Sponsored by:

brake wear sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 03:17 AM
longrowe
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default brake wear sensor

My '98 C2 coupe's brake wear sensor came on during a DE last week. Was on during the drive home but the next morning when I went to work it was off. So I am thinking it was an erroneous reading. Two days later on the way to work, it comes back on and remains on for the drive home and the drive to work on day 3. On the way home, day 3, the light is off. I have ordered new pads and sensors because at 120000km I think they have lived a good life, but what is the deal with the indicator? I thought as the pads wore down, the indicator shorted out and signaled the "time to replace". Why do I get a light randomly?
Here is a picture because diagnosis is always easier with a picture!

Old 03-15-2019, 06:13 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

You didn't really need to have bought new sensors but now you have use them on the new pads. You will find more wear on the front pads than the rear but go ahead and change them all around the car. .
Old 03-15-2019, 01:52 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,365 Likes on 1,975 Posts

De and track days usually overheat the sensors and they become erratic. I've seen brand new pads and sensors start acting up after just 1 De day. That's most people that do a lot of track time end up just using a jumper to keep the light off.or use track pads with no sensors then switch back to street pads with sensors.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:30 PM
longrowe
Instructor

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
De and track days usually overheat the sensors and they become erratic. I've seen brand new pads and sensors start acting up after just 1 De day. That's most people that do a lot of track time end up just using a jumper to keep the light off.or use track pads with no sensors then switch back to street pads with sensors.
Ah, good to know. Well, I have new pads and sensors on the way so if they continue to act up I will change them.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:35 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 253 Posts

I had an erratic sensor and it turned out that the front pads were down to their limits. Somehow it was a small enough change in thickness that it started to occasionally trigger the sensor. I didn’t think it was possible either. I did a full brake job with new Sebro sensors and all is well.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:48 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

I had a similar issue. I looked at all of the sensors and none of them were worn through. The problem continued intermittently. Eventually I removed each sensor completely to examine them. One of them had a broken wire on the end that plugs into the car - not the end that plugs into the pads. I replaced that one sensor and all is good.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:21 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 451 Likes on 334 Posts

If you do a search on brake sensors you will find recommendations to zip tie the sensor back or replace with a jumper when you track. I had a replacement set of sensors on the front with my track pads that started to melt from the heat, not rotor contact, so tied back. My track pads, Hawk DCT-60, are too squeaky for the street and I replace with OEM if I plan on doing extensive street driving. Are you using OEM pads for DE?
Old 03-15-2019, 09:32 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

A lot of folks don't use sensors if they track their car. Especially handy to those that change it to racing pads just for the event. As someone here mention that it is easy to disable them by just shorting the leads. I disabled the sensors too and found just eye-balling the thickness of the pad material works just as good.
Old 03-16-2019, 01:10 AM
longrowe
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kitc2246
If you do a search on brake sensors you will find recommendations to zip tie the sensor back or replace with a jumper when you track. I had a replacement set of sensors on the front with my track pads that started to melt from the heat, not rotor contact, so tied back. My track pads, Hawk DCT-60, are too squeaky for the street and I replace with OEM if I plan on doing extensive street driving. Are you using OEM pads for DE?
i was on my stock pads for this DE. I probably do 1-2 track days a year so having a dedicated set of track pads isn’t on my radar. Good info about tying back the sensors, I will do this next time. Once my new sensors show up I will pull all the wheels and figure out which one is having an issue.
Old 10-09-2021, 10:12 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 203 Posts

Yeah , I know this is an old thread, but it popped up when I did a search.

I have new brakes at all four corners with less than 200 miles on them. This night when I hit a bump in the road, the light came on. Maybe the sensor is kaput? I'll have to take a closer look in the AM.
Old 10-10-2021, 01:09 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,501 Likes on 2,018 Posts

FWIW, I removed my sensors back in 2004 and haven't thought about them until reading this thread. They were doing the same thing that yours are doing. If you do remove them, you will need to pay attention to your pad wear. As a side note, there may be a time that you decide to run track pads year round. I have been running Pagid Yellows on the street and track forever. One less thing to worry about.
Old 10-10-2021, 05:04 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 203 Posts

^ thanks, good idea

Quick Reply: brake wear sensor