Sponsored by:

Need help with tiptronic

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 01:26 PM
Michael Poarch
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help with tiptronic

I’m having a problem with my 996 tiptronic it won’t go into drive. The shifter got stuck in drive and as I wiggled it and trying to take it out of drive I felt something break and I figured it was my cable but I checked my cable and it was not the cable so it must be something inside the transmission. What could it be please. It still goes in reverse and neutral and park just not into drive.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:46 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Could it be in the shifter?
Old 03-09-2021, 04:45 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 929 Posts

WIthout photographs or scanner DTCs, it hard to offer much help. But based on the reports here on Rennlist with the Tiptronic transmission over the years, I would say the most common issue is with the shifter linkage as TexSquirrel mentioned. That would be where I started.

The following users liked this post:
Device2 (03-09-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 01:08 PM
Michael Poarch
5th Gear

I have inspected the shifter cable on both ends and I don’t see anything wrong with it. Is there anything just inside the transmission that could have broken when I was trying to take it out of drive.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:34 PM
theprf
Drifting

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,047 Posts

Get under the car and pop the shifter cable off the transmission. Then get in the car, turn on the key (no need to start it), foot on the brake, and see if you can shift into all the gears.

If you can shift into all the gears = problem inside the transmission.

If you cannot shift into all the gears = problem in the shifter mechanism inside the center console.
The following 2 users liked this post by theprf:
Einsteiger (04-21-2024), sasilverbullet (03-10-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 02:40 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 929 Posts

Read this thread, specifically post #318 from the Porsche mechanic.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...l#post13240975
Old 03-10-2021, 03:43 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by theprf
Get under the car and pop the shifter cable off the transmission. Then get in the car, turn on the key (no need to start it), foot on the brake, and see if you can shift into all the gears.

If you can shift into all the gears = problem inside the transmission.

If you cannot shift into all the gears = problem in the shifter mechanism inside the center console.
What he said, try that and let us know. I have a tip also and I've had problems with the mechanism under the console.
Old 03-10-2021, 10:38 PM
Michael Poarch
5th Gear

Ok I first want to say thank you to everyone I appreciate everyone that is trying to help. And I have found the problem it is in fact inside the transmission. I drained the fluid and took the pan off to inspect for damage and what I found is a broken plastic piece that moves with the shifter it looks to me like it slides a shaft I don’t know what this part is called yet. I have ordered me a service manual so I can figure out how to take this part out and also what it’s called so that I can order a new one.
sasilverbullet (03-10-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 11:48 AM
Michael Poarch
5th Gear

Default Still needing a little more help please

I did find my problem it’s a plastic slide that slides in and out of the valve body. And I think it’s called the manual selector rod but I’m not sure of that name and I can’t seem to find good directions for taking the valve body off and disassembling it. Also I can’t seem to find this plastic piece for sale I’m being told that I have to replace the entire valve body. I just don’t see how this could be true why would they make a plastic part that could easily break and not make a replacement for it. Please help.
Old 03-17-2021, 12:22 PM
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 103 Posts

Don't recall reading about owners going inside of their automatic transmission, there may not be anybody on the list with that experience to assist you.
Old 03-17-2021, 12:36 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,362 Likes on 1,974 Posts

Well, since I have no idea what year your car is,

If you have a 996.1 search for ZF 5HP19 Tiptronic used in BMW ect, many parts and DIY videos available that are interchangeable

If you have a 996.2 search for Mercedees 722.6 Tiptronic , many parts and videos available that are interchangeable.
The following 2 users liked this post by Porschetech3:
Michael Poarch (03-17-2021), sasilverbullet (03-17-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 05:44 PM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

I had an issue that I could not get mine in and out of D. This all started when I removed the center console. What I found to be the problem is that the shift gate has a black plastic cover that slides around to keep dust and debris from falling through. It looks like it is non directional, however it is and if it is put in the wrong way it is a little longer and gets pinched between the bottom of the shift gate and the console and at times will not let you go into D as the lever gets stuck. You can try to flip i. Again this is the black plastic curve that slides when you shift gears.

Last edited by jsaindc; 03-17-2021 at 05:49 PM.
sasilverbullet (03-17-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 06:34 PM
Michael Poarch
5th Gear

Thank you Porschetech3 I will see what I can find and mine is a 1999 911 Carrara.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:57 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by jsaindc
I had an issue that I could not get mine in and out of D. This all started when I removed the center console. What I found to be the problem is that the shift gate has a black plastic cover that slides around to keep dust and debris from falling through. It looks like it is non directional, however it is and if it is put in the wrong way it is a little longer and gets pinched between the bottom of the shift gate and the console and at times will not let you go into D as the lever gets stuck. You can try to flip i. Again this is the black plastic curve that slides when you shift gears.
Yep, that was exactly my problem also.
Old 04-20-2024, 11:25 AM
STS996
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I am desperate for some help or advice related to my Tip issues. I stumbled on a post of yours regarding Tiptronic issues and notices you have a Cayman with a Tip transmission and was hoping you could potentially help.

I have a 2001 911 Cabriolet (996) with 59K miles that has been having issues with the Tip working intermittently for the last year or so. It is my daily driving vehicle. So it gets plenty of activity and overall is a terrific driving vehicle from suspension, transmission and engine. No issues at all other than the below related to Tip shifting.

Some days I get in the car and the Tip shifts perfectly with left or right paddles while the shifter in M or in D as it is designed. Then one day or maybe even in the same day I will try to shift with the paddles and it will not manually shift. The transmission works perfectly and when in D it will autoshift with no issues. So my Porsche tech and I do not think it is a true transmission issue. It reminds me of situations where a relay switch or something similar is going bad or starting to fail. I can literally be driving to the grocery store and it will shift fine halfway there. Then all of the sudden I try to gear down and it just acts like the paddles have been disconnected from the car. Then, after a stop or a driving a few more minutes they may work again.

Very odd. My Porsche tech hasn't seen anything like this and said he has never really seen any Porsche Tiptronic issues. We haven't been able to find any troubleshooting tips regarding relays or solenoids so we can start to explore from the most cost effective troubleshooting approach.

Do you have any advice or potential contacts for me regarding the above.

Thanks in advance for your time and any advice.

Quick Reply: Need help with tiptronic