Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

13k mile 1 owner 2000 996,What would you Pay???

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 01:30 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good looking car, congrats! I hope you drive it more than the previous owner!

Regarding the oil changes, it's nice the owner changed the oil regardless of miles. FSI recommends 6 months or 5K miles, which ever comes first. I think others shoot for 5K or at least once a year.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:36 PM
Billup
Burning Brakes

Received 592 Likes on 330 Posts

Congrats on the purchase, that paint shines like it just rolled off the line!
Old 01-24-2019, 02:45 PM
joseph mitro
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 159 Posts

Beautiful car. You did well. I personally think that sort of low mileage car is going to appreciate in the coming years.

I paid $27k for an aero 996 with 26k miles on it; the low mileage cars are out there.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:28 PM
1timearound
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I paid a premium for what, to me, feels like a new car.
I still see so much value here. It’s so fresh and SO clean 😎
And best of all, my wife digs it.

Thanks for all the well wishes ! 🤙🏽
Old 01-25-2019, 12:53 PM
MadIrish
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

One owner '02 in Guards Red with 43k on the odometer. ~30k. Looks like there may be plenty of service records. Unkown options (have asked for options sticker for giggles).
https://www.carsforsale.com/VehicleA...1548347662.653

https://www.rdsautomotivegroup.com/i...73/?dealer=rds

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...AA29932S620511

Old 01-25-2019, 05:47 PM
Horsepwr
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Congrats
Old 01-27-2019, 11:41 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,587 Likes on 991 Posts

OP - congrats!!

I don’t think you paid a premium by the way. Maybe if you paid $32-$35k, then sure. 13k miles is almost like new. Which means that even if you drive it a lot, you will still have a lower mileage car after many years. I bought a Blue Boxster that had 28,000 on it and it was like new. I couldn’t believe it. Only one thing failed, and it was the fuel pump, an easy, $600 all-in repair. You bought a new Porsche for under $30k, that’s amazing.

As for buying garage queens, both my 986S and 996 were garage queens. What’s the alternative, buy a car that was beat on or abused? I test drove many of these cars that were run hard. They had the rock chips to prove it too. The truth is, every time a car is started, there’s wear. Drive it up to temp and you’re good. But any mileage past a certain amount does nothing but add wear to your car. All miles are not created equal. People who only drive their car in nice weather aren’t always doing their cars a service. A red car in California that driven in nice weather may have plenty of sun damage. Those that drive in the snow in areas where they don’t salt the high quality roads are treating their cars just fine by driving in the winter.

Sounds like you got a nice car, and I’m guessing you will have plenty of trouble free operation as it sounds like it was well cared for.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:50 PM
Carsly
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Congrats! Enjoy it in good health and let the Porsche memories flow!
Old 01-31-2019, 06:51 AM
Kenqv
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bought my 2004 last year with 11,000 miles.. had Raby do the Solution and air/oil box and never looked back and no regrets.
i do agree too low mileage can be a curse but i caught mine in time and it has exhibited zero issues and I believe this car was well bought
because sometimes you Just Have a Feeling or draw to a car and it justifies paying a little more over worrying about the one that got away.
Congrats i say.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:11 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats!! And nice choice. For a few thousand more (if that), you got the car YOU wanted. And I bet it still smells new inside. That's worth a premium to me!

I bought my 2000 in '07, with 17k miles on it, MINT shape, and never regretted not waiting for a cheaper car that wouldn't smell new!
Old 01-31-2019, 04:02 PM
2002C2
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

FWIW, I paid right around there for a 2002 c2 (surprising by my screen name) w/ 24k miles, single owner, color combo I wanted, and best part was about 15 miles from my house. All that added up plus the fact that I won’t do this every day - a no brainer for me and I couldn’t be happier. Good Luck with your decision.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:55 PM
CYTH
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyK
Congrats!! And nice choice. For a few thousand more (if that), you got the car YOU wanted. And I bet it still smells new inside. That's worth a premium to me!

I bought my 2000 in '07, with 17k miles on it, MINT shape, and never regretted not waiting for a cheaper car that wouldn't smell new!
I don't chime in too often but decided to on this regard of "low mileage" cars being a detriment. Like any car buying used (and even new since often a vehicle has a "history" stemming from some port of entry mishap)
a PO or dealer history if available is important.

That said I have purchased 4 low mileage cars with ZERO issues over the years ( I still own them) and each has had its maintenance completed over time to retain as much as possible the condition of the car when purchased. Not going into a long slog of explanation I just prefer my personal cars clean and original. Items such as interior trim, etc are often in much better condition on low mileage cars (unless abused and this WILL be readily apparent) sorting out this kind of stuff can be extremely expensive and time-consuming to source . Now, this depends on if one cares.

