Sponsored by:

Noise from windshield

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 01:18 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Noise from windshield

On my '05 GT3, have been getting a creak / tick noise from what i believe is the windshield. I know, its a GT3...but this is just the right pitch and volume to be really annoying.

I tried the tech bulletin with the foam cord around the windshield frame. I have disassembled the entire dash, to include the alarm readiness cover, defrost vents, speakers, center console (horse shoe), radio and climate control. With all those parts out, still makes noise. Have also eliminated the gauge cluster / pod as the source.

With my friend driving (and all the above parts removed), no amount of putting pressure or probing of the dashboard or anything i can reach internal would stop the noise. I did put some light / medium pressure at the base of the windshield and as far as i can tell, the noise stopped. I suspect the windshield is the source of the noise, anyone have experience with this kinda thing? I tried squirting some gummi plfledge (the stuff to quiet the door seals) at the base of the windshield, no luck there either.

I noticed by putting some pressure on the base of the glass, i can definitely see the glass flex just a bit outwards... makes me wonder if the adhesive has unbonded from the glass or frame?... what i am hearing perhaps could be the adhesive rubbing against the glass or frame. Tomorrow i am going to remove the cowl and see if anything is amiss.

It is the original glass with 57k miles on it, so its got its fair share of pitting / sand blasting. So its not like i'm about to drop $800-1k for OEM glass to get rid of a creaking noise.... . But obviously i would rather spend that on other things....

Is this part of the 996 ownership experience? .

Name:  ih77VQIl.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  52.7 KB
Old 12-31-2018, 09:36 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 544 Posts

Good luck and let us know what you find. Has the wiper cowl warped or cracked?
Old 12-31-2018, 10:45 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Why not post a video recording of the noise. I've had to hunt down many unusual noises on my Porsches. Usually it boiled down to something that had loosed over time and just needed to be tightened. Sometimes it's helpful to use a noise probe (i.e. mechanic's stethoscope) to pinpoint noise problems.

Quick Reply: Noise from windshield