996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

"Porsche " envy ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 03:53 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got mooned the other day...luckily I had my top up and got mooned by a girl...so this wasn't so bad...her boyfriend was driving the truck....there are some strange people in the world!! I deliberatly drive my P to meetings, my clients have to know why they pay me soo much money!! And I have to show that I am not a starving artist but one they can trust the job to. Reason enough to upgrade the front and make the P look like a 04........just because I am too cheap to pay more for a newer one!!

About the ones that can't handle it: screw them...I am working my a... off to have the lifestyle I want...and I know people who do a lot better and if I see them in their new P's and F's and in my area Lambo's......I am happy for them and hope that one day it will be me.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:02 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default No Question

A prime example is my father in law - now here's a guy in his 80s who drove a TR3B for years, then Buicks (of course). His other son in law got a 350Z a few years ago, and he couldn't say enough. But when he gazed at my '04 Atlas C4S coupe last week, his only reply was "looks like every other damn sports car on the road!" Maybe his issue isn't with Porsche, but he just has a problem with me. Oh well, move on.

Phil
Old 03-21-2006, 11:13 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera Mike
This is what I get all the time at work

Just to be sarcastic, I just say... "I used my daughter's college funds"
I've also gotten the "How can you afford this?" line.

I used to say "Always marry rich instead of good looking. My wife's family owns oil companies in Texas and my father in-law bought this for me when we got married."

Old 03-21-2006, 11:45 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 215 Posts

I get some envy from co-workers and friends, but I think it is the nice "wow - wish I had one too!" envy and not the "rich jerk!" kind of envy. I'm actually more hesitant to show people the house than the car. I work at an internet security company that went IPO pre-bubble (I wasn't here yet ), and when it went public all the R&D team went out and bought Porsches.

Most of them are no longer here, or have burned through their easy cash. I'm in it for the long run and invest tons more than I spent on the car.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:57 PM
Deven
Pro

Received 173 Likes on 88 Posts

When Raid said he was going to bring this thread to life I was thinking WTF, the thread is only 3 days old, then I noticed it started in 2004, lol.

Damm, after reading this thread, I was starting to get depressed. I was feeling quite confident, relaxed, happy with the good fortunes in life (my wife and I are both physicians), so the points that people have been making have been 'repressed' or 'ignored' by me. After reading the anecdotes, now I am starting to second guess my happiness. I suppose that the proffession that one is in does play a role as I am sure most people would not be surprised with their physician driving a nice car, but general peoples views on the road may be quite different.

Like Orange County (Irvine, where I am visiting right now), Porsche's seem to be a common site in Scottsdale, so perhaps I have been sheltered from the resentment. I was seriously thinking about a 'flashy' color (red, yellow, and in particular zanzibar red has always tickled my fancy) but after reading this thread I am glad I picked a 'conservative' color. Hearing about people giving the finger, spitting on cars etc seems extremely scary almost to the point if my wife heard about these things happening she would urge me to get rid of the car.

My personal experiences so far have been only positive (or perhaps I have been naive and people are talking behind my back?). Most of my friends are also physicians, so that is why we might have been sheltered? This thread has been eye opening and re-inforces the notion to be as humble as possible and refraigning from sticking out (with prominent car colors).
Old 03-21-2006, 07:01 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 215 Posts

Deven - don't listen to the naysayers. If you find a yellow car the color of a neon marker, or one that's fire engine red, and it appeals to you - GET IT. Never base your happiness off the opinions of others.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:24 PM
bdronsick
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 584 Posts

I can't believe all this nonsense. "To thine own self be true." A Porsche comes from the inside out; as does everything else. For those who drive them not to would be a lie. Our father-in-laws drive rusted Buicks because that's what they are. We drive Porsches because that's what we are. Period.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:37 PM
Joe Anstett
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are not what you drive.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:48 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by riad
I've also gotten the "How can you afford this?" line.

I used to say "Always marry rich instead of good looking. My wife's family owns oil companies in Texas and my father in-law bought this for me when we got married."

Old 03-22-2006, 06:15 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

My wife makes as much as I do, and she was the one to encourage me to buy the car, so I just say "It was a gift from my wife" and if they ask more I say "She's a muck at *****"
Old 03-23-2006, 12:08 AM
daedney
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm a Project Designer/Manager with an architectural firm. I've heard the "we're paying you too much" line more time than I care to from clients and contractors. I focus on Fire Station design and hear this from a lot of Fire Chiefs. I always just tell them that my Porsche probably cost less than the decked out Surburban they drive. Once a Chief walked me out after a meeting and when he saw what I was driving his face really lit up. He then took me back inside to show me pictures of his Porsche (80's 944). Then he wanted a drive around the block being sure to tell me "not to hold back". He was very complimentary the entire time while asking me all kinds of questions.

It was really nice to run into someone that "understood" why I enjoy the car so much.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:39 AM
siddharth
Track Day

Wow ... Amazing thread guys. It makes me smile. My family had been very proud and most friends too were quite amazed. Very few negative reactions.

