Sponsored by:

What the heck is this???

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 07:06 PM
scanderson76
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What the heck is this???

Hey guys, I am in the process of replacing my AOS and I accidentally broke this small air line. When I was taking out the alternator, it sat right above it, if that helps (see below pics). I am having trouble locating it in the schematics, as I am not sure what it goes too. If you could steer me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. Not sure if this matters, but its a 2000 996 S2. I am not putting anything back together yet, as I want to narrow down what this goes to while I have everything apart, in hopes of easy access and replacement. You guys have been helpful so far, so hoping for more of the same! Thanks, much appreciated.

Scott

Old 12-27-2018, 08:18 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 544 Posts

Bummer, plan on replacing them all.
https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...cuum-lines.jpg

Last edited by 808Bill; 12-28-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:08 PM
ion_berkley
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So that's the vacuum line that activates the RPM dependent butterfly valve in the (rear) intake plenum. Your broken piece is approx center in this photo, and you can see the vacuum line leading to the removed plenum piece bottom right.

Last edited by ion_berkley; 12-27-2018 at 09:09 PM. Reason: spelling!
Old 12-28-2018, 05:37 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

You are a braver man than I. Replacing the AOS. You will probably brake more of the vacuum lines behind the alternator as they are really brittle. I would replace all of the Vac lines when you are in there.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:14 AM
scanderson76
Advanced

All, thanks for the quick replies! I will heed your advice and replace them all while I'm here. The others don't seem brittle, but makes sense. AOS was a lesson in patience to get to it, but it's out and replaced. Now to put it all back together.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:49 AM
ion_berkley
Instructor

Good choice! I replaced pretty much every coolant pipe, clamp, expansion bottle, thermostat etc when I did the AOS. It seemed like such a good opportunity to headoff any age related failures whilst the shear pain in the **** of removing all that stuff was fresh in my mind.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:04 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by scanderson76
All, thanks for the quick replies! I will heed your advice and replace them all while I'm here. The others don't seem brittle, but makes sense. AOS was a lesson in patience to get to it, but it's out and replaced. Now to put it all back together.
Good job. Don't sweat the breaking that little line. I know it's frustrating, especially when replacing a part like the AOS is so time consuming and hard to replace. That why I'm glad the AOS was replaced when I recently had the IMS Solution installed. The mechanic told me it was always easier to install them when the engine is dropped a little with the transmission removed. Basically, you're looking right at it! He also said that it's stupid not to replace it if the engine is ever completely dropped for other work.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:49 PM
scanderson76
Advanced

okay, I am having a tough time tracking down the part number I need for the vacuum lines. I have 00004320501 based off other threads here (Ahsai). I plug that number in at Sunset, and it is saying that doesn't fit my car. Huh? It's vacuum line, how many different sizes did Porsche decide to use! I probably should get the y connector as well since most likely the lines will be glued in place and be a pain in the neck to get out. Thoughts? Correct part number???
Old 12-28-2018, 12:55 PM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by scanderson76
okay, I am having a tough time tracking down the part number I need for the vacuum lines. I have 00004320501 based off other threads here (Ahsai). I plug that number in at Sunset, and it is saying that doesn't fit my car. Huh? It's vacuum line, how many different sizes did Porsche decide to use! I probably should get the y connector as well since most likely the lines will be glued in place and be a pain in the neck to get out. Thoughts? Correct part number???
If I was you I'd just pull the broken piece out of the rubber elbow where it snapped off, you should still have enough length left on the vacuum line to just push it back in, can't you just do that??
Old 12-28-2018, 01:13 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Noz1974
If I was you I'd just pull the broken piece out of the rubber elbow where it snapped off, you should still have enough length left on the vacuum line to just push it back in, can't you just do that??
That's exactly what I was thinking unless the hose has been glued to the rubber elbow. OP, I looked up the part on AutoAtlanta and it comes up with the same number you have. Before I order that part, I would take Noz's advice.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:31 PM
scanderson76
Advanced

Originally Posted by Noz1974
Nope, broke in multiple pieces. It was already a tight fit to begin with. Its not a big deal, I will just replace all the lines and possible y connectors. Thanks.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:08 PM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
That's exactly what I was thinking unless the hose has been glued to the rubber elbow. OP, I looked up the part on AutoAtlanta and it comes up with the same number you have. Before I order that part, I would take Noz's advice.
Not usually glued from the factory so should just pull out and I would just test the integrity of the rest of the line by giving it a bit of a flex , it is quite a rigid plastic so I can imagine it snapping if you caught it at an angle and it sheered off but it should flex and not snap too easily but doesn't seem like it will easily fatigue so should be ok!!
Old 12-28-2018, 10:45 PM
ion_berkley
Instructor

I recall that other folks who were replacing the vacuum lines just bought a big length of generic vacuum line and cut to length...hence the exact measurements in 808Bills picture.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:48 PM
HoustonCgrBkr
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

You guys are awesome helping out a fellow owner.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:33 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ion_berkley
I recall that other folks who were replacing the vacuum lines just bought a big length of generic vacuum line and cut to length...hence the exact measurements in 808Bills picture.
That's what I've done on my other cars. I just went to AutoZone and bought generic vacuum line tubing and it worked great. The important part is getting the right size. Other than that, I don't why you'd have to purchase the Porsche part.

Quick Reply: What the heck is this???