Sponsored by:

Dash speaker standard or Hi Fi

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 01:09 PM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Dash speaker standard or Hi Fi

Looking to replace my speaker grill and might as well replace the speakers as the cost is pretty low to do it together and mine are over 20 years old. I have the standard CDR220 with no plans to upgrade. Question, if I do not have the Hi Fi option would the Hi Fi speakers work and sound better than the standard or is it a waste? The Hi Fi has a tweeter and the connection looks the same. Price difference is only $18 so if it is going to sound better it is worth it but if I will not get anything out of it because of not having the Hi Fi option then no point.

Appreciate the thoughts.
Old 03-13-2021, 03:01 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,589 Likes on 993 Posts

My guess is that new replacement speakers will sound better than the hifi speakers from 20 years ago, so I would replace with new speakers.
The following users liked this post:
Eurocarguy911 (03-13-2021)
Old 03-13-2021, 03:48 PM
barbancourt
Burning Brakes

Received 503 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Murphy
My guess is that new replacement speakers will sound better than the hifi speakers from 20 years ago, so I would replace with new speakers.
I don’t know, man... the PO of my car disconnected the dash speakers when they installed an aftermarket amplifier. I thought I’d need to buy some expensive aftermarket speakers to match the other ones they installed in the doors and rear, but I reconnected them just to see. They actually sound really good... enough so that I probably won’t change them anytime soon.
The following users liked this post:
Mike Murphy (03-13-2021)
Old 03-13-2021, 04:17 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,689 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by jsaindc
Price difference is only $18 so if it is going to sound better it is worth it but if I will not get anything out of it because of not having the Hi Fi option then no point.
Appreciate the thoughts.
$18 is like splitting frog hairs with these speakers.

Quick Reply: Dash speaker standard or Hi Fi