996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What's It Worth - Revived Salvage '01 C2

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 04:42 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

Sounds like your decision is already made ........but shoot a lower offer to start
Old 12-18-2019, 04:56 PM
mrdeezy
Banned

Received 122 Likes on 58 Posts

"Thats like hey guys a found a great deal that means you are paying too much." That sounds ridiculous to me. "Hey someones dad gave him his 996, why not do that?" every situation on a used car is different.

Ims solution adds tremendous value because of the pre qualification checklist. The miles are good and the maintenance is the stickler on these cars.

As a guy said a couple post ago. Spent x amount of dollars to get to Daily driver status. Most 996's are just weekend cars getting oil changes by 97% of their owners. Just because you can get whatever for 20k doesn't really matter. ALL 996's or older german cars cost a ton of money to get to what I would call daily driver status today. We are talking motor mounts, tranny mounts, brakes, brake lines, coolant, water pump, plugs, suspension. ALL rubber items are 20 years old now. Every used car is unique. If this car is salvage and asking 15k and has every maintenance item done and ready to go with mid mileage and ims solution its worth 15k to someone.
Its not to me personally. I am just saying someone will buy it. Pretty much all 996's when bought in 2019 need several thousand dollars of little things done to them. They all cost 20k and end up to be 30k. Can you buy a 20k 996 and drive it 4 times a month? yeah sure...But to have something that has everything done is very valuable in the porsche world. Value is always going to be subjective. Several of us would not buy this car. But I can guarantee that its worth that much to someone. You could just do oil changes on it for several years with no major maintenance items and it would be a fun worry free car if everything checks out....That huge.
Old 12-18-2019, 05:10 PM
mrdeezy
Banned

Let's pretend everything else is the same and it has "Damage" instead of salvage on the title. It would probably be an 18,800, to 19,500 car. So as a salvage with all of the money spent on it I would be looking at it 14,200-15k. Not all savage is junk, most of it is though. If it was all screwed up and unloved then would go down to the 50% value threshold. But some salvage are decent or even nice and there are people who will buy them. It gets your group of buyers down about 80% but there are still people who will see the value in it. I only would recommend salvage cars to people with a lot of automotive experience. But realistically, there is a stamp on the title and the guy saved thousands if it checks out. I would be trying to get it for mid 13's with a cash in your face offer. And move up depending on how much you like it.
Old 12-18-2019, 05:45 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by mrdeezy
I think tons of these cars around 20k usually have a few to five years of deferred maintenance on rubber items or brakes.
This is often overlooked. The number of us who bought our cars in the $2X,000 range and have, to date, only spent $2X,000 total on our cars is very very low.*

*Those of us who have owned our cars for longer than a minute or two.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:27 PM
mrdeezy
Banned

The red targa that I have decided to keep I bought last august. Some of the stuff is elective but it was all going bad

numeric shifter (stock one was super sloppy)
brake pads, rotors, stainless lines. Yes all were near the end and my original rubber lines had cracks
tranny mount SHOT
engine mounts SHOT
tranny fluid OLD
coilovers (suspension was old)
Sway bar bushings and end links (junk)
tires (date codes were getting old)
spark plugs were 8 years old
thermostat wasn’t replaced on last water pump
i have done 3 oil changes in 14 months

i do all my own work so it wasn’t bad. But these were little things that added up that were needed for me to drive it. Someone else probably wouldn’t care and just do the oil changes once a year. But I keep my stuff in top condition. This stuff would cost a fortune for someone who exclusively takes their car to shops. So that stuff being done changes the value equation to me.
Old 12-18-2019, 11:10 PM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 395 Likes on 293 Posts

Budget to repaint,, $2000 PER body panel.. 500 for each spot smaller than your hand thats not just a plain chip repair..
That's an average I use and so far its been pretty darn close on almost any car..

