Sponsored by:

Mystery connector in 2002 Targa engine harness

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 04:55 PM
iwanta996
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mystery connector in 2002 Targa engine harness

I just reinstalled my renewed engine in the 2002 Targa. Due to a fire in the engine bay when owned by the PO, I did not have good wire references on the loom. I bought used looms and got all wires reconnected to their proper locations, except for one. I am including a photo from an online ad, and the actual one from the engine bay of the Targa. Does anyone know what it connects to? It is flat, with six bullet (female) terminals, but only the 1,2 & 6 are being used. It is loomed into the same group of wires that contains the two large round engine harness connectors, coming from the under-carpet interior harness, and entering the engine bay on the right rear. The wire colors are orange/red, brown, and purple/green. The plastic case slides and locks into the male connector, but I just can't find it. The engine wants to start but just turns over. I wonder if this connector is the cause. It is only about 8" long measuring from the exit point of the main loom, so it has to connect on the right side. It is not the MAF, as that is spoken for. It's not the hatch connector as that is a 12-pin yellow plastic rectangular connector. Any ideas?

Old 09-08-2019, 09:47 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

Perhaps this will help. It goes to the "Automatic Exhaust Gas Recirculation Examination Connector". Whew.... It took like 10 minutes of looking at these damn wiring diagrams to find it. Although i am now really confused as the 996 does not have an EGR valve.

Old 09-08-2019, 10:43 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

The more i stare at this conundrum the more my head hurts. I am starting to believe this connector doesn't actually have a home. On some vehicles, they will have test connectors that are in the loom for testing purposes only and are meant to be connected to test equipment and not a part on the car. When viewing wiring diagrams you will notice the wires go to an actual part or to another page. These wires jest dead end and its called a "connector". I could be completely wrong but this lead me to believe its a test connector and not for a component. Can you take a better photo of where its located when the harness is on the engine so i can compare it to my car? perhaps i can see where it is on mine as a comparison?

The wiring diagram below shows what i mean about the wires go to a component or off the page. not simply dead end like the one shown for your connector.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:09 PM
iwanta996
Instructor

Thanks for finding that, and for your thoughts on the testing port. I noticed on the diagram that the location is listed as right front of engine. Doesn't "front" mean the side of the block closest to front of car? I was just under there this afternoon and there is nothing there. The connector fits perfectly into an open spot in the right side O2 sensors bracket by the right taillight. So, you may be right in noting that it could be for emissions testing. I have looked at the Ebay ads for rear harnesses (under the carpeting) which feed into the engine bay, and all years of the 996 coupes has the exact same 6-pin connector. Oddly enough, when I search for the 996 engine harness I don't see a single one of the male side (many are from the same seller and even the same cars). Could you or anyone with a 996 check to see if your car has a connector sitting loose in a bracket near the O2 sensor connectors? Thanks.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:11 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

That connector just plugs into an empty slot on the right side of the engine bay along with the bank 2 O2 sensors connectors. It's used for emission testing purposes.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:14 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Also confirmed....dead connector for testing only.

Old 09-08-2019, 11:54 PM
iwanta996
Instructor

That's a big relief. Thanks guys. But now to my no start condition. I just replaced the crankshaft position sensor with a spare one I had from a 2004 cracked block that I bought for parts. It did not change the no start condition. Fuel pump energizes when I turn the key on, and the relay clicks. Fuel pump fuse is ok. The engine fires briefly in the first two seconds of cranking, but then settles in to continuous cranking with no hint of firing. Could I have two bad sensors in a row?
Old 09-09-2019, 12:01 AM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

I will leave it to Ahsai from here. He has more diagnostic experience than myself with the M96 engine. Have you scanned for codes?
Old 09-09-2019, 12:07 AM
iwanta996
Instructor

Thanks for your help! I may need to start another thread to get others to focus just on the starting issue.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:18 AM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Start a new thread and give us as much details as possible. What all was replaced in the fire? What was damaged? Any modules replaced like the DME? If so were they programmed? I assume you have done basic checks like making sure all the fuses are good and the battery has enough voltage? The more details you provide the easier it is for us to help. Remeber that you have done the work so its all in your mind. We have only the limited info were given so give as much as you can to us.

Quick Reply: Mystery connector in 2002 Targa engine harness