40th Anniversary Edition as DD

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 11:27 PM
jazz11man1
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 40th Anniversary Edition as DD

Hi,

I’m looking to purchase my first 911 after several years driving a BMW 3-Series. I need a car that I can use as a DD, even in Chicago winters.

I am currently looking at a 40th Anniversary Edition with ~40k miles. I’m curious whether people think that this would be a good choice. If it helps, I drive around 8k-10k miles per year.

One thing holding me back (vs a higher-mileage 997.2) is the IMS bearing issue, which the dealer claims is less likely given that it there hasn’t been any issues by now. That’s a topic for another day.

Thanks in in advance for any feedback.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:44 PM
e90steve
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

I wouldn't DD an anniversary personally. I live in Atlanta, commute about 45 mins on the highways on days that I have to be in the office. It's pretty miserable driving it on those days when you are simply creeping in traffic down the highway. I would much rather be in my cushy automatic Jeep GC with XM, Heated seats, all the bells and whistles if I'm mostly sitting in traffic. The AE also has a stiffer suspension than regular C2 and is a bit on the rougher side for a daily. I recommend getting the AE for sure, but have a daily on hand for the commute and simply drive the 911 for pleasure. That's what I do and I absolutely love the car.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:07 AM
jazz11man1
Instructor

Originally Posted by e90steve
I wouldn't DD an anniversary personally. I live in Atlanta, commute about 45 mins on the highways on days that I have to be in the office. It's pretty miserable driving it on those days when you are simply creeping in traffic down the highway. I would much rather be in my cushy automatic Jeep GC with XM, Heated seats, all the bells and whistles if I'm mostly sitting in traffic. The AE also has a stiffer suspension than regular C2 and is a bit on the rougher side for a daily. I recommend getting the AE for sure, but have a daily on hand for the commute and simply drive the 911 for pleasure. That's what I do and I absolutely love the car.
Thanks for the feedback.

I’m fortunate that I don’t spend much time in traffic on my way to/from work. The car that I have now is a MT, albeit with a softer suspension, and it never bothers me.

I considered having another car for regular use, but my wife wouldn’t be too happy about the extra expense.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:38 AM
e90steve
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

If you don't spend much time in stop/go traffic and have decent roads then go for it. Other than commuting, I drive mine every chance possible.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:46 AM
D6lc
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

UK magazine GT Porsche noted it as the best 996 you can buy, better than the GT3 for practicality and the Turbo for handling.

Its a great car, love mine but I’m not so sure I would enjoy driving it through an MN winter. I would suggest getting a beater vs a set of winter wheels and tires.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:21 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 544 Posts

Have the IMS Solution installed and drive the wheel off of it!
Old 01-14-2019, 11:02 AM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

As a DD in Chicago? Don't think that is a good choice.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:09 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by Prelude Guy
On second thought I'd have to agree. A low mile AE deserves better treatment! It's the only NA 996 that may end up collectable in 20 more years.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:27 AM
jazz11man1
Instructor

Originally Posted by D6lc
UK magazine GT Porsche noted it as the best 996 you can buy, better than the GT3 for practicality and the Turbo for handling.

Its a great car, love mine but I’m not so sure I would enjoy driving it through an MN winter. I would suggest getting a beater vs a set of winter wheels and tires.
That's good to know. Thanks!

I could keep my current car as a backup since it isn't worth much, but that means 2x insurance, 2x city sticker, and most importantly, it would support my wife's belief that a 911 isn't a practical car.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:29 AM
jazz11man1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Prelude Guy
Why is that, out of curiosity? Is it because it is an AE as 808Bill suggests?
Old 01-14-2019, 11:38 AM
D6lc
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jazz11man1
That's good to know. Thanks!

