Sponsored by:

IMS Bearing, what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 07:51 PM
rabele
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IMS Bearing, what would you do?

Some unpleasant news from my Indy today. See pictures below of glitter in and around the IMS bearing and engine case.
Recommendations on how to proceed?

The bearing

Where it lived for 20 years

Its an early build (03/98), 1999 C2 (throttle cable), tiptronic (so no overrevs), black on black. hollow spoke techno wheels, nice interior, 67K miles.
She was new to me in November and saw relatively mild (occasional revs up to 6K when warm) local weekend driving since purchase by me.
I've loved the time I've spent with the car, both driving and wrenching on it to do the easier maintenance jobs (struts, brake pads rotors, engine mounts, fuel/air/cabin/oil filters, belt, oil sump drop, speaker refresh).
Had Indy drop the engine and trans to do AOS, Coolant tank, some hoses, and replace the RMS and IMSB.... thats when we got these pics.
I intend to get some bore scoping done. I wish I could have gotten data on cam deviations and compression tests, but alas, that didn't happen.
I'll know more tomorrow but so far the material was described as fine and glittery. (as opposed to chunky I guess?)

I assume the two main options are:
1) replace it, go with a spin on oil filter and magnet and hope for the best or
2) find an honorable way to get rid of the car.

So, knowing full well that you guys will probably offer a WIDE range of opinions, I'd still be curious to read what you'd do/recommend.
(sadly, writing this felt a bit like writing a eulogy but I can't say I've given up yet. YET.)
Old 02-22-2019, 07:56 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 956 Posts

Vertex FL rebuilt engines as I recall 10k exchange core.

For newbie and future readers oil filter inspection and cam timing deviation might have caught this before engine drop.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:10 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

So are you 100% certain glitter source is your IMS bearing?

If so the question is how much glitter is inside your engine and where did it go?

With the engine out you can pull off the sump plate and cam covers and investigate, also scope the cylinders and do a leak down test. Probably worth investigating before getting too depressed about your motor.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:10 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 142 Likes on 116 Posts

How about oil analysis, wouldn't that tell you if there are "metallics" in the oil?
Old 02-22-2019, 08:14 PM
rabele
Intermediate

Fair, should have mentioned I did do oil filter inspection.
It didn't seem significant to me at the time. Not being defensive, I just mean there were a few sparkles but could count them on one hand. (No pics to share of that.)
Prior owner said oil was recently changed though ... so there wasn't much mileage to show up in the filter either probably.
I dropped the sump and there was a fine fuzz of ferrous material on the magnetic drain plug.
Some plastic-y rubbery chunks on the oil pick up, pics attached below.
Welcome guesses as to that stuff too, but academic to the main discussion....
Old 02-22-2019, 08:17 PM
rabele
Intermediate

Oil analysis was ... Blackstone. So take it for what its worth? I know there are opinions. But it was my first....

Old 02-22-2019, 08:21 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by rabele
Fair, should have mentioned I did do oil filter inspection.
It didn't seem significant to me at the time. Not being defensive, I just mean there were a few sparkles but could count them on one hand. (No pics to share of that.)
Prior owner said oil was recently changed though ... so there wasn't much mileage to show up in the filter either probably.
I dropped the sump and there was a fine fuzz of ferrous material on the magnetic drain plug.
Some plastic-y rubbery chunks on the oil pick up, pics attached below.
Welcome guesses as to that stuff too, but academic to the main discussion....
Does that stuff feel like RTV or harder plastic? if its RTV then someone went overboard with it on your sump or cam covers; if its hard plastic it looks like chain guide material
Old 02-22-2019, 09:26 PM
rabele
Intermediate

Soft. RTV. Silicone-type consistency. It was my guess at the time that someone went nuts with the sump seal.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:32 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 414 Likes on 193 Posts

Do a couple oil flushes, replace the bearing and go from there before throwing $20k + at it.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:46 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 544 Posts

Sorry but it's to late for that motor...Factory short block would be the eco route.
That oil analysis was done when you got the car with fresh oil if I'm reading this right. New oil that showed wear of a 4000k oil sample?
Old 02-22-2019, 09:49 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Where's the IMSB? Apparently without seeing it, I presume it came out in chunks. What would I do?
1. Flush the engine as much as possible with kero or diesel fuel. Including the oil pump and inlet. If you can remove and clean the oil cooler exchanger do that.
2. Install a full flow oil filter kit and filter, no more bypass.
3. Put in a new IMSB.
4. New oil.
5. Run it for an hour. Change oil/filter.
6. Run it for another hour. Change oil/filter.
7. Hope for the best.

I KNOW of two engines that have suffered metal in the engine and were saved. One was a Boxster, one was a late 996. It's just a matter of how far gone it is.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:55 PM
rabele
Intermediate

Originally Posted by docmirror
Where's the IMSB? Apparently without seeing it, I presume it came out in chunks.
Do you mean the shaft? The bearing should be the first pic.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:00 PM
rabele
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Sorry but it's to late for that motor...Factory short block would be the eco route.
That oil analysis was done when you got the car with fresh oil if I'm reading this right. New oil that showed wear of a 4000k oil sample?
Bill, you're killing me. But its a fair question. I honestly have no proof of how old the oil was. I was told it was changed by the seller, but also possible it hadn't.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:14 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by rabele
Do you mean the shaft? The bearing should be the first pic.
No, I meant the bearing. I thought that might be the drain plug, but I guess that is the bearing. My advice stays the same. Clean, clean, clean, new full flow kit, oil and filter a few times and hope.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:19 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

If you can afford it and have the skills, I’d do a full teardown and inspection at this point. If you decide to sell how close is this car to DFW? I have a truck, can get a trailer and think I might be up to it.

Quick Reply: IMS Bearing, what would you do?