Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Clear bra protection - Does it work, does it last?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 08:29 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts
Default Clear bra protection - Does it work, does it last?

I have just had some paint chips repaired on my 996 Aero

Do the the clear bras like Xpel really work, how long do they last?

I have seen some pretty bad yellowing on some other cars.

What is the average cost? Any recommendations?
Old 10-24-2018, 10:32 PM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Yes. Mine has protected many a rock chip on the front of my car. Don't know exactly how old it is since it was on there when I bought it used. At least 5 years old, and no yellowing yet. Car is garaged overnight but parked outside at work many days. My only complaint is that it's much harder to clean rubber strikes off of that after a track day than it is to clean them off paint. But it's worth it to not have road rash all over the front of my car. I'm sure I could peel it off tomorrow and the paint would look great.

You can see prices on xpel's website: http://www.xpel.com/paint-protection...he/911/Carrera

Looks like my car has about $700 worth of film on it; front bumper, fenders, hood, and mirrors. Not sure how much people charge for installation.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:27 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Mine has a clear bra that was installed by the PO when he had a new "GT3" Aerokit bumper installed.
His plan was to do the whole kit eventually.
Mine covers the front bumper, half of the hood, half of the fenders, and the mirror.
I hit something on the freeway and it put a big gash in the clear bra, but the fender is just fine.

Video:

Rear View Dashcam snapshot:

I've heard horror stories about clear bras removing paint when removed.
If that happens, I'll have to have a respray.
But for now, it looks great.
A lot better than stone chips!

Last edited by TexSquirrel; 10-24-2018 at 11:45 PM.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:09 AM
texcwa
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have all receipts for my car, the Xpel was put on it when new 2004 and it still looks great. Been thinking of removing but concerned about causing paint damage.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:15 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts

Yes, and yes. Paint removal issues are usually on resprays. If the you repaint and are planning to mask, make sure to tell your shop. They may bake it longer or at least advise on proper cure time before applying the film.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:03 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jayzbird
Yes, and yes. Paint removal issues are usually on resprays. If the you repaint and are planning to mask, make sure to tell your shop. They may bake it longer or at least advise on proper cure time before applying the film.
The body shop mgr, sent a picture of the car being baked extra time.
I did not ask how, long.
Does anybody know what would be correct?

Last edited by NYoutftr; 10-25-2018 at 11:59 PM.
Old 10-27-2018, 01:25 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 467 Likes on 329 Posts

Clear films are pretty good these days, Xpel, 3M, Suntek are all solid. I detail cars and most cars I have seen with film on it unless its been on some daily driver for 10+ years looks just fine. As mentioned above its going to take the impact from debris on the road, it doesn't mean its full proof but it is going to cut down on chance of damage big time and prevent rock chips. Cost is mainly going to depend on location and how much of your car you want to clear bra. I had a client who recently had the front end up a new Mercedes done and it was around $1000. You could easily spend several thousand doing a whole car or even more if you want it to be invisible. By invisible I mean pulling off parts and tucking it so there are no seems.
Old 10-27-2018, 01:34 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
The body shop mgr, sent a picture of the car being baked extra time.
I did not ask how, long.
Does anybody know what would be correct?
Most quality paint shops suggest you let paint cure for 30 days before installing PPF. I'm not sure if extra "baking" time constitutes curing but you paint ship should know.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:37 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 259 Posts

I am a believer in the stuff....thebonly yellowing i have seen is from the original 3m stuff....i had it on my 09 c4s only half nose and replaced last year. Now has xpel and did the full nose. never do a half hood because what i found is you can get a a visible line where the film ended. It's particularly bad if you dont garage your car. in my case i had garaged the car and the film guy was able to eliminate the minor shadow. my 996 also has full nose rockers and behind the wheels. My Lambo is covered all around except roof and in a week i will do the same with my turbo. the film has saved me so many times...
Old 10-27-2018, 03:01 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 467 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by lowpue
I am a believer in the stuff....thebonly yellowing i have seen is from the original 3m stuff....i had it on my 09 c4s only half nose and replaced last year. Now has xpel and did the full nose. never do a half hood because what i found is you can get a a visible line where the film ended. It's particularly bad if you dont garage your car. in my case i had garaged the car and the film guy was able to eliminate the minor shadow. my 996 also has full nose rockers and behind the wheels. My Lambo is covered all around except roof and in a week i will do the same with my turbo. the film has saved me so many times...
Would never do half hood, it always looks gross. Either just do the bumper and no hood or full hood.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:16 AM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Yes
Shop recommended waiting till spring, since the snow is going to start flying anytime soon.
The car will go into hibernation.
Getting anxious to pickup at shop, waiting for a clear weather day, it is 200 mile round trip.
The pictures look good, will post some after I get it home.
The shop bill has now almost doubled the insurance estimate.
Old 10-28-2018, 02:02 AM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lowpue
LP
The last car a saw was a silver Caymen. The whole bumper was done, half the hood,about 15" behind the headlights on top of the fender. Theh a 6" strip on the front of roof.
it was 3 years old, i could see the seems were dirty
Old 11-01-2018, 10:36 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Most quality paint shops suggest you let paint cure for 30 days before installing PPF. I'm not sure if extra "baking" time constitutes curing but you paint ship should know.

Got it back yesterday.
I confirmed car was baked extra time in preparation for xpel.
They recommend waiting until spring to apply.
They have a Xpel installer come to do Porsche and Audi cars in the spring.
Shop manager, said they would go over the front of the car again before the Xpel is applied.
Here is what it looks like now.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:45 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

I am in the process of getting quotes from installers for Xpel Ultimate Plus.
A few of the installers are recommending getting Ceramic Pro on top of the Xpel.
One of the reasons, "Since film is more porous by nature than your vehicle's paint, contaminants like dirt, pollen, brake dust, & others can embed themselves into the film making it difficult to clean at times. Ceramic Pro has non stick properties that prevent the adhesion & build up of contaminants on the vehicle."
So the folks who have Xpel, is this something I should be concerned about?
The closest Xpel installer is 100+ miles away, so I sent out request for quote to five installers, (upto 150 miles) there seems to be a large disparity in Professional knowledge and experience with Xpel, at least based on websites and responses.
Does anybody have any recommendations for an installer in New York State / N.E. Pennsylvania area ?
-David
Old 01-31-2019, 09:08 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Curious to know what they are quoting you for install of X-Pel. For the entire front (fenders, headlights, bumper, hood, mirrors) i was quoted $1700, $1800 and $2100 on a 996 GT3. The $2100 quote is from the shop regarded as best in San Diego.

Quick Reply: Clear bra protection - Does it work, does it last?