I could keep my current car as a backup since it isn't worth much, but that means 2x insurance, 2x city sticker, and most importantly, it would support my wife's belief that a 911 isn't a practical car.
I would respectfully suggest to her that the retained resale value of a future collectible Porsche not being driven in the winter + not having to buy winter tires will more than offset the additional costs of running a cheap 2nd car. Plus if its in a garage your insurance will be lower for no winter use. There are not many performance cars that you can buy, drive and then resell without losing any money, the 996 GT3 and Turbo prices have been rising for a while, the 40AE seems to be picking up steam and following that trend.

Get the GT Porsche mag on your Ipad and show her, they basically say it's a bargain that will appreciate.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:51 AM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 778 Likes on 498 Posts

I grew up in Chicago suburbs and got transferred back there before retirement in 2003-2005. We lived in Bolingbrook and my commute was to the vicinity of Pulaski and I-55. I was fortunate enough to have a company vehicle to drive(four wheel drive Jeep), but I would not have wanted a 996 to drive that route for even two years! Traffic was bad occasionally like when a dump truck turned over on I-55! Snow can be an issue even though they do a good job of clearing it off quickly I wouldn't drive mine in it and it is a 4S. I would guess in one of those 10" snow storms you might get near home but if the side streets aren't plowed it would be game over due to low clearances. There are those that say put winter tires and wheels on it and drive the H out of it. Ok..fine...not me. I worry more about the idiots who don't know how to drive on snow more than me getting in trouble. As far as a DD, even in good weather, a lot of people do that and for their age it is a reliable car. "Practical car" sure maybe but better suited as a toy to play with or occasional use. Just my two cents...
Old 01-14-2019, 12:08 PM
jazz11man1
Instructor

Originally Posted by wildbilly32
I grew up in Chicago suburbs and got transferred back there before retirement in 2003-2005. We lived in Bolingbrook and my commute was to the vicinity of Pulaski and I-55. I was fortunate enough to have a company vehicle to drive(four wheel drive Jeep), but I would not have wanted a 996 to drive that route for even two years! Traffic was bad occasionally like when a dump truck turned over on I-55! Snow can be an issue even though they do a good job of clearing it off quickly I wouldn't drive mine in it and it is a 4S. I would guess in one of those 10" snow storms you might get near home but if the side streets aren't plowed it would be game over due to low clearances. There are those that say put winter tires and wheels on it and drive the H out of it. Ok..fine...not me. I worry more about the idiots who don't know how to drive on snow more than me getting in trouble. As far as a DD, even in good weather, a lot of people do that and for their age it is a reliable car. "Practical car" sure maybe but better suited as a toy to play with or occasional use. Just my two cents...
Thanks for the feedback. I commute ~10 miles each way, primarily on Lake Shore Drive and when I go, there is little-to-no traffic. There is snow, however (though surprisingly little this year). In days when the weather was particularly bad, I would either take an Uber/Lyft or bus.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:37 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a 40th with IMS solution. I have put about 57k miles on it; up to 98k total now. I have done plenty of work commuting and long trips. The stock suspension is plenty high and soft. The stock mufflers are plenty quiet. The stock radio works okay exception you need a dension or something for hooking up bluetooth.

If you are a skilled winter driver I suppose it would do okay with the right tires.

The 997 is a great car too but there's no real difference in IMS risk between the two; I'd pick whichever one you can get for lowest miles and nicest condition within your budget.

Even though I am not an AWD fan, I would search for a C4S in your position- they can be found with X51 (or come with x51 standard?).
Old 01-14-2019, 12:39 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

also I should add...I strongly prefer to DD the E39 M5 over the 911. Massive trunk, room for 5 people, gas mileage not horrible, no one pays attention to it, and wayyyy better torque for stop and go driving. Not to mention the clutch is really easy and the shifter works well. It just eats up highway miles. Unfortunately a huge pain to maintain and, condition-for-condition, getting to be more expensive than a 40th. low-mileage 996s aren't that uncommon but low-mileage E39 M5s are worth their weight in gold now.

Quick Reply: 40th Anniversary Edition as DD