Sponsored by:

Clutch Bleed with Brake Flush?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 09:27 PM
Brian_C
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Clutch Bleed with Brake Flush?

Hi. Should the clutch be bled at the same time the brakes are flushed? I read the clutch hydraulics piggyback off the brake lines. If the clutch line contains old brake fluid won’t it mix in with the new brake fluid and defeat the purpose of clean brake lines? Thanks for input.

FYI - the shwaben pressure bleeder is a great tool for a DYI. one note-the reservoir filter needs to be removed to pressurize.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:36 AM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 164 Posts

Did do that with my 964...changed the line too.
The following users liked this post:
Brian_C (12-08-2019)
Old 12-08-2019, 09:23 AM
relinuca
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default My 2cents

Most owners change the fluid in both systems at the same time.

relinuca
The following users liked this post:
Brian_C (12-08-2019)
Old 12-08-2019, 07:57 PM
Brian_C
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by relinuca
Most owners change the fluid in both systems at the same time.

relinuca
Seems logical. Thanks!
Old 12-08-2019, 07:58 PM
Brian_C
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by c didy
Did do that with my 964...changed the line too.
Makes sense to me. Thanks!
Old 01-15-2020, 06:56 AM
2005 996 C4S
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Opening up this older thread as I would like to get the opinion of some of you more experienced with Porsche maintenance. I recently flushed my brakes and slave cylinder. After flushing the clutch with the pedal in the normal position I read the forums and the service manual and noticed I should depress the clutch to the floor before bleeding. I knew I was not supposed to let it fall to the floor however I thought I still had pressure so I just pushed it down and it slammed to the floor... Of course! I then finished the bleed and everything seems fine. My question is what is the likelihood I damaged a seal by letting the clutch fall to the floor this one time? I now have pressure and everything feels fine. I however had read somewhere that the fear is that the seal could be damaged from this and cause a failure down the road. Curious is this is something I should be concerned with or if it is likely OK. Thank you in advance for any input anyone may have!

Rick
Old 01-16-2020, 06:58 AM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 2005 996 C4S
Opening up this older thread as I would like to get the opinion of some of you more experienced with Porsche maintenance. I recently flushed my brakes and slave cylinder. After flushing the clutch with the pedal in the normal position I read the forums and the service manual and noticed I should depress the clutch to the floor before bleeding. I knew I was not supposed to let it fall to the floor however I thought I still had pressure so I just pushed it down and it slammed to the floor... Of course! I then finished the bleed and everything seems fine. My question is what is the likelihood I damaged a seal by letting the clutch fall to the floor this one time? I now have pressure and everything feels fine. I however had read somewhere that the fear is that the seal could be damaged from this and cause a failure down the road. Curious is this is something I should be concerned with or if it is likely OK. Thank you in advance for any input anyone may have!

Rick
If you haven't noticed problems with the pedal feel, I'm guessing low mileage car? I've actually never seen someone mess up the clutch cylinder this way. I have known people to mess up a brake cylinder this way and they usually realize what they did within a couple of days of driving (when it does damage the seal, it seems to significantly damage it)
Old 01-16-2020, 07:04 AM
2005 996 C4S
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by marlinspike
If you haven't noticed problems with the pedal feel, I'm guessing low mileage car? I've actually never seen someone mess up the clutch cylinder this way. I have known people to mess up a brake cylinder this way and they usually realize what they did within a couple of days of driving (when it does damage the seal, it seems to significantly damage it)
Thank you for the reply marlinspike. The car has 29k miles so yeah it is a low miler. I have it put away for the winter so I haven't had it out on the roads yet for a real test. Here in New Hampshire the roads are terrible from December to April... In the garage however I have good pedal feel and it "seems" ok. I appreciate you taking the time to reply, I will hope for the best!

Quick Reply: Clutch Bleed with Brake Flush?