Cabracer - Track/Autocross/Weekend Warrior build

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 01:47 PM
Cabracer
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Cool Cabracer - Track/Autocross/Weekend Warrior build

Hi guys!

New here, and excited to be a new owner of a 2000 C2 Cabriolet with just 72k miles.

The purpose of this car is to be a weekend toy car to take to HPDE, Autocross, Canyon Carving and general weekend warrior!

Making more power on these NA engines seem tough so I’ll be going the reverse and losing weight by removing as much as my creature comforts will permit. The spirit of the unbuild is a GT3-esque wannabe with lightweight over crazy power. After all the GT3 only has 55 more hp than this model, and is also 6speed RWD. Same universe, different galaxy.

Coup - Cab = +165 lbs

C2 - C4 = +122 lbs

6 speed - Tip = +99 lbs

3.4l ( MY01) - 3.6l ( MY02 ) = +55 lbs

3.6l C4 - C4S = +153 lbs

Turbo Look Solid Spoke wheels ( 17" is stock ):
7.5" x 18" = 24.91 lbs
10" x 18" = 29.32 lbs

18" 5 Spoke Carrera wheels:
8" x 18" = 20.50 lbs
10" x 18" = 22.70 lbs
A 10.03 lb difference
I unfortunately can’t weigh the car in Quarantine but the range I can find online is from 2,904 to 3,197 pounds. That’s quite a range, and I’m guessing the higher end is for C4 or Turbo models or Tiptronic models. (Once we’re free from quarantine, I’ll get it weighed properly and update the calculations.

My car has VERY limited options. Heck, the left side option buttons of the center console are all blank buttons... so I’m taking this car is on the lighter end. It does have Sat/NAV, and 18” wheels, but that’s the only thing extra I can find.

So I’m guesstimating this car to start at 3070 lbs.

Hope you enjoy the build (or the un-building?). Also thinking of making this a YouTube channel/series, would that be interesting to anyone or would I be self-humoring myself?

——

Starting Weight: ~3070lbs

-15 lbs: Spare and Tools in Frunk
3 -20 lbs: Sat Nav/Radio, Sat Nav CD holder, Lower console trim, 4 speakers
14 - 30 lbs: Removed front carpet. The sound deadening material is heavier than you think! We had a week of rain here a few weeks ago and learned that my top has a leak somewhere Found some water in the foot wells.
-25.2 lbs: Rear seats are out
-18.5 lbs: Rear carpet + 4 floor mats
66 -45 lbs: Muffler Bypass

Coming soon:
- Front Seats (~40lbs?)

Current weight: ~2915lbs

Last edited by Cabracer; 05-25-2020 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Weight Updates
The following 2 users liked this post by Cabracer:
djm68 (05-25-2020), Ratchet1025 (04-25-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 01:52 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Congrats! Weird photo...makes it look as though the left side of the car is bigger/fatter/heavier and sort of drooping, or the right side has been pushed in somehow... I sure it's an illusion caused by the photo but it still looks somewhat bizarre... Just sayin' Good luck with the (un)build!
Old 04-24-2020, 01:53 PM
Cabracer
Rennlist Member

Last night, I pulled out the radio/sat Nav, lower center console with Sat Nav CD compartments (there were still CD’s inside and it works!!), side leather and carpeted trim pieces. My hand scale estimates this at about ~20 pounds all together.

I’ll be keeping AC as I live in San Diego, and 10-20 days a year, top down is too hot for me. So I’ll relocate the Temp control to the upper center console, and do a delete of the lower. It gives me more knee space as well.

Next will be removing the 6 speakers (2 on dash, 2 on doors, 2 in rear inner quarter panel. I took the rears out to clean the water drains and man they are not light!

Am I missing any? Is there an Amp somewhere? Cables to each speaker worth pulling out? Seem to be behind trim, which is behind plastic, which is behind carpet.

Is there a radio/sound control unit somewhere, or does it go from radio to cables to speakers?

Let’s lose some weight!!

Sat nav w/ CD, lower console trim, lower console covers. Space Grey
The following users liked this post:
Ratchet1025 (04-25-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 01:55 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Amp in the frunk
Cabracer (04-24-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 01:56 PM
Cabracer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dporto
Congrats! Weird photo...makes it look as though the left side of the car is bigger/fatter/heavier and sort of drooping, or the right side has been pushed in somehow... I sure it's an illusion caused by the photo but it still looks somewhat bizarre... Just sayin' Good luck with the (un)build!
Thanks! And good eye... now you’re making me wonder lol.

Another angle. The driveway is lightly graded, so the right side is slightly elevated.

And not sure if my phone is playing games with me (Galaxy S9+). Pretty good camera but idk.

