Sponsored by:

Frunk lid latch

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 10:34 AM
relinuca
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Frunk lid latch

The frunk lid latch won't :"latch", and there doesn't seem to be any easy way to access the mechanism. Not sure if the cable broke or ?
My 996 is a 1999, so the latch is not electrical. so just lift the handle in the front sill, and that should do it, except mine doesn't work. Any ideas? 'I'm kind of stumped and a little hesitant to drive the car until this issue is resolved.

relinuca
Old 07-16-2020, 11:14 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,099 Likes on 706 Posts

You will have to locate the emergency release cable that usually resides behind and under the passenger headlight. The only problem is, in order to find it you need to remove the headlight and the only access to that is in the frunk, which doesn't open. So, some have been successful by removing the passenger wheel, removing the passenger wheel well liner, and trying to fish out the cable from there. Here's hoping your wheel lock socket is not in the frunk.

AND, let me reiterate again, as I have many times over, it is a simple 5 minute job to relocate the frunk emergency release cable to just inside the tow hook plug. Pop out the plug and there is your cable. This will save you hours and hours of frustration when the hood latch or cabin release is not working.
Old 07-16-2020, 02:17 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,281 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Is your problem it wont latch when closing or that the frunk wont open. If it wont latch close make sure the mechanism is secure. Mine loosened up, just pull back the carpet and there r 2 bolts to tighten up.

Quick Reply: Frunk lid latch