996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Engine Longevity

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2019, 08:03 AM
turbogrill
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

With shock loading, do you mean shifting crazy?

Why doesn't the aos like track?

(I have done maybe 15-20 40min stints in my 996. lot of it in hot weather. No problems. But mine is a DD with stockish setup and 200tw tires.)
Old 12-27-2019, 08:31 AM
jgiannone
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 14 Posts

Clarification. Shock loading is anything that creates a shock into the system, as I alluded to earlier, driving a very stiffly sprung car at Sebring, and pounding over bumps. Full throttle first gear starts over rough pavement would do the same. Speed shifting likewise. And yes, many cars that don't use slicks and aren't set up as dedicated track cars may not have the AOS issue; its when you induce higher cornering g loads that aos issues will arrive; the outer loop at The Glen being a prime culprit....high speed, banked pavement, consistent and/or extended g loading. I went through three or four stock AOS's before I threw in the towel and bought the Motorsport part; no issues in 7 or 8 years.
The following users liked this post:
turbogrill (12-27-2019)
Old 12-27-2019, 09:02 AM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by turbogrill
With shock loading, do you mean shifting crazy?

Why doesn't the aos like track?

(I have done maybe 15-20 40min stints in my 996. lot of it in hot weather. No problems. But mine is a DD with stockish setup and 200tw tires.)
You don't need terribly extreme conditions to get the AOS to dump oil into the cylinders. Even spirited runs at the Limerock autocross course got my car smoking like crazy. It cleared itself out when I returned it to street duty.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:34 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Thanks for sharing!! I always enjoy hearing from owners who put their cars to the test on the track. 26k miles of track pace is also what I have seen with the fleet of 100 Porsche Driving School cars that I had to maintain. They also used Mobil 1 A40 exclusively ( due to contract requirements) and warranty purposes. 0-40 Mobil 1 Euro until the 5w-50 FS-2 was released, now that;s all they use.No special warm up ritual, they would just start up how ever many cars they would need for the amount of students, let them idle warm up while the students were saddling up. Those "students" were not the best drivers, they drove the cars hard, missed gears, over-reved, burned up clutches ect., but the engines held up.

You stick with Mobil 1 because it is A40? There are lots of A40 oils on Porsche's list. A lot of independent work has been done that shows Mobil 1 anything is far from the best choice. But if you frequently change your oil (every 3 months or every track day) then I guess the negatives are not as severe.

Motul 8100 X-Cess 5w-40 can be had from amazon in 4 large jug cases and shipped free. Is it Mobil 1 cheap? No, but it is A40 and 100% synthetic and proven to be the best oil shy of a Raby product.

Edit: I just noticed you said warranty & CONTRACT requirements). Missed that.
Old 12-27-2019, 11:18 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by jgiannone
In no particular order....Im aware of the argument about not letting a car idle for too long, but I happen to believe that most of that dates back to the days of carburetors and less than perfect cylinder sealing. With modern fuel injection, better sealing, AND, changing the oil every 6-9 days, whatever dilution occurs is offset by limiting the thermal shock (temps changing too fast).
Actually, what I remember is having to "choke" the old carburetor type cars and getting them to "warm up" before driving. On a cold day, the engine would shake horribly until warm. There was no DME or cold start management. You had to get in, pump the gas, apply the choke, get it to turn over, and then keep applying the choke until the engine leveled out. Modern cars have cold start enrichment managed by the ECU. It monitors ambient temps, fuel/air mixture, and emissions on start up. Because these cars dump fuel into the cylinders to give the catalytic converters their "cat food", it's best not to them idle, but instead, drive them.

The car is a 2003, and the engine is the original engine, with original engine number. As I said earlier, no rebuilds. Yes, the water pump has been replaced twice, the IMS once with which one I don't know,
At 10 years and 26,000 miles, I would say it's time for a replacement IMS bearing at your next clutch service.

It has a Brey Kraus deep sump oil kit, and I run the oil at the top fill mark all the time. Occasionally, if I overfill by a 1/4 of a quart or more, I'll get a little ingestion back through the mass air sensor which will make the car run rough until it cleans itself out.
Who in the world advised you to run it that high? 1/4 quart overfilled??? That is one of the things a deep sump is supposed to help minimize. I see you're sensitive about hydro locking from a failing AOS, but have you thought about hydrolock from overfilling the engine oil?

I have to believe, even 20years ago at the infancy of these cars, that the Porsche engineers new that they would sell a million of these things, and all over the world,
Actually, if you read any of the books on Porsche at that time period, you'll see the company was in desperate shape. This was partly due to the stricter emissions standards that were plaguing the aircooled cars and put them at the brink of bankruptcy. A lot had to be fixed and fast. They even hired Toyota consultants to advise them on how to make the factory more efficient. And, they even hired a man from Hong Kong to design the Boxster and 996 model - Pinky Lai

Actually, Porsche engineers didn't know squat one way or the other if the M96 based cars would sell at all. In the end, those two cars saved the company, but they didn't sell millions.

