Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Clutch slave cylinder or clutch on backwards?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 02:42 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Clutch slave cylinder or clutch on backwards?

Dad and I were doing work on the car and had to remove transmission. Everything was put together and my car refused to go into gear with the engine running.

Bled the slave cylinder and was able to get the car to shift when both wheels were off ground, but when on the ground it still refuses to go into gear.

Clutch doesn't seem to be engaging as even with the pedal to the floor we still get wheel movement when lifted. So we're assuming either the friction plate went in backwards or the slave cylinder isn't properly engaging.

No noise from the clutch and the slave seems to be actuating so confused as to what the problem might be. Don't want to drop transmission again if slave is the problem.

Oh no leaks either so pretty confused. Wouldn't a backwards clutch make a load of noise? Wouldn't a bad slave cylinder be leaking and would it go bad between the time we removed the transmission and the reinstall process? I know it was a challenge to reinstall and had to put a lot of pressure on it to go back in.
Old 05-10-2020, 03:44 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

The clutch plate does have to go in in one direction. You can't reverse the slave cylinder but it could be bad.
Old 05-10-2020, 03:58 PM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by fpena944
Dad and I were doing work on the car and had to remove transmission. Everything was put together and my car refused to go into gear with the engine running.

Bled the slave cylinder and was able to get the car to shift when both wheels were off ground, but when on the ground it still refuses to go into gear.

Clutch doesn't seem to be engaging as even with the pedal to the floor we still get wheel movement when lifted. So we're assuming either the friction plate went in backwards or the slave cylinder isn't properly engaging.

No noise from the clutch and the slave seems to be actuating so confused as to what the problem might be. Don't want to drop transmission again if slave is the problem.

Oh no leaks either so pretty confused. Wouldn't a backwards clutch make a load of noise? Wouldn't a bad slave cylinder be leaking and would it go bad between the time we removed the transmission and the reinstall process? I know it was a challenge to reinstall and had to put a lot of pressure on it to go back in.
The clutch slave cylinder can be a problem to bleed , od at least give it another go with the bleeding , one thing I did was after bleeding , with all bleed screws tight , just pump the clutch pedal up and down like 20 to 30 times , my slave wouldn't engage at first and I did this and it did the trick, hope this works and maybe your just doubting yourself, the friction plate does have to go in the right way round and actually says gearbox side on it so you know which way around to put it in, there is a vent in the gearbox bell housing , maybe you could get a camera in there, but with the pressure plate on I don't know if you could tell if the friction plate was in the right way, hope this helps!
Old 05-10-2020, 07:23 PM
kwright997
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

So we're assuming either the friction plate went in backwards.
This would be very hard if not impossible to put the friction plate in backwards. The screws holding the DMF would prevent the friction plate from making contact with the DMF during installation. This would of been a huge red flag and the pressure plate would have fought you putting it on. My bet is air in the line to the slave cylinder.

Old 05-12-2020, 12:14 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,352 Likes on 1,970 Posts

I have seen someone who put the clutch disk in backwards, and it was just as you described.

Clutch pedal "felt" normal, but would not release the disk, when clutch pedal depressed.

Second time removing the trans doesn't take as long as the first...
Old 05-12-2020, 09:45 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Thanks everyone for the responses! We ended up just ordering another slave cylinder since it was relatively low cost and easy to replace.

So we're going to give that a shot first and if it doesn't work then drop the transmission again.

Strangely enough my slave cylinder only had one bolt holding it to the transmission. We ended up installing two bolts but when thinking about what may have gone wrong my dad had the theory that maybe it's an alignment issue which is why the slave only had one bolt. What if it had to be positioned in a way where only one bolt would allow it to make contact properly with the clutch fork? Not sure but just grasping for ideas until we try this out.

If it does require dropping the transmission then so be it, but would be nice if it's something more simple.
Old 05-12-2020, 10:55 AM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 641 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3

Second time removing the trans doesn't take as long as the first...
Prescious quote.
Old 12-20-2023, 04:19 PM
Jimmy R
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hmmmm

I have been dealing with the same problem. My slave cylinder overextended and poped the plunger out, losing the fluid. I have had it apart and back together 3 times, and it did the same thing to the new slave cylinder. Everything went together smoothly but won't go in gear when running. I don't know how you replaced it as it slides over the drive shaft. I now have the whole bellhousing and clutch out trying to figure it out. No luck so far.
Old 01-01-2024, 08:47 PM
irontmp
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clutch doesn't seem to be engaging as even with the pedal to the floor we still get wheel movement when lifted. So we're assuming either the friction plate went in backwards or the slave cylinder isn't properly engaging galderma tri-luma cream reviews.

I have been wanting to bleed my clutch and had some time to investigate that today. Took off the doghouse and following the clutch line, I think I located the slave cylinder but what I think would be the the bleeder valve is pointed towards the engine, and there is no valve there...? The picture is somewhat obstructed because of a shadow but I think you can make out where the bleeder valve would be screwed into. Feels like it has broken off to me. Hopefully the pic helps. The big white thing at the top is the oil filter. The only thing I can think of, is that it is installed the wrong way. Is that even possible, and can I just flip this around if that is the case? Assuming that I can remove the broken nipple and get a new one. Would I need any seals/gaskets. Thanks
Old 04-08-2024, 09:36 PM
bradgillette
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy R
I have been dealing with the same problem. My slave cylinder overextended and poped the plunger out, losing the fluid. I have had it apart and back together 3 times, and it did the same thing to the new slave cylinder. Everything went together smoothly but won't go in gear when running. I don't know how you replaced it as it slides over the drive shaft. I now have the whole bellhousing and clutch out trying to figure it out. No luck so far.
Did you ever figure this out? Running into the same issue right now.

Quick Reply: Clutch slave cylinder or clutch on backwards?