Sponsored by:

Higher Operating Temp + Coolant Smell

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 05:27 PM
Skyman911
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Higher Operating Temp + Coolant Smell

The last couple of days I have notice my car running hotter than normal. It usually stays right at the 180 mark. It has now been creeping past the 180 mark, and I have a distinct smell of coolant. The coolant level was a little low and so I topped it off. Took it for a spirited drive today up a couple of local canyons. The temp rose between the 180 mark and the next temp indicator mark, the highest reading yet. Still a coolant odor. Any thoughts? I've had water pumps on other cars in the past that have had similar failure symptoms. The service records show the water pump was replaced about 8,000 miles ago. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Kyle
Old 09-08-2019, 08:43 PM
Skyman911
Instructor

Update to this thread. I took a look under the car after a couple of hours of sitting. There was a small puddle of coolant on the garage floor. I haven't had a chance to put it up on my lift yet. The leak seems to be coming from the left front to middle of the engine. Just behind the left rear wheel a bit. Not close to the water pump at all.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:29 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

You may want to check if there's any leak from the coolant tank or the cap. The lastest cap should have p/n ending in .04

Also check if both of your coolant fans work at both low and high speeds. When the a/c is ON, the fans should be ON at low speed. To test the high speed setting, you need a Durmatric cable or you can jumper the high speed relays.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:05 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

+1 on the above. Also just to point out.....The overflow bottles hose is located in a stupid spot directly above one of the ignition coils. When the cap leaks it give the illusions that the leak is actually coming from the left side of the engine when its not. After a long drive let the car sit for 5 minutes. then look around the overflow cap. You will see coolant around the cap most of the time if it is in fact the issue. Also take a good look at the overflow tank which is common to leak. If it bright white you may be good. if its yellow and old looking it could be an issue. Lastly if either of these are the culprit. Order only factory original parts. If you want to know why check the search feature. Aftermarkets fail quickly or leak from the start. If none of these are the leak you may need to pressure test the cooling systems to accurately diagnosis the leak.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:37 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,587 Likes on 991 Posts

What year is your car? My 99 started to smell like coolant when the temp got past the 0 of 180.

The higher the temp, the higher the pressure, so that will cause a small leak to leak more as the temp goes up.

On my car, the very last white line before red triggers the low speed fans. You would think that’s way too hot, but my ODBII reading showed only about 98C, which makes sense because the low speed fans are supposed to come on at 96.75, or when the AC button has been pressed (high speed fans come on at 102°C or when the air-conditioning fluid pressure switch is closed (coolant pressure > 16 bar)

On my car, there was a small leak in a very complicated hose that had 2 T junctions and lots of angles.

I recommend trying to find exactly where it’s leaking rather than go and try to replace items you think ‘could’ be the problem.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:06 PM
Skyman911
Instructor

More updates. Drove the car to work today. Easy 5 miles. No signs of leaking when parked. A hint of coolant smell. Drove home after work, the temp climbed past the 180 mark. Parked it in the garage and looked underneath while it was running. Turned on the AC and verified that the fans are operating. Turning on the AC seemed to increase the flow of coolant coming from the motor. The flow of coolant is coming from the front to middle part of the motor, and is now flowing at a pretty good rate. No longer driveable until repaired. So, if it is a connection or cap or tank that is leaking, why the increased temps? Something is causing this to run hotter than before. Faulty thermostat creating back pressure? No blockage of the radiators, or anything else. Seemed to just happen one day and is progressively getting worse.

Kyle
Old 09-09-2019, 10:39 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

You have a leak. Thats why its oveeheating. Doesnt matter the source. Loss of fluid introduces air pockets. Find the source and fix it. Thermostat replacement is a good idea ANY time the car has overheated.

Simply, fix the leak, change the stat, and a good time to change ALL the fluid. Ashai has an awesome write up on the forum on how to change all 6 gallons of the coolant. Works like a charm.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:27 AM
Skyman911
Instructor

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm heading out on a rafting trip for the next 5 days (Cataract Canyon). I'll report back after I return and trace the source of the leak.

Kyle

Quick Reply: Higher Operating Temp + Coolant Smell