Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Good Article on M96/M97 IMS & Bore Scoring (2015)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 11:11 PM
ssherman68
Racer

Received 161 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Good Article on M96/M97 IMS & Bore Scoring (2015)

This is an article from the March 2015 issue of GT Purely Porsche magazine that I read while I was doing my research into buying a 996. I had it in my tabs for 2 months and I'm finally getting around to posting it here. Someone may have posted it before but after some searching, I wasn't able to find it here. It's from the UK which has warmer weather than some of the US so their view of bore scoring might be a little more lax than those that handle cars in the northeast and midwest. I thought it was a good bit of information to add to my knowledge of these engines when I was buying. Even so, I was still worried about both these problems so I was happy to find a 1999 that had a dual row LN replacement and had been in a warm climate its whole life.

GT Purely Porsche M96/97 Engines
The following users liked this post:
Porschetech3 (03-22-2020)
Old 03-22-2020, 12:21 AM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 395 Likes on 293 Posts

While well written,, the article is dated. since 2015 the incidents of occurrence have gone nowhere but upward.
Based on the Hartech current info and Jake's contributions to the forum I'm guessing that the biggest reason that the
EU guys are not seeing the same percentage is that they just don't drive the use model the US cars get, and importantly
they didn't get the ethanol as soon as we did. Ethanol is tough as hell on injectors. Especially if its allowed to sit
long enough to dry out. How many eu drivers spend over an hour in rush hour traffic?

Interesting slant on the problem though..

Old 03-22-2020, 12:28 AM
mrdeezy
Banned

Received 122 Likes on 58 Posts

Great article, I wonder what Mr Raby thinks of it and if he would challenge any of the statements. These cars, its all about 6 months/ 3k oil changes and very tedious warm up procedures. Theres are not cars to run to the street corner in. I don't even drive my car if it's less than 20 miles. I start my car and drive it in first gear at 3k very gingerly in circles around my housing development a couple of times to get it up to temp. My neighbors probably think I am crazy or stalking someone. You really must be an enthusiast to own one of these and I think if you treat it like a camry your going to be hurting pretty soon.

These forums and all the failure points and vendors telling people things can blow up can really can make someone paranoid. I have bought several 996's from old people or original owners that have no clue of any of the ims, bore scoring, d-chunk, chain tensioners, stuff and never had a problem. The old saying is "ignorance in bliss" must be nice to have a worry free experience. It's nice to be informed but do sort of wish I was capable of that thought process today.

My guess is chain tensioners is going to be a big deal in about a few years and forever after that. That seems like something not all of people talk about and is already 20 years old and poorly designed.
Old 03-22-2020, 05:41 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by mrdeezy
Great article, I wonder what Mr Raby thinks of it and if he would challenge any of the statements. These cars, its all about 6 months/ 3k oil changes and very tedious warm up procedures. Theres are not cars to run to the street corner in. I don't even drive my car if it's less than 20 miles. I start my car and drive it in first gear at 3k very gingerly in circles around my housing development a couple of times to get it up to temp. My neighbors probably think I am crazy or stalking someone. You really must be an enthusiast to own one of these and I think if you treat it like a camry your going to be hurting pretty soon.

These forums and all the failure points and vendors telling people things can blow up can really can make someone paranoid. I have bought several 996's from old people or original owners that have no clue of any of the ims, bore scoring, d-chunk, chain tensioners, stuff and never had a problem. The old saying is "ignorance in bliss" must be nice to have a worry free experience. It's nice to be informed but do sort of wish I was capable of that thought process today.

My guess is chain tensioners is going to be a big deal in about a few years and forever after that. That seems like something not all of people talk about and is already 20 years old and poorly designed.
It's not worth my time to challenge anything. There's an expert, that stopped learning, on every page. The more they say, generally the less they know.

So much has been learned in the last 5 years in regard to bore scoring. Further, the spike in bore scoring happened 20 months ago, and what we've learned in the time that has passed since then, is pretty staggering.

We never stop learning. Problems never slow down, or stop happening. Time in service drives everything.

Old 03-22-2020, 06:04 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
There's an expert, that stopped learning, on every...
Words of a wise man.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:25 PM
pesuazo
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Article written in 2015 with the information available in 2015.....however, good reading, thanks for sharing it.

There has been a "spike in bore scoring happened 20 months ago, and what we've learned in the time that has passed since then, is pretty staggering."

I would assume the writer would have written a different article today, with the information available today...

Old 03-22-2020, 06:53 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by pesuazo

I would assume the writer would have written a different article today, with the information available today...
Probably.. The real issue with these articles, is all the back end favors and BS that come from them. In every article you read there's the potential for some ulterior motive. Lots of those come from the writers who are friends with someone that can benefit along the way. I se this over, and over again.. I just smile and let the gullible folks believe it.

One could also say that my words could be used against me in regard to this. There's a reason why you don't see articles published that directly feature my content. At best, you'll see my name mentioned, and most of the time I don't even know the article exists until it has been published. I'm not "buddies" with most people in this industry, and I don't want to be. Most people in my position try to kiss up to every writer possible, me... Nope. Not me.

The reader has to imagine what "else" is happening in the article outside of the "technical content". The one exception ton this is PCA Panorama, since its a Club organized publication, the fairness that goes into the articles is very well managed. I support PCA Panorama, because they have earned respect through fairness.

The following users liked this post:
Gingerman (03-23-2020)

Quick Reply: Good Article on M96/M97 IMS & Bore Scoring (2015)