For example:
2002 Porsche 996 C2 located July 2015 with just under 7k miles. Sure it's "just a C2" but that was what I was looking for it's been a fantastic car. 33k at that time.
1988 Porsche 928 located November 2012 with 24k. Manual, LSD one owner. No issues to this date. $26k purchase price
1978 Jaguar XJ6L located just last November with 11.5k miles. One owner, service records for each year. But I was really only interested in the last 8 to ten years, to be honest. I drove it home from Maryland to Michigan and it was pretty much "flawless". Quotes meaning a 40 year old English car actually made it 600 miles to its destination, not on a flatbed. lol.
2005 BMW 330ci ZHP located July 2008 with 23.5k Manual, No Issues to this date (but I have a done a few mods..-) 21k Purchase price. Retail was 31k att he time but I worked for the dealer at the time so wholesale

So the "meaningless" banter above is really only stating that buy what "talks" to you. Clearly some of us...ok me... have multiple voices in their head but I digress. Research the info on your car of choice and get a PPI if you can. That said. sometimes a car DOES NOT come up again depending on what you are looking for. Low mileage or not. I missed a high mileage 1985 MR2 (AW11) body last year due to it's "high mileage" of 178k (which I found is more often average for these cars now) BUT it had all of its trim, interior and exterior was perfect in Arizona and was the color I wanted (white). all for 6k. I have not seen another like it yet close but not IT. And the prices have doubled since then for clean examples. Crap.

So GO for it...If you haven't done so already.

It's also an excuse to post images... lol

Old 02-01-2019, 08:19 PM
AP328
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

First of all, congratulations!! I am in complete agreement with the poster immediately above. My 2003 targa, and 2004 GT3 both had under 24,000 miles and the Boxster that I have owned since new has under 6,000 miles (actually all in kilometers up here). Our 997 turbo was purchased with 4,000 miles and now has under 7,000 miles and I have had NONE of the low mileage issues that people seem to suggest. I look for low mileage cars when buying used, and while one still needs to do a thorough inspection, there is nothing like owning a vehicle that has been well maintained and looks new top to bottom.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:22 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

The low mile issue is with garage queens that may have sat for long periods without their fluids changed, like old acidic oil etching moving parts for years...If maintained properly these issues would be minimal in my opinion.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:13 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,100 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by CYTH
I don't chime in too often but decided to on this regard of "low mileage" cars being a detriment. Like any car buying used (and even new since often a vehicle has a "history" stemming from some port of entry mishap)
a PO or dealer history if available is important.

That said I have purchased 4 low mileage cars with ZERO issues over the years ( I still own them) and each has had its maintenance completed over time to retain as much as possible the condition of the car when purchased. Not going into a long slog of explanation I just prefer my personal cars clean and original. Items such as interior trim, etc are often in much better condition on low mileage cars (unless abused and this WILL be readily apparent) sorting out this kind of stuff can be extremely expensive and time-consuming to source . Now, this depends on if one cares.

For example:
2002 Porsche 996 C2 located July 2015 with just under 7k miles. Sure it's "just a C2" but that was what I was looking for it's been a fantastic car. 33k at that time.
1988 Porsche 928 located November 2012 with 24k. Manual, LSD one owner. No issues to this date. $26k purchase price
1978 Jaguar XJ6L located just last November with 11.5k miles. One owner, service records for each year. But I was really only interested in the last 8 to ten years, to be honest. I drove it home from Maryland to Michigan and it was pretty much "flawless". Quotes meaning a 40 year old English car actually made it 600 miles to its destination, not on a flatbed. lol.
2005 BMW 330ci ZHP located July 2008 with 23.5k Manual, No Issues to this date (but I have a done a few mods..-) 21k Purchase price. Retail was 31k att he time but I worked for the dealer at the time so wholesale

So the "meaningless" banter above is really only stating that buy what "talks" to you. Clearly some of us...ok me... have multiple voices in their head but I digress. Research the info on your car of choice and get a PPI if you can. That said. sometimes a car DOES NOT come up again depending on what you are looking for. Low mileage or not. I missed a high mileage 1985 MR2 (AW11) body last year due to it's "high mileage" of 178k (which I found is more often average for these cars now) BUT it had all of its trim, interior and exterior was perfect in Arizona and was the color I wanted (white). all for 6k. I have not seen another like it yet close but not IT. And the prices have doubled since then for clean examples. Crap.

So GO for it...If you haven't done so already.

It's also an excuse to post images... lol
Thanks for sharing the pics. That is quite a collection of fine cars. The 996 looks awesome and I love the looks of that Jaguar! That must be quite a ride.

Quick Reply: 13k mile 1 owner 2000 996,What would you Pay???