Sponsored by:

Water/Oil mix in Coolant reservoir

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 10:42 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by alex.rhodes
I'm not a lawyer, but played an investigator in a past life. You may have provided the evidence you need further up.

read the middle paragraph of your response from my screenshot, and then read it again, slowly. The dealership had already diagnosed a problem involving some sort of coolant leak and were hesitant to let you take it for a test drive. They finally relented and then allowed you to buy it. They may have had prior knowledge of the damage.

Once again, I'm not a lawyer and not offering you legal advice. If you take this information to a lawyer they can offer you a legal opinion of the information.

I wish you the best.
Good point, but you must understand fraud in this case would have to involve premeditated action(s) to withhold or hide information (i.e. disclosure) from the potential buyer. That wasn't the case. The dealership made the buyer aware of the problem, but they didn't even know the extent of the damage to the engine. In used car sales that one is very hard to prove as his lawyers have wisely pointed out. Many states have made extra legal measures (i.e. lemon law, cooling off law, etc.) to protect buyers, but when the dust settles, a used car sold "as-is" is just that - AS IS. There is little recourse against the dealership since the buyer knowingly bought the car "as-is" and was made aware of the problem. In good faith, the dealership was willing to pay to have it repaired up to a certain threshold. That being, $2,200. The dealership never agreed to pay for a complete engine rebuild even though the mechanic clearly stated that a engine replacement or rebuild was needed. The buyer never offered a service agreement or any type of warranty from the dealer. Did the dealer give the buyer the shaft? Yes! They could have bought the car back, but they chose their battles and if this were to go to court, they'd win. IMHO.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:37 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 544 Posts

Yup, hard lesson to learn when buying a used car...
Johnathan, I sent you a good lead via PM.
Old 04-06-2023, 03:55 PM
mmluis
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Porsche 996 - Can you refer a good Porsche repair shop in Miami?

Hello, I am new to this forum. My 1999 Porsche 996 has oil/coolant mix. The cylinder heads may have to be sent out for repair. Can you refer a good, trustworthy, quality Porsche repair shop in Miami? Thank you.
Old 04-06-2023, 04:09 PM
jobyt
Pro

Received 306 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by mmluis
Hello, I am new to this forum. My 1999 Porsche 996 has oil/coolant mix. The cylinder heads may have to be sent out for repair. Can you refer a good, trustworthy, quality Porsche repair shop in Miami? Thank you.
Can't recommend a local shop, but have them sent to Hoffman - https://newsite.hamheads.com
Old 04-06-2023, 04:13 PM
mmluis
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by jobyt
Can't recommend a local shop, but have them sent to Hoffman - https://newsite.hamheads.com
Hoffman is the perfect one to repair them but he's asked me to get a local shop to send them to him, and who can service the car long term. So, I am looking for a reputable Porsche shop in Miami. Thank you for your help.
Old 04-06-2023, 05:15 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,283 Likes on 1,715 Posts

@TheChunkNorris is a miami resident but has weird job hours so he should see this eventually and maybe has a good contact?
The following users liked this post:
TheChunkNorris (04-08-2023)
Old 04-06-2023, 05:15 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 1,859 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by mmluis
Hoffman is the perfect one to repair them but he's asked me to get a local shop to send them to him, and who can service the car long term. So, I am looking for a reputable Porsche shop in Miami. Thank you for your help.
Hey Brother I’m in Miami. I use Limitless in Cutler Bay. Park Haus is another well known one in South Miami and you can try Vertex.
Old 04-06-2023, 06:01 PM
mmluis
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris
Hey Brother I’m in Miami. I use Limitless in Cutler Bay. Park Haus is another well known one in South Miami and you can try Vertex.
Thank you for the suggestion!
Old 04-07-2023, 09:32 AM
Schu3507
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

I read through this entire thread last eve while at work. This re affirms and I heard a long time ago when I bought my first 944. “There is no such thing as a cheap Porsche”.
I’ve bought approximately 43 cars in my short life. Some new and many used cars. High end and lower. Being said I’ve had buyers remorse and some nightmare scenarios. Actually bought a 1992 Cadillac Seville that blew a head gasket and needed new engine. Cost me 5200$ and that’s back in 1998.
Being said this was almost worse case situation when buying a 996 or any 911 I guess. It seems to good to be true it usually is. I had 77 930 turbo. Cost me 8500$ in repairs so could drive and not catch fire! I bought off a celebrity son too!! Well traded for a new hd soft tail.
One response I found humorous was the response from Johnathan that was asking about tires for this car? I’m sorry sir but you need to reset your priorities, sell this car as a roller for someone to make into driver wt new engine and start your search over. Maybe dodged a bullet financially. Probably get 10-12k for it as sits if clean body and no accidents. Then really delve into the idiosyncrasies common problems and overall knowledge of the Porsche 996 cars. Spend more upfront and drive happier. I always said cry once. Good luck. I’m sorry it happened. Can’t say I haven’t been in that situation. It’s just been a while and I did feel for you on many levels. Good luck have a safe weekend folks.
Old 04-13-2024, 08:25 PM
Sagecayman
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hello,
If I do have to buy a new head for one side, but the other is fine, do you think its wise to just replace both, and get two new heads? Or of 1 is bad, just buy only 1?

Originally Posted by Dharn55
That would be me with the new head. I bought this head years ago, shortly after I had my intermix and fixed it. Bought it on a whim and it has been sitting in my shop since then. This is the head and cam cover with valves, springs, etc. It does not have the cams, etc. you would have to source these separately. I do have a set of 3.4 cams too. The retail price of a new head from Porsche is about $3,800. I am asking $1,800.00 plus shipping. PM me if you are interested.

Old 04-14-2024, 10:18 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 992 Posts

I’m certainly not an expert, but I would think a cracked/bad head is rare, and you shouldn’t have to replace the 2nd head. That said, the engine is probably torn down at this point, right, and you’re probably going to be rebuilding it, and when it comes to engine rebuilds, I think doing an X-ray (Magnaflux) on the block and heads might be a good idea to make sure they are intact without any cracks.

Quick Reply: Water/Oil mix in Coolant reservoir