996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Soft Brake Pedal - Any Other Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 10:21 PM
yaknart33
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you had the brake calipers inspected /overhauled or replaced? If one is sticking it can cause your concern. I have akebono pads on three of my cars ,not one problem.The abs system could have a problem also . I would let the porsche store road test and inspect the brakes ,they will let you know if its normal or not.Have you tested the abs with a durametric or similiar tester for any codes generated? When your tech replaced the pads and rotors did they notice any abnormal wear ,one wheel with less wear on pads or inner pad worn more the outer ? That could indicate a caliper concern.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:50 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by sgt1372
Thanks for the tip.

Just spoke w/the Service Mgr (because the Service Advisor still didn't return my calls) and they still haven't figured out what's up w/the car. Gave him an overview of the problems (some of which the Svc Advisor didn't list on the woksheet) and mentioned the tips suggested here.

He said he'd get back to me w/a further update tomorrow. Hopefully, he'll have something productive to tell me.
^^^ Just don’t let him sell you a new/factory ABS module - not cheap 😉
Old 07-10-2020, 12:50 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
About a year ago, I had a similar problem. It turned out to be the ABS Module. There’s a diaphragm that goes bad & leaks fluid out the bottom of the module. You should be able to notice if you’re losing fluid just by checking the reservoir. The problem is you won’t see it on the ground, as it’s in the bottom of your frunk. You’ve got to pull the drivers side liner out and shine a light down there - if it’s leaking you’ll see it. The up-shot is that you can get the modules used, and they’re pretty cheap (less than $100) - the job itself isn’t overly difficult either - 4 brake lines, then bleed brakes. I think I did it in about 1.5 hrs... good luck
That makes sense if you notice it slowly getting worse as time goes by, but if the soft pedal problem exists immediately after filling and bleeding the brakes, doesn't that indicate something else?
Old 07-10-2020, 01:31 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tooloud10
That makes sense if you notice it slowly getting worse as time goes by, but if the soft pedal problem exists immediately after filling and bleeding the brakes, doesn't that indicate something else?
the most obvious problem would be that there’s still air in the brake lines, or the ABS module. I was just relating an actual experience that I had with my car. The most baffling part of it was that I was clearly losing brake fluid, but all the lines were dry and there was none on the ground/floor...
Old 07-10-2020, 10:23 PM
sgt1372
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 113 Posts

Well, it took 3 days but I finally got an assessment of the problems w/my car:

Problem #1) Soft Brake Pedal:

The Service Advisor said that they fixed the brakes and that the pedal is now firm. Claims that mechanic found some air pockets in the lines that he got rid of by replacing the brake fluid (again) and bleeding it a couple of times. Hope he's right. Will only find out after I get the car back and drive it again. Total cost only $250.

That's the good news. Now for the bad.

The back story. I've only had my car since Sep 2019 and the fuel gauge always seemed inaccurate to me. Would never read totally full after filling the tank and letting the nozzle click-off by itself and still read at 3/4 full when I was refilling w/7-8 galons at 1/2 tank down,

I have a phobia about running out of gas and wanted to be sure that I was properly estimating the range of the car. Since the fuel gauge didn't seemed to be accurate, I decided to top off the tank unitl the gas overflowed to get a consistent measurement. Bad idea.

After I started doing this, the fuel gauge got stuck on "full" and I could not refill the gas tank w/o holding onto the gas nozzle because it would always click off on the lowest setting. So, I apparently causing these problems by overfilling the thank. So . . .

Problem #2) Fuel Gauge: I was told that I need a new fuel guage sensor which requires dropping the tank (partially) and going thru the gauge recalibration procedure. Total cost $1200. Ouch!!!

Problem #3) Fuel Tank: I was told that I need a new fuel tank filler neck bleeder valve. Overflowing gas probably flowed into the charcoal canister in the bleeder value destroying it; it's only supposed filter the gas vapors. Total cost $650. Just more punishment.

So, I turned what would have only been a $250 brake repair into a $2100 brake/fuel gauge/fuel tank value tab.

Probably won't get the car back for at least 5 more days (including the weekend). One good thing about my dealer is that it provides a free Uber ride to/from home (or elsewhere) when you get your car serviced there, which is not trival in my case because I live over 30 miles away from the dealer.

I can blame Problem #1 on my Indy not "properly" bleeding the brakes after changing the rotors, pads, brake lines and master cylinder BUT the rest is on me. The moral of the story: 1) make sure your brakes are bled properly and 2) don't overfill the gas tank on your 996.

