The 133,333 mile engine rebuild thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 07:26 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts
Default The 133,333 mile engine rebuild thread

I enjoyed most of a year with Speedy. My expectations were equaled or exceeded. I started a thread when I bought the car and followed up with the basic maintenance and discoveries. That thread is here: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...e-tune-up.html

Now it's time for a new thread. The engine finally exhibited one of the 57 failure modes. Coolant was getting into, at least, cylinder #5. It's time for an engine. This thread will follow that story.

This is where I left off today.

The following 4 users liked this post by Scott at Team Harco:
Cabracer (04-02-2020), flual80 (02-14-2020), Ratchet1025 (12-19-2019), sgara (04-30-2020)
Old 12-14-2019, 08:04 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 414 Likes on 193 Posts

Subbed!
Old 12-14-2019, 09:00 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 467 Likes on 329 Posts

Awesome, love a good build thread, good luck!
The following users liked this post:
flual80 (02-14-2020)
Old 12-14-2019, 09:19 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 134 Posts

Well, at least it’s the right time of year (in MI) for a project like that. It will be interesting to see what you find, and your plan to fix. Good luck.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:10 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 544 Posts

Old 12-16-2019, 12:41 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,359 Likes on 1,972 Posts

I'm betting that cylinder #5 has a cracked bore (ovaled so far it cracked). The common head cracking patters exhibit either coolant in the oil, or oil in the coolant, or both ways, doesn't usually get into the cylinder and on spark plugs.

Time to machine out the complete cylinder and go BIG BORE !!!
Old 12-16-2019, 01:44 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
I'm betting that cylinder #5 has a cracked bore (ovaled so far it cracked). The common head cracking patters exhibit either coolant in the oil, or oil in the coolant, or both ways, doesn't usually get into the cylinder and on spark plugs.

That was my second thought. I observed no oil in the coolant. The oil looked really nasty and it was quite obvious coolant was in cylinder #5. Haven't gotten far in the disassembly. Should know more by this coming weekend.

I am definitely looking at Nickies. If I read things correctly, that process can be performed even on cracked bores. That would be a big bonus, if so. And if I do go that route, I need to decide on how many other upgrades to select from their menu. A price breakdown would help with my decisions.

Don't want to get too far ahead of myself. Even though I bought one of these kits...

Old 12-16-2019, 01:56 PM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

Must......resist........wanting........to.........clean.........that.... ........engine!!! I have OCD when it comes to cleaning things, especially car parts. lol

Did you rally the C4? If so, a link to some videos?

Good luck with the engine rebuild.
Old 12-16-2019, 02:44 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Prelude Guy
Must......resist........wanting........to.........clean.........that.... ........engine!!! I have OCD when it comes to cleaning things, especially car parts. lol

Did you rally the C4? If so, a link to some videos?

Good luck with the engine rebuild.
You are welcome to come over and help. It is absolutely filthy - I know.

I did not rally it. However, I did layout the RallyCross course with it for our May event, this year. I also used it when I worked controls at one of our road rallies.

I intentionally resisted using it in competition, for the very reason I find myself in now. I didn't want to hasten the race to engine damage. I figured it would get there on its own just driving back and forth to work. Once I have a solid - known - engine, I will probably use it for RallyCross. I had been trying to coordinate a day for a photoshoot with a local photographer. The weather and timing never came together for us. It will now have to wait until the new engine is in.

All I have are pictures that I took after laying out the RallyCross course and the road rally I worked.

The following 2 users liked this post by Scott at Team Harco:
flual80 (02-14-2020), Ratchet1025 (12-19-2019)
Old 12-16-2019, 03:33 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porschetech3

You know what? I even questioned whether it was a crack or not, when I scoped the bores a while ago...

Old 12-16-2019, 03:55 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,078 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
That was my second thought. I observed no oil in the coolant. The oil looked really nasty and it was quite obvious coolant was in cylinder #5. Haven't gotten far in the disassembly. Should know more by this coming weekend.

I am definitely looking at Nickies. If I read things correctly, that process can be performed even on cracked bores. That would be a big bonus, if so. And if I do go that route, I need to decide on how many other upgrades to select from their menu. A price breakdown would help with my decisions.

Don't want to get too far ahead of myself. Even though I bought one of these kits...

Just give us a ring. We will break it all down for you. Cracked cylinders are not an issue. We machine out the original cylinders anyways.
Scott at Team Harco (12-16-2019)
Old 12-16-2019, 04:37 PM
latonnelier
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

You are welcome to come over and help. It is absolutely filthy - I know.

I did not rally it. However, I did layout the RallyCross course with it for our May event, this year. I also used it when I worked controls at one of our road rallies.

I intentionally resisted using it in competition, for the very reason I find myself in now. I didn't want to hasten the race to engine damage. I figured it would get there on its own just driving back and forth to work. Once I have a solid - known - engine, I will probably use it for RallyCross. I had been trying to coordinate a day for a photoshoot with a local photographer. The weather and timing never came together for us. It will now have to wait until the new engine is in.

All I have are pictures that I took after laying out the RallyCross course and the road rally I worked.
I sometimes think I'm a bad a$$ when I'm blasting up and down fire roads in my turbo beetle. If not for the Dieselgeek Panzer Plate under the motor I would have lost the oil pan long ago. But running a 996 cab is gonna be real bad a$$. I can see its in your blood but good on ya. Good luck with the build too. I'll be watching between work on my own motors. The costs add up pretty fast on these engines. My $300 M96 motor is looking to be somewhere in the low to mid teens when I get everything done, but I'm sure it will be worth it.

Engine builds are my favorite thing on the "list" so I wish all y'all a broken motor for the holidays
carlvs (12-23-2019)
Old 12-16-2019, 07:59 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
Just give us a ring. We will break it all down for you. Cracked cylinders are not an issue. We machine out the original cylinders anyways.
I'll do that. Thanks, Charles. This could be the beginning of a beautiful relationship.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:08 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Coopduc
Well, at least it’s the right time of year (in MI) for a project like that. It will be interesting to see what you find, and your plan to fix. Good luck.
Thanks, Charlie. Your saga inspired me. I'm thinking that I might go with the same shop that did your cylinder heads. Need to investigate options.
Originally Posted by 808Bill

Originally Posted by latonnelier
I sometimes think I'm a bad a$$ when I'm blasting up and down fire roads in my turbo beetle. If not for the Dieselgeek Panzer Plate under the motor I would have lost the oil pan long ago. But running a 996 cab is gonna be real bad a$$. I can see its in your blood but good on ya. Good luck with the build too. I'll be watching between work on my own motors. The costs add up pretty fast on these engines. My $300 M96 motor is looking to be somewhere in the low to mid teens when I get everything done, but I'm sure it will be worth it.

Engine builds are my favorite thing on the "list" so I wish all y'all a broken motor for the holidays
Yeah - you have no idea.

I know you're joking but I agree; more build threads are not necessarily a bad thing. Hopefully I can continue to learn from all of you, and at the same time give back in some way.
Old 12-17-2019, 04:41 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,359 Likes on 1,972 Posts

You know what? I even questioned whether it was a crack or not, when I scoped the bores a while ago...
WOW !! That looks like something was ingested, looks like the shape of a "feeler gauge end"..lol It will be interesting to see what caused that !!

Quick Reply: The 133,333 mile engine rebuild thread