have to spend about $7k in old-age related updates/fix-its and repairs to make it reliable (including IMS/RMS). And now I'm moving on towards nice-but-not-necessary performance upgrades such as a double-din radio and air intake systems. If you go for this model, and you purchase one below $15k, I'd budget a lot for repair work. Old rubber, old hoses, old joints all add up to potentially expensive work. Find a reliable technician or learn to do it yourself - either way, I love tinkering and playing with the car to make it my own, so every piece of work done has been enjoyable. Fingers crossed on your end.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:35 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by my1997golf
I've been looking at 996.1 cars and the prices and I'm seeing cars in the $10-$15k range. Some appear to be in great cosmetic condition. Does anyone have any advice on the cars. I'm aware of the IMS issues, and that the pre 2000 cars have the dual row bearing which is more reliable. Is waiting for a 2002-2004 car (with the 3.6 and the 3 chain drive engine) worth it?

Would love to hear more from current owners on their experiences of buying or owning the cars.
You don't mention whether you'll be doing your own work or not... It'll make a BIG difference in your maintenance costs. I'm not trying to scare you but, these are things you should take into account. Just one example - and I've been pretty fortunate. I bought my car (my '99) with 135,000 mi. on it. It was a well cared for daily driver with 3 previous owners (the last owner only had it for 8 months and roughly 4000 mi.). My car never broke down, so I wasn't forced into doing any mechanical work. This being said, so far (over the last 3.5 years) I've done...1) suspension - about $2200 in parts - I did the work, as is the case with all the following as well. Center Radiator, low temp thermostat - $650 in parts. IMS Solution, cam chains and pads, water-pump, new serpentine belt, a few cooling hoses, AOS, Clutch, manual trans. oil, associated hardware etc... approx $4k parts, tools etc... Brakes - Rotors and pads, new parking brake cables - approx. $600. Totally elective work - Numeric shifter and cables - approx $ 900. There are lots of other little things including but not limited to: wheel center caps ($200) assorted tools (electrical connector removal tools, various connectors, non-marring plastic rivet removal tools, etc... - none of these things are crazy expensive, but they're necessary and everything adds up). Wheels re-finished - $approx - $800. Add in 4 oil changes at approx $150 ea. and I'm right around $10k - averages out to around $3k per year not counting labor (I like to look at this as I'm paying myself the labor ) - I figure if someone else was doing the work, it would be at least 2X as much and most likely more, as all mechanics either A) break stuff while they're working which you wind up paying for to fix or B) Up sell with things the you may as well fix "while I'm in here"... Good luck, and make sure you go into this with your eyes open... PPI ! Oops, forgot tires...throw another $900 (Michelin PSS 18") on there...

Last edited by dporto; 03-30-2018 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:03 AM
Vincent713
Three Wheelin'

Received 162 Likes on 117 Posts

I'm also searching for a 911, I initially wanted a 996.2, why this model? They redesign the varioCam to the Plus which deleted the chain pad. If this pad gets warned out, you have to tear your motor apart to replace them. In addition, this model has glove box, better looking steering wheels, some upgraded interior, headlights and the big 3.6L engine is a HUGE plus. Yes they have smaller IMS bearing but I think all 996 should have them replace just for peace of mind. IMO the Boxster are ugly and they are the lesser Porsche. Why not get the flagship 911 if you can?
Old 04-01-2018, 09:56 AM
Volkert
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by my1997golf
Found a clean looking 996 locally. It's a 1999 with around 80k miles, a few previous owners, but the last owner had the car for a few years and really looked after it and has most of the service history. Cosmetically, it's clean. Not much leather on the drivers seat, and only one dimple on the bodywork.

I'm debating whether to have a PPI performed, or whether I should walk away.

Any thoughts and suggestions?
Why walk away? These are the cars to look for. If the previous owner had it a few years and did a good job on maintenance it will save you quickly 4-6k$ in future maintenance bills.
I don’t care much for the Mk1 versus Mk2 debate. In engine power there is not much of a difference and the Mk1 compensate the extra 20HP with less weight. As with every iteration of a German car, each is a bit better then the previous but honestly I don’t see much difference between an early 996 until Mk1 997. They are all great cars. A buddy of mine came over the other day with his C4S, looked at my car and really liked it, even the headlights. So there it is, get a great car that you will enjoy! If you are debating buying a 15k or an 18k car, walk away from a 911. Or buy a 8k Boxter so you have 10k in your pocket to spend on maintenance if needed.

Quick Reply: Buying a 1998-2001 996