Good thing that I have more $ than sense. LOL!
The following users liked this post:
Mike Murphy (07-11-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 10:35 PM
cuttinsod
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I replaced my fuel pump, and level sensor in my garage in ~90 minutes for ~$500.....very easy job.....no need to drop tank....remove battery, and everything can be accessed from the top....."re-calibration" was filling with a specific volume of fuel......been dead-on ever since it was all replaced.....
Old 07-10-2020, 10:39 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,283 Likes on 1,715 Posts

Originally Posted by cuttinsod
I replaced my fuel pump, and level sensor in my garage in ~90 minutes for ~$500.....very easy job.....no need to drop tank....remove battery, and everything can be accessed from the top....."re-calibration" was filling with a specific volume of fuel......been dead-on ever since it was all replaced.....

u didnt pay yourself $210 per hour. That adds up quick.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:22 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

The "stealership" is raking you over the coals...Won't be the first time, won't be the last...
Old 07-11-2020, 01:35 PM
sgt1372
Pro

Originally Posted by dporto
The "stealership" is raking you over the coals...Won't be the first time, won't be the last...
Yes, I realize that but it's the price I have to pay because I don't have the skills and/or desire to do the work myself anymore.

At my age, it just easier to pay others to do the work and I really have no problems w/that as long as they do the work "right" and provide me w/the perks that come w/the price.
Old 07-11-2020, 01:39 PM
sgt1372
Pro

Originally Posted by cuttinsod
As noted above, I don't have the experience, skill or desire to do this work and paying an "extra" $700 to get it done w/o needing to get my hands dirty with a free Uber ride 30 miles back to the shop to pick it up when it's done is a fair price to pay for the dealer to do it IMO.
Old 07-11-2020, 03:51 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 992 Posts

Yes, I realize that but it's the price I have to pay because I don't have the skills and/or desire to do the work myself anymore.

At my age, it just easier to pay others to do the work and I really have no problems w/that as long as they do the work "right" and provide me w/the perks that come w/the price.
I’m with you, but I also look for a good Indy that can do work for a fraction of the price of a dealer. Is there no good Indy by you?
Old 07-11-2020, 03:56 PM
sgt1372
Pro

Originally Posted by Mike Murphy
I’m with you, but I also look for a good Indy that can do work for a fraction of the price of a dealer. Is there no good Indy by you?
I "had" a good Indy shop until the previous manager left for a "better" job in SF w/Muni where I assume he can now get a pension/medical beneifts that were probably not available (or limited) in the small Indy shop that he managed. Liked him a lot and he was easy to deal with; not so the new manager who I really don't like.

So, I need to find a new Indy shop that will charge less and install aftermarket parts that I buy w/o complaint. Was taking all 3 of my German cars to lthe Indy shop near me but, given the poor attitude and service i got w/the new manager doing the recent brake work (which they apparently didn't do exactly 'right"), I'm going to have to look for another shop.

In the meantime, as long as it doesn't involve the installation of non-OE parts, I think I'll just take my Porsche, BMW and MB to the stealerships for general maintance and other required work. You pay mre but you know they'll do the work right (or make it right) and there are certain perks that come w/taking your car there.
Old 07-16-2020, 06:49 PM
sgt1372
Pro

LOL!

The car's been at the dealer for a week. The new fuel gauge sensor/fuel tank breather valve were installed yesteday but it threw codes related to an ABS problem that arose after they did the work. This is exactly why I don't try to do my own work anymore.

So, they still have the car. Good thing I have 4 other vehicles to drive.

Just drove my BMW 335i today. What a wonderful car! Blew by a Model S on a twisty back road where s/he cut me off at the turn thinking that they would be faster. NOT!!! The S may be faster but it's the driver not the car.

I'll will be driving my MR2 on Sunday to look at a S2000 that I'm also thinking of buying which will make a nice addition to my MR2 and 911 of the same vintage if I buy it.

Life is good.

Last edited by sgt1372; 07-16-2020 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:32 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 992 Posts

LOL!

The car's been at the dealer for a week. The new fuel gauge sensor/fuel tank breather valve were installed yesteday but it threw codes related to an ABS problem that arose after they did the work. This is exactly why I don't try to do my own work anymore.

So, they still have the car. Good thing I have 4 other vehicles to drive.

Just drove my BMW 335i today. What a wonderful car! Blew by a Model S on a twisty back road where s/he cut me off at the turn thinking that they would be faster. NOT!!! The S may be faster but it's the driver not the car.

I'll will be driving my MR2 on Sunday to look at a S2000 that I'm also thinking of buying which will make a nice addition to my MR2 and 911 of the same vintage if I buy it.

Life is good.
Sure is. All this cars are great
Old 07-16-2020, 10:12 PM
sgt1372
Pro

Originally Posted by Mike Murphy
Sure is. All this cars are great
Indeed! I really like my 911 but I'm not wedded to any brand. If I buy the S2000, I'll have IMO3 of the best sports cars made in the last 20 years in my garage.

I also saw a 2000 Ducati ST4s for sale for just $3500 that I'm thinking of buying as well (even though I'm running out of garage/storage space).

Haven't ridden for about 5 years but one of my last motorcycles was a Ducati 998 (a much different beast) but the sport touring ST4s would be right up my alley and $3.5k? Really? That's just spare change for me. Heck, the upcoming bill for my 911 will almost be that much. LOL!

Still have all my m/c gear (and my m/c license) but should buy a new helmet.

So, I may buy them both. We'll see . . .

Last edited by sgt1372; 07-17-2020 at 03:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mike Murphy (07-17-2020)

Quick Reply: Soft Brake Pedal - Any Other Ideas?