Sponsored by:

Wheel Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 05:55 PM
Dukesracer42
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Spacers

Hello All, new Porsche owner here, Wondering what is the ideal size wheel spacers for my 2001 996 C2 . It has the stock 17 inch rim & tire size and they appear to be way inside the fender wells. thank you in advance for whatever help you can provide. B.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:20 PM
Subourbonite
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

You'll love this answer! It depends...on your wheel offset and tires. Oh...and how conservative or boy racer you want to look. Lots of folks have measured up the gap with a ruler and gone from there. If you want to get tighter than that for $40 ECS rents (buy and then return for credit towards spacers) a kit that has 5 spacers from 1mm to 15mm so that you can find your best fit.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...202ecs03lktkt/

No affiliation, but once I get my suspension setup this is the path I've been considering.

One more thought, for what you're going to spend on spacers for 17" wheels, you may just want to wait until you're replacing rubber and move up to 18s. Fills out the wheel wells much better, keeps the stock look if you're after that, better ride and better sidewall protection than 19s, and 18" tires are still aplenty.
The following users liked this post:
Dukesracer42 (07-06-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 07:23 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 259 Posts

Here is a pic of my car that has 11" wheels with offset of 63mm.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...l#&gid=1&pid=1
I also have 5 mm spacers. So that makes it the equivalent of 58mm offset. If you give me the offset and the wheel width I would be happy to calculate the wheel spacer you need to match my car. However, I will say that if you plan to go with wheel spacers I would first go with 18" wheels instead....I almost feel that with 17" wheels the stock offset looks better because the wheels are smaller. JMO.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:26 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Subourbonite
You'll love this answer! It depends...on your wheel offset and tires. Oh...and how conservative or boy racer you want to look. Lots of folks have measured up the gap with a ruler and gone from there. If you want to get tighter than that for $40 ECS rents (buy and then return for credit towards spacers) a kit that has 5 spacers from 1mm to 15mm so that you can find your best fit.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...202ecs03lktkt/

No affiliation, but once I get my suspension setup this is the path I've been considering.

One more thought, for what you're going to spend on spacers for 17" wheels, you may just want to wait until you're replacing rubber and move up to 18s. Fills out the wheel wells much better, keeps the stock look if you're after that, better ride and better sidewall protection than 19s, and 18" tires are still aplenty.
Funny....we essentially said the same thing....we must be right.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:43 PM
pesuazo
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

My spacer set up here: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...installed.html
Old 07-03-2020, 07:45 PM
4wheelspacers
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Guys,

We offer High Quality Porsche specific Wheel Spacer Kits sizes 5mm all the way up to 40mm. All or kits include the Proper Extended Porsche Type Lug bolts. We are currently offering 10% off at checkout with coupon code "RENNLIST"
You can check out our user friendly website www.4wheelspacers.com
We also offer Free Shipping! when you purchase 2 Kits!

If you guys need any help or advice on getting the correct wheel spacer sizes for your Porsche, you can PM me anytime and i will be glad to help.

Thank you

4WheelSpacers Your #1 Source For The Best European Wheel Spacers and Adapters -SUMMER SALE ON LOTS OF PRODUCTS - QUALITY HUB CENTRIC WHEEL SPACER KITS FOR AUDI, BMW, MBZ, PORSCHE, VW 5MM UP TO 40MM !!!
EMAIL: INFO@4WHEELSPACERS.COM

paddlefoot64 (07-03-2020)
Old 07-04-2020, 10:55 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,100 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by 4wheelspacers
Hey Guys,

We offer High Quality Porsche specific Wheel Spacer Kits sizes 5mm all the way up to 40mm. All or kits include the Proper Extended Porsche Type Lug bolts. We are currently offering 10% off at checkout with coupon code "RENNLIST"
You can check out our user friendly website www.4wheelspacers.com
We also offer Free Shipping! when you purchase 2 Kits!

If you guys need any help or advice on getting the correct wheel spacer sizes for your Porsche, you can PM me anytime and i will be glad to help.

Thank you
Actually glad you posted. With wheel spacers added, many overlook the fact you must get extended lug bolts as well. Thanks for that.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:50 AM
barbancourt
Burning Brakes

Received 503 Likes on 277 Posts

I have 15mm at all four corners with the 18" Turbo Twists. No rubbing and it's lowered on coilovers.
Old 07-04-2020, 02:57 PM
911Syncro
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 98 Posts

So I have a question about spacers that has been bugging me, so here goes. If a spacer is added, that means that the wheel center line is no longer in the original place with respect to the wheel bearing. And so the weight of the load is off center for the bearing. Would that result in more load being on the edges of the bearing rather than centered on the bearing, and is that somehow bad, would it cause premature wear of the bearing or any other similar risks. I know the "shift" of the load center is small, a few millimeters, but is that so small that it doesn't really matter that the load is offset? Thanks!
Old 07-05-2020, 11:26 PM
4wheelspacers
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Syncro
So I have a question about spacers that has been bugging me, so here goes. If a spacer is added, that means that the wheel center line is no longer in the original place with respect to the wheel bearing. And so the weight of the load is off center for the bearing. Would that result in more load being on the edges of the bearing rather than centered on the bearing, and is that somehow bad, would it cause premature wear of the bearing or any other similar risks. I know the "shift" of the load center is small, a few millimeters, but is that so small that it doesn't really matter that the load is offset? Thanks!
Great question! and you do make a great point but light cars like Porsches using sizes like we normally use 5mm to 25mm do not see any premature wear or damage to the wheel bearings. This mostly applies to big heavy cars like Pickup trucks that run a big fat spacers and even at that, they usually just see premature wear.
Hope this answered your question.
Regards!
Old 07-06-2020, 03:41 PM
Dukesracer42
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well thank you everyone for your time and responses, No worries, I'm not insulted by the "boy racer" comment given my username. I currently race formula cars and have been called dukes since I was about five years old so it just stuck.
So Don't think I'm going 18s and new rubber since its not a keeper for me, already looking at 9974S. I am doing some easy inexpensive mods just for appearance, reliability and IMS for confidence when selling next spring. I will absolutely check out ECS . Thinking someone has the exact same car, rims and tires given there stock and knows exactly what looks best on this, But not looking to rub fender wells either.thanks again.

Quick Reply: Wheel Spacers