Sponsored by:

Opinions on hardtop hoists?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 07:33 PM
thefleshrocket
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Opinions on hardtop hoists?

I've got a hardtop on the way for my '02 Cab. A hoist is going to be a necessity so I can install, remove, and store the hardtop myself. I've seen several threads where people have DIYed hoists, but I'm not going to go that route--I'd rather buy something that I just bolt in and know will work rather than trying to engineer something myself. (And, if I DIYed and then something went wrong and the top got damaged, I'd feel really dumb about the money I'd saved over buying a ready-to-go hoist.)

There are these hoists on Ebay right now:
"Basic" hoist - $299 - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911...gAAOSw32lYqIYR

"Comfort" hoist (as far as I can tell, it just includes a winch) - $399 - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911...QAAOSwTuJYqHqw

I haven't found much else by Googling--there were a few hits that were noticeably more expensive, one that was a scam site (Do NOT buy from redactiaj.com - they had the $299 hoist for $99, and sure enough, the day after I paid for it via Paypal, they provided a fake tracking number that indicated that it had been delivered two days BEFORE I had placed the order.. I should have known better but I figured since they took Paypal, it was legit.), and a couple that appear to be no longer available.

I was hoping to spend sub $200, but that doesn't seem likely. Does anyone have any experience with the two hoists listed above? Any other hoists available that are priced comparably (or less)? Is the winch worth it? (I have no problem lifting the top manually with a hoist, but hey, maybe there's some other benefit to the winch that I am missing.)
Old 06-26-2020, 01:22 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

A hoist was on my list when I bought my cabriolet 10 years ago. I still don't have one and don't really see the need. If I didn't have a wall mounted rack for storage I would consider a hoist just for that. Taking the top off once a year and putting it back on once a year isn't a big deal. You just need one other person to help. The OE ones in those links don't look as secure as some of the DIY versions I've seen.
Old 06-26-2020, 10:31 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

I have one but I'm trying to remember where I bought it from. It works great though and they had an electric winch option too but I just went with the plain old manual version.

It's a great investment if you take your hardtop on and off often or if you want it out of the way and stored high.

I'll look to see where I ordered it from and will get back to this thread with info.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:44 AM
thefleshrocket
Instructor

Originally Posted by wyovino
A hoist was on my list when I bought my cabriolet 10 years ago. I still don't have one and don't really see the need. If I didn't have a wall mounted rack for storage I would consider a hoist just for that. Taking the top off once a year and putting it back on once a year isn't a big deal. You just need one other person to help. The OE ones in those links don't look as secure as some of the DIY versions I've seen.
Yeah, I don't have a stand (and I have a jam-packed garage already) so the hoist would also serve as permanent storage.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:47 AM
thefleshrocket
Instructor

Originally Posted by fpena944
I have one but I'm trying to remember where I bought it from. It works great though and they had an electric winch option too but I just went with the plain old manual version.
It's a great investment if you take your hardtop on and off often or if you want it out of the way and stored high.
I'll look to see where I ordered it from and will get back to this thread with info.
Cool, looking forward to your info. Thanks!
Old 06-30-2020, 11:55 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

There are a number of DIY builds if you search around Rennlist.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:10 PM
thefleshrocket
Instructor

Originally Posted by frisbee91
There are a number of DIY builds if you search around Rennlist.
Yup, some really good stuff, too. Building my own is just not up my alley, though. Want to buy ready-made that I just assemble and mount to the ceiling in my garage.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:42 PM
DougFDNY
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ordered the 399 one from Ebay. Expecting it tomorrow or day after. Will post my opinion!
Old 07-03-2020, 02:03 PM
DougFDNY
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update...Recieved and installed hoist! Easy assembly of unit. Looks good quality. Installation of actual pulleys and hoist must be done carefully.. I spent a lot of time just to insure all anchor points were attaches to joists or studs. Proper materials were supplied, but I did have to install a few extra screws to fit my application.( wanted to be extra secure).
I was able to position my Cab under and remove and lift myself. Smooth operation. The winch raises and lowers very slowly( kind of a good thing) Overall...good quality. Looks good. Worth it in my opinion

The following users liked this post:
thefleshrocket (07-03-2020)

Quick Reply: Opinions on hardtop hoists?