996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Talk me down?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 11:43 AM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

Or just go with it. I've done that with most of the Porsches I've purchased over the decades, and so far it has worked out for me each time. The 911/996 is an incredibly fun car and a bargain for what they are selling for these days. Sounds like the stars are aligning on this one for you. Enjoy the ride.

I think a lot of us are just trying to help you avoid buyer's remorse. Sounds like you're going into it eyes wide open.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:44 AM
e90steve
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I would think you could buy it and sell it for what you bought it for a year or two down the road. Prob going to lose $$ in repairs along the way though.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:01 PM
robot808
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by docmirror
Doesn't matter. Car is gone. Unless the OP wrote the check(although I doubt it if he's into finance).
This car is no longer listed for sale.
As for financing depreciating assets, I did it once. That was enough for me.
Hey Doc,

It was still for sale last night when I dropped by the dealership last night.. It is still on their website as well.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:05 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Originally Posted by robot808
About that, I would absolutely expect depreciation, but do you expect prices to just keep falling?
Are we looking at $5-6K 996's in a few years like some old 944's. I kind of had the idea, outside of the expected high maintenance costs, and as cheap as the purchase price is already, it couldn't depreciate all that much.
But that isn't really based on any experience or anything. That may just be be trying to justify the purchase in my head.
I hope prices don't go down, but I wouldn't place a bet against them going down.
Will we see $5-6K running 996s in a few years?
Yes, probably.
But not the ones in good condition.
Will we see non-running 996s for $5-6K?
Yes, they're available now.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:14 PM
Tommy Tuite
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Deals are out there! Especially for the diy ers of us. I grabbed a 99 Arena Red C2 Tip for $7k. If it grenades, I'll be bummed but not mad. Ill be installing AOS and IMSB this winter for peace of mind next year.

My advise for finding a deal? Stop looking at BAT/AutoTrader/Jalopnik and all the other mainstream media outlets. They are all click bait IMHO.

Start to let your daily commute and weekend availability define your needs and wants. Search nationally but purchase locally. The original owners of these cars got these when exotics were bought and sold in newspapers before craigslist and Ebay were a thing. It will be up to you to find the mis categorized ad or roadside For Sale sign.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:49 PM
robot808
Rennlist Member

Yeah, for the last few years I've just casually scrolled through Craigslist and Facebook Market searching "Porsche" as a time killer. Not really shopping.
This time I wasn't even looking for cars. I was just scrolling on Facebook when an Oversteer article popped up. Nice looking 996 on top, figured I'd give it a click. See that it is the cheapest on Autotrader, my color and trans, and in my backyard.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:15 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Yeah, for the last few years I've just casually scrolled through Craigslist and Facebook Market searching "Porsche" as a time killer. Not really shopping.
This time I wasn't even looking for cars. I was just scrolling on Facebook when an Oversteer article popped up. Nice looking 996 on top, figured I'd give it a click. See that it is the cheapest on Autotrader, my color and trans, and in my backyard.
Porsche **** can make you blind son... are you listening to me son?!!! Are your ears on? Now, let's all calm down and come back down to earth. What you have sir is just pure and simple LUST... and lust will get a man in trouble, I'm tellin' you! You need to back away from the computer and go find a nice used Prius and stick a Carrera emblem on the back. Boom... problem solved.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:20 PM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Received 652 Likes on 400 Posts

The concern isn't depreciation -- we are pretty far down the depreciation curve and prices are unlikely to go up or down significantly in the near term. The concern is an unexpected major expense and/or a major failure. Much as I encourage people to enjoy life, especially when it comes to getting a dream car, it's never worth taking financial risks to make that happen -- and going "all in" on 996 is a risk that is not worth taking. Why not get a Boxster? --> https://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-Porsch...2:pf:0&vxp=mtr
Old 11-08-2018, 03:21 PM
robot808
Rennlist Member

I love Boxsters, but I need a back seat and a hardtop.

Last edited by robot808; 11-08-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:30 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Because I need a back seat and a hardtop.
The back seat really only fits small children.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:30 PM
Tommy Tuite
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Best car purchase I made was grabbing a $600 Honda Odyssey. It allows me to get to and from work, take care of chores, haul family/friends... All while I slowly set money aside, watch the local ads and patiently canvas for P cars
Old 11-08-2018, 03:31 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

My advice on this or any other Porsche you look at is NEVER EVER finance a toy. Especially one that can turn into a paper weight when the motor grenades. Save your money and if you have to finance have at least 50-75% down to minimize risk.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:33 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tommy Tuite
Best car purchase I made was grabbing a $600 Honda Odyssey. It allows me to get to and from work, take care of chores, haul family/friends... All while I slowly set money aside, watch the local ads and patiently canvas for P cars
I like Honda Odysseys.
Except for the onces made in the early 2000s with the transmissions made out of cardboard.
I have a 2011.
It's my "truck" for now.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:47 PM
robot808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
The back seat really only fits small children.
I have three kids, but more often than not, I have only one or two of them with it at a time. The backseat, as small as it is, is a necessity.

Originally Posted by Tommy Tuite
​​​​​​I have a cheap, old 4runner that I use for a family truckster, bad weather vehicle, and a backup I use when I'm working on my XK8 which is my usual ride. The 4runner costs almost nothing to run.

Originally Posted by RngTrtl
My advice on this or any other Porsche you look at is NEVER EVER finance a toy. Especially one that can turn into a paper weight when the motor grenades. Save your money and if you have to finance have at least 50-75% down to minimize risk.
I've always paid cash for cars. It makes all the sense in the world. I'll likely be financing my next car, whatever it is. So, I was thinking why not get one I love? The paperweight thing though, that's the only reason I haven't bought it already.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:46 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Hey Doc,

It was still for sale last night when I dropped by the dealership last night.. It is still on their website as well.
I just followed the link in your post to the auto site, and said it was no longer avail. doesn't matter either way to me.

Quick Reply: Talk me down?