996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Calibrating Convertible top

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2024, 12:20 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

I wouldn't mess with the manual operation drive motor "screw" unless you truly understand what's wrong. Something is preventing the clamshell from fully closing. Forcing it will only make it worse. Keep looking.

The 3 latches that secure the clamshell are driven by the same motor/rack&pinon/bowden cable assembly that move the clamshell. During the last bit of travel during closing, the left and right sliders engage the secondary slider. That slider moves an arm that secures the latches on the left or right side.
The rear center latch is driven by an small bowden cable that is attached directly to the rack&pinon drive. It moves during the last bit of travel.

The way the motor knows how many revolutions to turn to fully secure all of this is via a potentiometer attached to the motor drive shaft. This is one of the key settings in "convertible top calibration". Perhaps calibration is out of sync? Although there should be no reason for it to get "out of sync" unless something breaks.
Old 03-19-2024, 07:58 PM
virtual_law
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frisbee91
I wouldn't mess with the manual operation drive motor "screw" unless you truly understand what's wrong. Something is preventing the clamshell from fully closing. Forcing it will only make it worse. Keep looking.

The 3 latches that secure the clamshell are driven by the same motor/rack&pinon/bowden cable assembly that move the clamshell. During the last bit of travel during closing, the left and right sliders engage the secondary slider. That slider moves an arm that secures the latches on the left or right side.
The rear center latch is driven by an small bowden cable that is attached directly to the rack&pinon drive. It moves during the last bit of travel.

The way the motor knows how many revolutions to turn to fully secure all of this is via a potentiometer attached to the motor drive shaft. This is one of the key settings in "convertible top calibration". Perhaps calibration is out of sync? Although there should be no reason for it to get "out of sync" unless something breaks.
That makes a world of sense! Thank you so much!
I will keep looking!
Can I pls request that Workshop manual regarding the Pot resistance check and calibration for Clamshell?

I think I should start there.
Also wanted to ask, working on the pot, does it trigger a need to recalibrate the whole top?

Last edited by virtual_law; 03-19-2024 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-20-2024, 03:59 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

I'll see if I can find the workshop manual. PM me your email address.
As far as the potentiometer, I was able to remove it, note the position of the clamshell, and carefully mark the potentiometer's position (not turn it.). I reinstalled everything, and put the pot. back with the clamshell in the exact same position. Voila, no recalibration needed. Your mileage may vary.
Old 03-21-2024, 03:44 PM
virtual_law
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome. PM sent.
I noticed my scanner is able to read calibration parameters on the top. Let me paste that. Does everything seem normal on the 'compartment lid'/clamshell pot and otherwise?

Quick Reply: Calibrating Convertible top