Sponsored by:

need a new windshield

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 09:48 AM
montauk
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
I understand the desire for oem glass. In my case the car is worth $5-6k so paying $1k out of pocket for a new windshield just doesn’t make sense.
I got an aftermarket glass yesterday and it was well done.
I also reduced the risk of damaged or lost little parts by removing the wipers and trim piece between windshield and cowl.
I don't have a problem with after market glass but getting OEM for the same price to me is a bonus. I'm only paying the $250 deductible no matter what glass goes in.

In my '80 SC, I put a new windshield in with the help of my old man. I had no choice but to go with aftermarket glass. On that car, I think the original Seikut glass is a better choice but it just wasn't possible at the time. I wish I could replace the windshield myself on the 996 but I don't think it's possible.

Are there any tricks to getting that trim piece off?

Old 01-04-2019, 10:22 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Just took mine off..

-Remove battery cover and the two covers on each side
-Remove wiper arms; pop the plastic cap off and use a 13mm socket. Then flip the arms up to release spring tension. The driver side is tricky to get off..i found you can leave the hood open and have enough space to swing the wiper arm up.
-Two 10mm nuts on the left and right ends; you need to remove a plastic cap for both.
-The center of the shroud has one T25 torx under the passenger wiper arm
-Two T25 torx right behind the battery
-Disconnect left and right side electrical connector for windshield washer nozzles
-Disconnect rubber hose going to the washer nozzles

The a-pillar trim isnt too hard to take off either. Remove the coat hook cover on the b-pillar by pulling it off. Then just pull the a-pillar trim out... it takes a bit of force to get the metal clips to slide out.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:35 AM
rockhouse66
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

The trim piece I mentioned is the black plastic looking piece that runs along the sides and top of the windshield on the outside. I don't know if this varies by year, but on a 2004 the trim pieces on the dash at the base of the windshield need to come off plus the alarm red light piece. This is necessary to unplug the radio antenna from the windshield.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:29 PM
montauk
Instructor

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Just took mine off..

-Remove battery cover and the two covers on each side
-Remove wiper arms; pop the plastic cap off and use a 13mm socket. Then flip the arms up to release spring tension. The driver side is tricky to get off..i found you can leave the hood open and have enough space to swing the wiper arm up.
-Two 10mm nuts on the left and right ends; you need to remove a plastic cap for both.
-The center of the shroud has one T25 torx under the passenger wiper arm
-Two T25 torx right behind the battery
-Disconnect left and right side electrical connector for windshield washer nozzles
-Disconnect rubber hose going to the washer nozzles

The a-pillar trim isnt too hard to take off either. Remove the coat hook cover on the b-pillar by pulling it off. Then just pull the a-pillar trim out... it takes a bit of force to get the metal clips to slide out.
Is the reason for removing the a-pillar trim to keep the sticky gunk from making a mess?
Old 01-04-2019, 01:31 PM
montauk
Instructor

Originally Posted by rockhouse66
The trim piece I mentioned is the black plastic looking piece that runs along the sides and top of the windshield on the outside. I don't know if this varies by year, but on a 2004 the trim pieces on the dash at the base of the windshield need to come off plus the alarm red light piece. This is necessary to unplug the radio antenna from the windshield.
Thanks Jim!! BTW - I really hate windshield antennas !!!!!
Old 01-04-2019, 03:39 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by montauk
Is the reason for removing the a-pillar trim to keep the sticky gunk from making a mess?
For when the old seal / adhesive is cut. They typically use a special razor blade or a nylon line fished through to cut the seal.. if the techs not careful they can cut the a-pillar trim (it’s happened to me before at Safelite).
Old 01-05-2019, 09:43 AM
montauk
Instructor

Thanks for the head up!!!

Originally Posted by Techno Duck

For when the old seal / adhesive is cut. They typically use a special razor blade or a nylon line fished through to cut the seal.. if the techs not careful they can cut the a-pillar trim (it’s happened to me before at Safelite).

Quick Reply: need a new windshield