Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Issues after battery disconnect for 4 months?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 10:02 PM
rockhouse66
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Issues after battery disconnect for 4 months?

I am leaving my car idle for 4 months. Should I disconnect the battery or not? I am concerned about issues on restart with the computer or throttle calibration or ?? who knows what?

This car has sat before, 6 weeks, locked. Started right up, no issues. I am tempted to do this again but for 16 weeks. I guess I am more concerned about having little electronic niggles from the disconnect than I am with having a dead battery. Yes, I could put it on a tender. Will the low price Battery Tender Jr. that I have be safe to use or do I have to go CTek?
Old 12-05-2018, 11:01 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 134 Posts

I have had the battery out of the car for 6 months, on the shelf with a BTJr.while I removed and rebuilt the engine. Put it back in when completed, started and ran perfectly, no issues with anything in the car.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:02 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

It's ok to disconnect the batteires for months if you don't mind losing the emission readiness. Everything will be relearmed/retest when you reconnnect the battery. Just do a e-gas recalibration before cranking and you're good to go.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:15 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

if this helps your decision in any, here it goes. I disconnect my boat battery for about 8 months annually but give it 4 hours change every month from my 12volt changing unit. The boat starts right up no problem afterwards for use during the summer months. I do not leave my car for any period of time annually but I assume the same thing would apply if I did. .
Old 12-06-2018, 08:52 AM
rockhouse66
Rennlist Member

OK. Not too concerned about the emission readiness as it should clear after a good long drive - yes? And I know the e-gas calibration is simple. I will disconnect the battery. It is AGM and these seem to hold a charge really well if left disconnected.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:16 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,590 Likes on 994 Posts

I think most folks would say you still want a tender on it, even if removed and disconnected from the car.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:28 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,102 Likes on 708 Posts

A car is a mechanical thing...it doesn't know if the battery has been disconnected for 15 minutes or 4 months. I bought a Schumacher battery maintainer at AutoZone. It charges the battery and then auto maintains it. Worth it in my opinion. Can either be hooked up to a battery or does the same thing connected to the cigarette lighter plug.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:37 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,390 Likes on 1,267 Posts

I use a Battery Tender Jr, although not for months at a time.
I use it when the car is going to be parked for a few days.
(i.e. after surgery or chemo treatments, or during vacations)
I ran a pigtail extension(purchased from Amazon) out through the plastic that covers the windshield wipers.
The end is hidden under the plastic cap on my 996.2.
When the cap is removed the end can be pulled out about two inches.

I had to trim the plastic underneath just a little, but it doesn't show on the outside, even with the frunk open.
If you route your pigtail like this, go ahead and pick up a couple of extra caps.
I've lost one so far.
Luckily I had a couple of spares.
They're REALLY cheap to replace.

Oops, I just looked and I paid $1.68 each for them last January.
Now they're $6.75 each!
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...965725690101c/
Old 12-06-2018, 12:22 PM
rockhouse66
Rennlist Member

Part of my concern is whether the inexpensive Battery Tender Jr. that I have is sophisticated enough to leave an an AGM battery for long periods of time without doing more harm than good. Their literature says it is OK for AGM but I am not 100% sold on this, since it isn't switch selectable between types of battery.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:16 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
It's ok to disconnect the batteires for months if you don't mind losing the emission readiness. Everything will be relearmed/retest when you reconnnect the battery. Just do a e-gas recalibration before cranking and you're good to go.
This...if your state requires an emissions test and you are due, don't go right after you reconnect the battery, it will fail on OBD readiness.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:59 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,102 Likes on 708 Posts

This is what I have and it works very well on my AGM battery. I usually connect it up to the cigarette lighter socket if the car is going to sit for 3-4 days in the garage (I don't lock the car while it is in the garage). Auto maintains, smart technology, simple. https://www.batterychargers.com/en/p...rgermaintainer

Quick Reply: Issues after battery disconnect for 4 months?