Yes they royally F'd up the IMS issue,
Don't forget...
Cylinder Bore Scoring, D-Chunk, Intermix to name a few other f'd up things with these engines.

I think we'll get what those original Porsche engineers wanted.
Actually, we got EXACTLY want they wanted - an engine with 31+ failure modes.

However, once addressed by companies like Flat 6 Innovations and Hartech, then they become what they should have been in the beginning.
Old 12-27-2019, 11:37 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,373 Likes on 794 Posts

just another anecdotal data point
85eurocarrera (12-27-2019)
Old 12-27-2019, 11:39 AM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Clifton NJ..home of the best hot dog in the world...Rutt's Hut...
sparks259 (12-27-2019)
Old 12-27-2019, 11:55 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

The evidence in this case is very empirical in nature.
Old 12-27-2019, 12:06 PM
turbogrill
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Clarification. Shock loading is anything that creates a shock into the system, as I alluded to earlier, driving a very stiffly sprung car at Sebring, and pounding over bumps. Full throttle first gear starts over rough pavement would do the same. Speed shifting likewise. And yes, many cars that don't use slicks and aren't set up as dedicated track cars may not have the AOS issue; its when you induce higher cornering g loads that aos issues will arrive; the outer loop at The Glen being a prime culprit....high speed, banked pavement, consistent and/or extended g loading. I went through three or four stock AOS's before I threw in the towel and bought the Motorsport part; no issues in 7 or 8 years.
Thanks!

Do you have any pictures? Is your car very similar to a SP996? Do you know how much it weights without driver and full of fuel? Rwhp?

They changed the classification for WRL a little so I think they are legal there now. Would be awesome
Old 12-27-2019, 02:24 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,361 Likes on 1,973 Posts

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor

Actually, we got EXACTLY want they wanted - an engine with 31+ failure modes.
You would think after nearly two decades there would be some kind of evidence/list of this much reported FACT. How much longer will it be?
Old 12-27-2019, 02:37 PM
jgiannone
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 14 Posts

[img]blob:https://rennlist.com/687270ac-ebc3-4098-95d6-d7647cbb4915[/img]A picture. Ten years of development. It weighs 2615 pounds without me, and one gallon of gas. About a hundred more with a full tank.
Old 12-27-2019, 03:03 PM
joseph mitro
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by JTT
Remember that he is at the track, so idling warm up is really the only way.
agreed. track sessions may be only 15-30 minutes so you don't want to waste track time warming up the engine

true, but there are thousands of these positive data points to counteract the hundreds of "failure" data points; they just don't get posted.
Old 12-27-2019, 04:17 PM
RSflared72e
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

You would think after nearly two decades there would be some kind of evidence/list of this much reported FACT. How much longer will it be?
My thinking too. The doomsayers abound; the evidence, not so much...
Old 12-27-2019, 04:49 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,361 Likes on 1,973 Posts

Originally Posted by soverystout
You stick with Mobil 1 because it is A40? There are lots of A40 oils on Porsche's list. A lot of independent work has been done that shows Mobil 1 anything is far from the best choice. But if you frequently change your oil (every 3 months or every track day) then I guess the negatives are not as severe.

Motul 8100 X-Cess 5w-40 can be had from amazon in 4 large jug cases and shipped free. Is it Mobil 1 cheap? No, but it is A40 and 100% synthetic and proven to be the best oil shy of a Raby product.

Edit: I just noticed you said warranty & CONTRACT requirements). Missed that.
Yes, It was part of their contract. The cars were dressed up with large numbers, graphics, manufactures stickers, like race cars, rolling advertising billboards if you will. The cars all had large Mobil 1 stickers and ran Mobil 1 A40 exclusively, Some cars had Michelin stickers and would run Michelin "N" spec tires, some had Pirelli stickers and ran Pirelli "N" spec tires, some had Continental stickers and ran Continental "N" spec tires. They were very particular about what tires went on what car, and that all cars got Mobil 1 put in and not the bulk A40 that the dealership used on most cars, and the oil was not changed "early" due to track environment, but according to Porsche Maintenance Schedule.
Old 12-27-2019, 05:05 PM
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 103 Posts

all cars got Mobil 1 put in and not the bulk A40 that the dealership used on most cars,
If you know what brand and weight are dealers currently putting in 996s? Do dealers have discretion or is it all 5w-50 Classic Oil?

Quick Reply: 996 Engine Longevity