Sponsored by:

Grease / Oil streaks on door glass

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 02:27 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Grease / Oil streaks on door glass

After two months i finally identified the source of the annoying dash squeaking, so on to the minor things...

Both driver and passenger windows get a circular grease / oil streak on the inside of the glass when rolled down all the way. I am guessing its a piece of felt or something that the glass rests on. Before i pull the door panel off, wanted to know if there are any parts i should get or if anyone has had luck just cleaning the area.

Passenger side..

Name:  RJuUjlcl.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  35.9 KB

Drivers side is always much worse, circles show where the marks always are.

Name:  7tEZUTFl.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  48.0 KB

Saw these plugs in the PET diagrams (screenshot off a helpful Youtube video), are these the cause or maybe higher up by the two bolts at the top of the door frame?

Just minor things... truly an awesome car.

Name:  qZa3ALMl.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  56.4 KB
Old 12-25-2018, 04:38 PM
Looneybin
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Not trying to jack your thread, but what was the source of the dash squeak?
im also chasing a mystery squeak that is making me nuts

ive had greasy lines on the windows from the rollers, but never round spots
Old 12-25-2018, 08:39 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
After two months i finally identified the source of the annoying dash squeaking, so on to the minor things...

Both driver and passenger windows get a circular grease / oil streak on the inside of the glass when rolled down all the way. I am guessing its a piece of felt or something that the glass rests on. Before i pull the door panel off, wanted to know if there are any parts i should get or if anyone has had luck just cleaning the area.

Passenger side..

Drivers side is always much worse, circles show where the marks always are.

Saw these plugs in the PET diagrams (screenshot off a helpful Youtube video), are these the cause or maybe higher up by the two bolts at the top of the door frame?

Just minor things... truly an awesome car.

Measure it. looks like the felt pads to me not the bolts.
Old 12-26-2018, 12:03 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Looneybin
Not trying to jack your thread, but what was the source of the dash squeak?
im also chasing a mystery squeak that is making me nuts

ive had greasy lines on the windows from the rollers, but never round spots
It turned out to be the alarm readiness cover. I didn't think it was this because even while pressing on it when driving it kept making noise. I took it off again yesterday and went for a drive... noise gone! I ordered some Tesa cloth tape to cover the bottom edges.

The issue causing the steaks were the foam pads on the upper rollers of the window regulator. With the window down, you can look down into the door and see them. I used some plastic trim removal tools to wedge the rubber window trim open a bit more. Using some thin picks, it took little effort to take the old foam off. They were pretty much saturated in grease / oil, so the adhesive was barely sticking.

I did take the door panel off and peeled the moisture barrier back, but after doing this found that was unnecessary. Its tight, but you can do everything from the window channel. I sprayed some brake cleaner on a cotton patch and using a bore cleaning rod, cleaned the oil / grease residue off the window regulator roller.

Old foam pads pictured. I used a washer to cut the foam to size.

Name:  PwS6HFIl.jpg
Size:  61.5 KB

I cut out a new foam pad and used some 3M double side adhesive tape to stick it onto the roller. I used a very thin screw driver to get it in place. New foam pad pictured.

Name:  CGomDYLl.jpg
Size:  26.8 KB

Quick Reply: Grease / Oil streaks on door glass