Some comments
(at airport picking up buddy, said cheerfully with a smile)
"You can't really park here .... but you can afford the ticket anyway"

(by current girlfriend)
"ooh !! That's awesome !! Lets go for long drives everyday" (then we come back to reality; work = no long drives everyday !!)

(by my ex-girlfriend, said "happily" but with total malice)
"Hmm ... so you easily get chicks huh ? Must be nice getting laid everynight differently" ---(WHAT THE F-_-_-_ ?!?!)

(by random people, said nicely)
"Nice car"/"Wow ... nice car dude"/"sweet"

(by an intern, naively)
"Hey ... it looks like a stretched fast going VW beetle !"

(by some close friends)
"oh f**k man ! Awesome ... I'm coming over right now!"
"damn ! this car looks great from every angle" (when I was finding the right camera angle sending snaps back to my parents)
"congratulations man ... you're the man !"

I've noticed that most people take a second or two to react. See, I look like a college kid (I'm 25) and they know I'm self supported - hence the confusion. I make ok money (some of you guys ... damn $$$!) but I love living life to the max (but never on credit). I make smart money moves but I won't call the porsche and "investment" .... its purely my indulgence and I love it !

In the end guys, live and let live. Don't let people come between your dreams and don't be ashamed to dream high.

to the thread that never dies !
Sid
Old 03-23-2006, 07:51 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a client in rural Macungie, PA. It was an oil pipeline company and the people there were very "conservative." Anyway, they wanted to have some "face time" with the software development team so we decided to drive up from VA and work there for a week (laptops, monitors, printers, etc. in tow.)

So we drove up and one team member drove his M3, another drove a pimped out Ford Excursion (with thousands of dollars in mods), another a new Lexus and I drove my 996 Cabriolet. These are all everyday cars in Northern Virginia but they caused quite a stir up in rural Macungie. The project manager told me that the client had commented that "we must pay you guys too much -- especially the guy with the Porsche" and "please tell the guy with the Porsche not to drive it here next time because some of the employees felt like he was 'showing off' and were offended."

I was a bit offended that they singled me out for driving a Porsche but not wanting to make any waves, I decided to take my more conservative SUV up to Macungie the following week for the acceptance testing sessions. And wouldn't you know it the project manager came up to me and told me that he got another comment from the client "He has a Lexus RX330 too?! Now we know we are paying too much! He should stop showing off!"

First of all, they do not pay me -- they pay my company and our hourly rates are very competitive. Secondly, we all joined the company pre-IPO and made a killing with the stock options (which eventually tanked when the bubble burst.) Some of us were lucky enough to get some toys out of it while others got screwed trying to come up with money to pay the AMT for the options they exercised right before the bubble burst (ouch!) Finally, I felt that it was a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. I switched to the SUV because the Porsche caused such a stir and it made the situation worse. Next time I will rent a Hyundai from Thrifty.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:13 AM
toddel68
Instructor

Originally Posted by programmatore
The project manager told me that the client had commented that "we must pay you guys too much -- especially the guy with the Porsche" and "please tell the guy with the Porsche not to drive it here next time because some of the employees felt like he was 'showing off' and were offended."
You should have given him the "my wife bought it for me" line.
Or offered him to give it to him as a present if he could guess the prices for all four cars within a 5000$ range. That would have demonstrated that he is a total jerk.

Thorsten
Old 03-23-2006, 08:43 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can believe this!

Originally Posted by programmatore
I had a client in rural Macungie, PA. It was an oil pipeline company and the people there were very "conservative." Anyway, they wanted to have some "face time" with the software development team so we decided to drive up from VA and work there for a week (laptops, monitors, printers, etc. in tow.)

So we drove up and one team member drove his M3, another drove a pimped out Ford Excursion (with thousands of dollars in mods), another a new Lexus and I drove my 996 Cabriolet. These are all everyday cars in Northern Virginia but they caused quite a stir up in rural Macungie. The project manager told me that the client had commented that "we must pay you guys too much -- especially the guy with the Porsche" and "please tell the guy with the Porsche not to drive it here next time because some of the employees felt like he was 'showing off' and were offended."

I was a bit offended that they singled me out for driving a Porsche but not wanting to make any waves, I decided to take my more conservative SUV up to Macungie the following week for the acceptance testing sessions. And wouldn't you know it the project manager came up to me and told me that he got another comment from the client "He has a Lexus RX330 too?! Now we know we are paying too much! He should stop showing off!"

First of all, they do not pay me -- they pay my company and our hourly rates are very competitive. Secondly, we all joined the company pre-IPO and made a killing with the stock options (which eventually tanked when the bubble burst.) Some of us were lucky enough to get some toys out of it while others got screwed trying to come up with money to pay the AMT for the options they exercised right before the bubble burst (ouch!) Finally, I felt that it was a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. I switched to the SUV because the Porsche caused such a stir and it made the situation worse. Next time I will rent a Hyundai from Thrifty.

Quick Reply: "Porsche " envy ?