Sponsored by:

Picture of my rim being straightened

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 06:07 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 746 Likes on 387 Posts
Default Picture of my rim being straightened

Picture of my rim being straightened today.

He finds the bends, heats the area, applies hydraulic pressure. He found three bends.

Wheel only took 1/4 ounce to balance!

What an art! Only $150.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:48 PM
ion_berkley
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're honestly OK to drive on a wheel (+mounted tire!) that some dude just took a MAPP torch to whilst applying hydraulic force strong enough to reshape it? You're braver than me, I have a set of 2 piece BBS wheels sat idle because I'm not ever willing to "repair" a damaged wheel.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:29 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 128 Likes on 113 Posts

Surprised they didn't take the tyre off

Anyway hope its all been straightened out for you
Old 07-26-2018, 10:50 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

That's cool. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:21 AM
Gbug
Rennlist Member

Funny, I just used that same company today here in Denver, apparently it's a franchise operation. Now I'm wondering if they actually removed the tires when straightening my wheels...
Old 07-27-2018, 12:26 AM
9964runner
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

any pics of him applying pressure
Old 07-27-2018, 12:32 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 128 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbug
Funny, I just used that same company today here in Denver, apparently it's a franchise operation. Now I'm wondering if they actually removed the tires when straightening my wheels...
Would have thought they'd want to watch the outside but I guess if they balance the job is considered done?
Old 07-27-2018, 02:51 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 544 Posts

I had an early Fuch fixed like this years ago and all is well. Never did get to see the process though.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:32 AM
Simonripley
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Had some wheels repaired at that same shop on Babcock Rd. I was worried because I'd heard from others that high quality wheel repair in this town is hard to find. Rodney's prices were reasonable, and I'm relatively pleased with the work (welding aluminum on rim and powder-coating centers, etc.).
Old 07-27-2018, 09:24 AM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 746 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by Simonripley
Had some wheels repaired at that same shop on Babcock Rd. I was worried because I'd heard from others that high quality wheel repair in this town is hard to find. Rodney's prices were reasonable, and I'm relatively pleased with the work (welding aluminum on rim and powder-coating centers, etc.).
tomorrow the local Porsche Club is going to Utopia for a drive. I'll be there with my wife.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:49 AM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

This is one of those cases where I'd rather not see how they do the work. That just seems super sketchy to me. Let the wizard to their magic and if it works great, please never let me see how they did it.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:36 AM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cds72911
This is one of those cases where I'd rather not see how they do the work. That just seems super sketchy to me. Let the wizard to their magic and if it works great, please never let me see how they did it.

How I feel about a good steak as well.
Old 07-27-2018, 03:46 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by ion_berkley
You're honestly OK to drive on a wheel (+mounted tire!) that some dude just took a MAPP torch to whilst applying hydraulic force strong enough to reshape it? You're braver than me, I have a set of 2 piece BBS wheels sat idle because I'm not ever willing to "repair" a damaged wheel.
It's malleable, my wife hit a new big pothole 4 blocks from her work & limped in with 2 bent rims, rear was bad enough to lose air. The Jaguar was old enough to have a full size spare wheel & tire to match the the others. I put the spare on the front & limped over to the 20th Century Fox motor pool & borrowed a sledge hammer to pound the inside rim back enough for the tire to seal air tight & drove it home.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:03 PM
ion_berkley
Instructor

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
It's malleable, my wife hit a new big pothole 4 blocks from her work & limped in with 2 bent rims, rear was bad enough to lose air. The Jaguar was old enough to have a full size spare wheel & tire to match the the others. I put the spare on the front & limped over to the 20th Century Fox motor pool & borrowed a sledge hammer to pound the inside rim back enough for the tire to seal air tight & drove it home.
I'm going to respectfully differ with your opinion on that...malleability and ductility/plasticity/yield are not a simple qualities....just because you can bend a piece of aluminum alloy with a hammer and it "looks the same" doesn't mean the properties of that material haven't critically changed. Attached two photo's of previously mentioned BBS 2 piece factory wheels complete with hairline fractures...still holding air, vibration only noticeable at freeway speeds from a single pothole event. I actually tried to replace this wheel with one from a breakers and received a wheel with a concealed weld from similar damage...that got returned pronto. These wheels were cast and/or forged and/or heat treated and machined etc to a specific schedule that was determined by their design engineering to be safe with a minimum of material and mass....if you bent them then you caused them to yield...if you straighten them then you just caused them to yield for a second time...if you heat them you just changed the temper....if you weld them you just heated them and added foreign material. In none of these cases do you *know* that the wheel will continue to be safe to operate. Personally, I went out and bought a brand new set.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:46 PM
Horsepwr
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I have to agree I wouldn't trust this. Take a paperclip and bend it one way then the other, is it as strong as it was originally? I don't think I would want to be doing 60-70-80+ on a wheel someone heated and reshaped. Just my humble opinion...

Quick Reply: Picture of my rim being straightened