Convertible Top Front Latch

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 03:06 PM
juanplopez
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Convertible Top Front Latch

Hi,
Does anyone know how to 'reset' this the front latch that hooks once the top is closed? I have attached a stock photo below to show what I am talking about. I managed to get the top open and now it is stuck in the closed position.
Thanks!

Old 03-22-2020, 12:22 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Check to see if the hook is cracked (common problem). There are workarounds posted somewhere here. Probably on Renntech.org too.

Edit. I'm not sure I understand the problem. It closed but won't open? In that case it could be the handbrake switch. Check the dash light to see if it engages properly.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:20 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

I'm also confused as to the issue. In the picture, it looks like the plastic cover bit from the hook has come off the hook. These plastic covers are easy to replace and do wear (causing microswitch to not activate).
Old 03-22-2020, 11:36 AM
relinuca
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The plastic overlays on the latch are easy to replace, and can be ordered from the large aftermarket suppliers.

relinuca
Old 03-23-2020, 09:21 AM
juanplopez
4th Gear

Here are some actual pictures...

Old 03-24-2020, 07:59 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Did you manually latch the front to get it closed? Now the rear lid won't close with the top? I haven't personally experienced it, but am told that if you use the manual latching mechanism that the roof has to be recalibrated, and to the best of my knowledge, this can only be done by a shop with a proper PWIS system (Durametric and others won't do top recalibration).

"If" you are trying to open the latch and the normal power method won't work, there is an emergency latch operation, as mentioned above, but it will require recalibration afterwards. The procedure is in your owners manual.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:06 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Old 10-30-2020, 11:25 PM
Mrhugo
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2000 cab

Hello. I found this thread because my top is stuck in the open position. Makes a 2 soft click sound when trying to close with the button. I topped off hydraulic fluid previously. I even bought A new battery. I make sure all doors are closed.

After all two days of researching, I think it is related to microswitches. Looking at the OP pictures showing the two oval shape cover/caps, I noticed that before I open the top, I forgot to put the caps back on. I took them off because they were making noise. ( I just got the car not too long ago). So are those caps essential to microswitches? I hope they are.....! I have not venture to open the top manually yet because I heard of stories that people broke something during the process and it will need recalibration.

i scheduled an appointment with the stealership Monday. Hopefully I can figure out before hand. Thanks!
Old 07-29-2023, 07:49 PM
CALLPW
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by JTT
I'm also confused as to the issue. In the picture, it looks like the plastic cover bit from the hook has come off the hook. These plastic covers are easy to replace and do wear (causing microswitch to not activate).
The latch on my 996 Cab was cycling and the rear windows would not go up. Thanks for the post. It reminded me that the plastic cover had broken off. I thought it was just cosmetic. Replacing the plastic cover. In the mean time, I can press the latch button and the rear window operates normally. THANK YOU!

Quick Reply: Convertible Top Front Latch