My 03 c4 cab with 115K on it I paid 18 for.. But it was a bit of an impulse..
Old 12-19-2019, 09:00 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 544 Posts

Confirm it has the LN IMS Solution that was properly qualified and go for it.
Will insurance be an issue with a "Salvage Title"?
Old 12-19-2019, 12:10 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 467 Likes on 329 Posts

Not everyone will insure a salvage car but its not hard to find someone who will. I had State Farm cover a car I rebuilt back in 2010ish but not sure if they still do. The last one I had was Progressive and if it wasn't Progressive it was Geico. One of those companies wouldn't I know that.
Old 12-19-2019, 03:17 PM
1980SC
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

State Farm currently insures my flood salvaged 964 with full coverage. They have for 10 years now.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:57 PM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 395 Likes on 293 Posts

Salvage is also relative to the state where the title was originally stamped,, In Oregon salvage title doesn't mean squat,,
here if your car gets over 2000 dollars damage,, the state will often stamp the title based on the accident report,
When you consider 2K is a broken headlight and the 45 minutes to have the dealer replace it,, it could get a salvage title stamp here..
Almost any car that's stolen and recovered gets one.

Sucks..

Old 12-20-2019, 08:57 AM
GarrettSR5
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
Salvage is also relative to the state where the title was originally stamped,, In Oregon salvage title doesn't mean squat,,
here if your car gets over 2000 dollars damage,, the state will often stamp the title based on the accident report,
When you consider 2K is a broken headlight and the 45 minutes to have the dealer replace it,, it could get a salvage title stamp here..
Almost any car that's stolen and recovered gets one.

Sucks..
Is Oregon the state where if you swap the engine you get a salvage title ? I thought it was some PNW state that did that
Old 12-20-2019, 12:53 PM
Jengah
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by mrdeezy
Let's pretend everything else is the same and it has "Damage" instead of salvage on the title. It would probably be an 18,800, to 19,500 car. So as a salvage with all of the money spent on it I would be looking at it 14,200-15k. Not all savage is junk, most of it is though. If it was all screwed up and unloved then would go down to the 50% value threshold. But some salvage are decent or even nice and there are people who will buy them. It gets your group of buyers down about 80% but there are still people who will see the value in it. I only would recommend salvage cars to people with a lot of automotive experience. But realistically, there is a stamp on the title and the guy saved thousands if it checks out. I would be trying to get it for mid 13's with a cash in your face offer. And move up depending on how much you like it.
Be careful, rational thought can get you in trouble 'round these parts. LOL. In all seriousness, though, you make a good point. I place huge value in it having the IMS Solution. The pre-qualification check list is essentially a giant PPI. I'm still going to do my own PPI and check alignment as another poster suggested. Cheers.
Old 12-20-2019, 12:55 PM
Jengah
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
Budget to repaint,, $2000 PER body panel.. 500 for each spot smaller than your hand thats not just a plain chip repair..
That's an average I use and so far its been pretty darn close on almost any car..

My 03 c4 cab with 115K on it I paid 18 for.. But it was a bit of an impulse..
Good rule of thumb. I need to find myself a professional painter that does side jobs or learn to paint!
Old 12-20-2019, 01:34 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

In Illinois if the cost of a repair is more than 25% of the market value for the vehicle is gets a salvage title. Given that the market value of most 996's is probably between $15,000 and $25,000, with the upper end being really nice cars, assume any repair over about $5,000 mean a salvage title. On these cars even a fairly minor fender bender, with frame damage, etc. can easily be more than $5,000. Also in Illinois to repair a salvage title car you have to be a licensed re-builder, no home repairs allowed.
Old 12-20-2019, 03:56 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jengah
Be careful, rational thought can get you in trouble 'round these parts. LOL. In all seriousness, though, you make a good point. I place huge value in it having the IMS Solution. The pre-qualification check list is essentially a giant PPI. I'm still going to do my own PPI and check alignment as another poster suggested. Cheers.
So, you are stating that the pre-qualification check list was completed before the install of the solution? Was it done by Raby/LN? Do you have documentation to confirm that? If so, that certainly helps with the value.

Quick Reply: What's It Worth - Revived Salvage '01 C2