Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

CARMAX Would you buy a Porsche from them?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 12:02 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Happened to hear a CarMax TV commercial last night. Tag line was “we buy ANY car”. Exactly why people of questionable morals can dump their problems on others
The following users liked this post:
wildbilly32 (12-23-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 04:37 PM
Quixotic1
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

ABSOLUTELY DO buy a Porsche from Carmax.

You can get a PPI after purchasing the car and you can return it within 7 days for any reason with a full refund. The Maxcare warranty is excellent very reasonably priced.

Old 12-20-2020, 06:35 PM
sgt1372
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
I wouldn't buy anything from Carmax, Carvana, or any online car outlet.
Ditto!
wildbilly32 (12-21-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 06:40 PM
Quixotic1
Rennlist Member

Why do you have that opinion? Direct experience or just an emotional reaction? Please explain.

I had a great buying experience. If you do your homework when you buy CarMax is great IMO.

Old 12-20-2020, 08:03 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 389 Posts

My list of where I would buy a 996 in order:
1. Local member of PCA that I know, and have known the car.
2. PCA classifieds
3. Rennlist
4. Craigslist
5. Auto Trader Classics

Never from Carmax, Carvana, etc. and fleabay.
The following 2 users liked this post by sasilverbullet:
Elumere (12-22-2020), wildbilly32 (12-21-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 08:04 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 389 Posts

P.S. I used Carmax once to sell a Honda Civic, it was in perfect condition and they gave me silly good money for it, no hassles.

But I would never buy a car from them...
sgt1372 (12-23-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 08:13 PM
Quixotic1
Rennlist Member

I was in your camp and I would not have considered CarMax until I by chance found the car I was looking for listed by them.

Let me explain my reasons for buying from them and I would like to hear your GOOD REASONS for not buying from them.

1: 7 day return policy for any reason and a full refund. This gives you plenty of time to drive the car and get a PPI.
2: CarMax Maxcare warranty. It is very affordable and one of the best warranties you can buy. Lasts longer than the Porsche CPO plan and you can have your car repaired anywhere.
3: No dealer fees or additional markups.
4: If you reserve a car they will hold it until you come see it within a reasonable time with no deposit.
5: CarMax has in-house very low interest financing available.
6: They will ship the car to your local dealership for a very reasonable fee. Usually $99.
7: Porsche cars are very well priced by them and you can get a great deal.
8: They gave me a much better trade in on my 911 than any other dealers offered.

Last edited by Quixotic1; 12-20-2020 at 11:37 PM.
Old 12-20-2020, 10:42 PM
rechtien
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Jengah
People do this all the time every day and have done it for years. They get trade-in price for their cars at dealers. I never used to consider this because it was like giving up 20% of the potential selling price. But then as I got older I see the benefits. For many people, they don't want to meet with strangers at their house or in random places (let alone doing this possibly over and over again). For others, it's a matter of convenience. In short, time = money.
I have sold cars to carmax and i can vouch for convenience. The other option is to get a quote for my car. It is good for 7 days. Offer my car for sale with a pic of the carmax offer. Tell interested people my price which i price high enough above the quote to make it worth the hassle. If i get no interest it goes to carmax. Too easy.
Old 12-21-2020, 09:50 AM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 778 Likes on 498 Posts

Too many stories around here of people buying a Porsche from CarMax with fatal flaws or unscrupulous people dumping their Porsche on CarMax with known fatal flaws for me. After all some fatal flaws can be hidden well. To me to look at a car, fall in love with the car, buy the car($), then get a PPI then find the fatal flaw if you are lucky and return it just doesn't work for me. I realize this can happen in personal sales as well. The cut rate car gimmick selling folks is just too risky for my preference. To each their own, but No Thanks.
Old 12-21-2020, 07:15 PM
996fried
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 34 Posts

I had a fella named Tom work for me years ago and he purchased a rather damaged Boxster and a new Toyota for his wife from a dealership. The Boxster was purchased to be used for body parts to repair his damaged Boxster. As for the Toyota, after several weeks, I noticed that there seemed to be yellow paint splattered on the roof of his new car and it was being towed away back to the dealership. Within several months, the entire roof was a mix of half black peeling paint, half yellow and the car had been in the dealer shop more than a dozen times for repair. After having no other recourse he contacted his family attorney to take his case to the local small claims court as he was now facing more repairs. Within a few weeks, the dealer called the owner and asked if they could repair their differences, but the court date was now cast solidly in stone. As the date approached, the police came by to verify the vehicle and collect the vin number, and shortly after the police came back and repossessed the vehicle. During the court proceedings, the judge called for a recess and asked the dealership's attorney and the owner's attorney back to his chambers. Upon returning, the judge handed down his verdict which consisted of having the dealership, not only refund all rental car receipts, gas purchases, and towing fees but also the dealership was to give a new Toyota, same color, model, and accessories...free to Tom and his wife as well as pay any appropriate taxes. It turns out that the car was stolen and repainted and how it was sold as new somehow remains to this day..... a real mystery. I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall and listened to what transpired in the judges' chambers. With this and my own experiences, I rarely trust dealerships in general and used car dealerships even less regardless of their slick advertising.

Last edited by 996fried; 12-21-2020 at 07:17 PM. Reason: grammer
dporto (12-23-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 10:01 AM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

In my opinion, CARMAX is no worse than buying from any other dealer, in many cases better. I have actually purchased several slightly used cars from CARMX over the years including a Boxster and an M3. They are not the cheapest but are very easy to work with. I think if you do your homework the risk is no more than buying any other used car. With all of that said, I moved to an area that does not have a CARMAX close by. I had not been to one in several years and when I recently stopped by one I noticed that the quality seems to have changed. The cars were not detailed like I remembered and seemed to be lacking in the quality of offerings. Again these are just my thoughts and experience but if you found the car you wanted it's worth looking into.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:15 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Caveat Emptor! ...Ever wonder why there's a phrase in latin (latin is a very old language...) that warns people who are buying merchandise? There's probably a phrase in Aramaic too...
Old 12-23-2020, 11:43 AM
philbert996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,063 Likes on 506 Posts

Buying any used car from CARMAX is no different than buying from anywhere else.
It’s up to YOU to figure out if it’s a good deal.

CARMAX does always seem a bit overpriced. 🤷‍♂️
Old 12-23-2020, 01:24 PM
sgt1372
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
P.S. I used Carmax once to sell a Honda Civic, it was in perfect condition and they gave me silly good money for it, no hassles.

But I would never buy a car from them...
Ditto!

I'd sell any of my 6 vehicles to them for the "right" price but I'd never buy one from them eiither.

Since I am still thinking about selling my 996, I may ask what they're willing to offer but I'll wait to after the holidays to do so.
Old 12-23-2020, 04:48 PM
philbert996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,063 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by sgt1372
Ditto!

Since I am still thinking about selling my 996, I may ask what they're willing to offer but I'll wait to after the holidays to do so.
CARMAX will offer you 10% under wholesale value.
Thats's pretty much standard for cars they can’t sell because age/mileage.

Quick Reply: CARMAX Would you buy a Porsche from them?