Sponsored by:

SNS Engine Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 02:48 PM
SoundnSpeed
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyGS
I didn't catch it and may have missed it, but what assembly lube are you using? Does Jake recommend a particular assembly lube? They are not all created equal.

I really love all the nice photos and work. It appears you are doing a nice clean and diligent job. This will serve you well!

I followed Jake's general recommendations for using high viscosity lubricant and engine assembly grease where he advised. I ended up using a couple of lube products including these:
Attached Images  
Old 06-09-2021, 02:54 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,278 Likes on 1,807 Posts

Jake - for people that have some familiarity on assembly lubes and pre start procedures on other engine types that have worked for them in the past - would you say that largely, if it’s worked for you and you have developed trust in it in the past, you should be good - or - are the qualities with these engines that dictate more specialized assembly lubricants and pre-start procedures ?

Thanks
Old 06-09-2021, 02:57 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by zbomb
Jake - for people that have some familiarity on assembly lubes and pre start procedures on other engine types that have worked for them in the past - would you say that largely, if it’s worked for you and you have developed trust in it in the past, you should be good - or - are the qualities with these engines that dictate more specialized assembly lubricants and pre-start procedures ?

Thanks
Achieving oil pressure is easier than people make it out to be. The people that have issues will pull the DME relay, and spark plugs, and turn the engine on the starter till OP is gained. The starter turns these engines over too slowly to achieve this.
Doing this method is about the only huge mistake that can be made, other than just starting the engine up with npc procedure in place to achieve OP the first time.
A pre- oiler is a good idea, but not everyone has one.
Old 06-09-2021, 03:14 PM
golock911
Rennlist Member

Received 927 Likes on 415 Posts

Nice work! Thoughtful, deliberate, not rushed. Excellent use of all tools and teachings. It's gonna be awesome to light it up.
Old 06-09-2021, 03:25 PM
SoundnSpeed
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by golock911
Nice work! Thoughtful, deliberate, not rushed. Excellent use of all tools and teachings. It's gonna be awesome to light it up.

Appreciate the kind words. Has been a very gratifying process. I have been sharing pics with my siblings...my oldest brother, who had a Porsche 1600 Normal back in the 60's, has always commented back to me...I just want to drive it when you are done!

BTW - Bay Area - I grew up in Novato and my bro is in San Raphael. I really love that part of CA.
The following users liked this post:
golock911 (06-09-2021)
Old 10-09-2021, 01:02 PM
SoundnSpeed
Rennlist Member

Default keeping on

Assembling the fuel rail I've run into a block getting the injectors into the rail. I moved into the work believing it would be pretty straightforward as I have replaced fuel injectors while the engine was in the car....but nope, I am having a bear of a time seating the injectors in the rail such that the clip is properly attached. Will just keep at it and try not to break stuff!
Attached Images   
Old 10-09-2021, 03:22 PM
theprf
Drifting

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,047 Posts

You need to wet the O-rings with something. You can use fuel or vaseline.
Old 10-09-2021, 03:25 PM
SoundnSpeed
Rennlist Member

Realized I was trying to get the clip into the wrong groove - Here we go!
Attached Images   
Old 10-09-2021, 03:37 PM
SoundnSpeed
Rennlist Member

Default Yes - lube the O rings

Originally Posted by theprf
You need to wet the O-rings with something. You can use fuel or vaseline.
Yes - used a little lithium grease - it was in as far as it would go - just needed to review photos to see that I was aiming for the WRONG groove.
Old 10-09-2021, 05:00 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Achieving oil pressure is easier than people make it out to be. The people that have issues will pull the DME relay, and spark plugs, and turn the engine on the starter till OP is gained. The starter turns these engines over too slowly to achieve this.
Doing this method is about the only huge mistake that can be made, other than just starting the engine up with npc procedure in place to achieve OP the first time.
A pre- oiler is a good idea, but not everyone has one.

Awesome followup Jake!
Old 10-09-2021, 05:48 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,719 Posts

Originally Posted by SoundnSpeed
Yes - used a little lithium grease - it was in as far as it would go - just needed to review photos to see that I was aiming for the WRONG groove.

Stab that thing into the car already and fire it up...whats taking so long?
The following 2 users liked this post by De Jeeper:
Porschetech3 (10-09-2021), SoundnSpeed (10-11-2021)
Old 10-11-2021, 11:19 AM
SoundnSpeed
Rennlist Member

Default Too many things to enjoy and do!

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
Stab that thing into the car already and fire it up...whats taking so long?
I totally deserve that - I just hope my other responsibilities and hobbies are not compromising my engine rebuild...My family, my home projects, one work model (architect day job) and my hobbies - I hope you enjoy...I do!
one pic is of my family (siblings) closing our summer shack on a lake...brothers, one sister a bunch of nephews and me and my oldest.
Attached Images                 
Old 10-11-2021, 12:37 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,719 Posts

Looks fun. Residential construction is my day job so ill never post pics of renovations . I can appreciate all the other things that steal our time.
Old 10-11-2021, 12:46 PM
SoundnSpeed
Rennlist Member

Ha, De Jeeper you must cringe at my sequence on the bathroom remodel, I know I do at times! Material delays hit me all over the head and shoulders on this one.
Old 10-11-2021, 01:49 PM
jobyt
Pro

Received 306 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by SoundnSpeed
Ha, De Jeeper you must cringe at my sequence on the bathroom remodel, I know I do at times! Material delays hit me all over the head and shoulders on this one.
It certainly makes me cringe...brings back memories of my bathroom remodel 5 years ago. 200+ large format (1' x 2') tiles for the shower and only 5 didn't need custom cuts. Felt like I was in jail for a few weeks.

Quick Reply: SNS Engine Rebuild