I also feel the passenger side motor mount is shot, so will be replacing/fixing that. It does make the right side exhaust droop ~1cm so I’m sure that doesn’t help the illusion.
Old 04-24-2020, 02:05 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

^^^ That ones much better - it's partially a perspective thing (the closer side looking larger and foreshortened) but I think the angle/grade of the driveway also has a lot to do with the illusion. Yes, your motor mounts look to be hanging low. As long as you're making it a semi-track-car you might want to got with the WEVO or RENNLINE or RSS semi solid motor mounts.There are a few threads (understatement) on the merits/drawbacks of them, that you'll probably want to check out.
Old 04-24-2020, 02:11 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

San Diego?
I saw the Texas plate and was about to ask what part of TX.
I won't ask since I know that San Diego TX is down near Corpus Christi.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:14 PM
Cabracer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
San Diego?
I saw the Texas plate and was about to ask what part of TX.
I won't ask since I know that San Diego TX is down near Corpus Christi.
Haha car came from Dallas area. The peg previous owner drove it to visit family and left it.
I actually used to live in Dallas.
But the car and I are both in San Diego now. We moved separately lol.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:15 PM
Cabracer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dporto
^^^ That ones much better - it's partially a perspective thing (the closer side looking larger and foreshortened) but I think the angle/grade of the driveway also has a lot to do with the illusion. Yes, your motor mounts look to be hanging low. As long as you're making it a semi-track-car you might want to got with the WEVO or RENNLINE or RSS semi solid motor mounts.There are a few threads (understatement) on the merits/drawbacks of them, that you'll probably want to check out.
Thanks for the note. Looks like I've got some research to do!
Old 04-24-2020, 10:40 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

I doubt you are starting at 3000lbs, probably more like 3200. Either way...

This is what I have done to a .2 cab with similar goal in mind. I have not weighed it since doing all of this but guess I am around 3100-3150 with 1/4 tank fuel. (.2 is little heavier than a .1)

REMOVED
floor mars, rear seat tops, bottoms and seat belts, spare tire and tool kit, mufflers and muffler brackets, stock drivers seat, lead battery, factory radio, stock wheels, stock springs and front camber plates.

ADDED
rennline track mats, lithium battery, sparco bucket seat, 6 point harness, rollbar, Carplay radio, lighter BC Forged wheels and RE-71 tires, Tarrett caliper studs and front camber plates, HR sport springs, FVD oil baffle, ims solution, Ferodo DS2500 pads and steel brake lines.

I think thats all of it., if not its pretty close. Either way, I am probably around 3150. Rollbar and harness add weight back in that you take out. I am taking it to its inaugural track event next weekend.

Enjoy your build and know it gets expensive! Its a lot of fun though and worth it! If you want to really take weight out, remove the soft top completely and associate motors. I bet that gets you 100-150lbs off.
The following 2 users liked this post by JSETarga:
Cabracer (04-25-2020), Ratchet1025 (04-25-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 11:02 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

OP - do you plan on putting in a rollbar if you will be taking it to the track? That is going to add weight. Several clubs will not let you run without.
Old 04-25-2020, 12:01 PM
Cabracer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JSETarga
I doubt you are starting at 3000lbs, probably more like 3200. Either way...

This is what I have done to a .2 cab with similar goal in mind. I have not weighed it since doing all of this but guess I am around 3100-3150 with 1/4 tank fuel. (.2 is little heavier than a .1)

REMOVED
floor mars, rear seat tops, bottoms and seat belts, spare tire and tool kit, mufflers and muffler brackets, stock drivers seat, lead battery, factory radio, stock wheels, stock springs and front camber plates.

ADDED
rennline track mats, lithium battery, sparco bucket seat, 6 point harness, rollbar, Carplay radio, lighter BC Forged wheels and RE-71 tires, Tarrett caliper studs and front camber plates, HR sport springs, FVD oil baffle, ims solution, Ferodo DS2500 pads and steel brake lines.

I think thats all of it., if not its pretty close. Either way, I am probably around 3150. Rollbar and harness add weight back in that you take out. I am taking it to its inaugural track event next weekend.

Enjoy your build and know it gets expensive! Its a lot of fun though and worth it! If you want to really take weight out, remove the soft top completely and associate motors. I bet that gets you 100-150lbs off.
Thanks. I was curious of the weight difference between a cab vs a coupe with the exact same options. Any insight?

A roof vs a soft top mechanicals and I'm sure some additional reinforcements for rigidity.

I like your list. Will save it for reference. I'll be living with a few less creature comforts than you

New to porsche but not to racing. Have lots of experiencing losing money in cars and racing lol. Hence going on a diet vs adding power for this car.

Last edited by Cabracer; 04-25-2020 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-25-2020, 12:03 PM
Cabracer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kris Murphy
OP - do you plan on putting in a rollbar if you will be taking it to the track? That is going to add weight. Several clubs will not let you run without.
So that's a dilemma for me. The factory roll bar seems safe from the few rollovers I've researched. If I did add an aftermarket one, I'd remove the factory ones to offset the weight. Yes some clubs will not permit without but most that I'll be running with here in Socal do. TBD for now. If I do, it'll be a standout color, like a gt3 orange >
Old 04-25-2020, 12:06 PM
Cabracer
Rennlist Member

Some more progress last night after putting the little one to bed. Front carpet is out!

Man, that sounds deadening material is heavy!

Front Carpet is out!

Seats are out!
zbomb (04-25-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 12:39 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 467 Likes on 329 Posts

Looking good, curious to see how much weight you will shave off. How much is a seat?
Cabracer (04-25-2020)

Quick Reply: Cabracer - Track/Autocross/Weekend Warrior build