Sponsored by:

Cobra Nogaros in GT3, issues?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 12:52 AM
Cubieman
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cobra Nogaros in GT3, issues?

Edit: This was my first post and I didn't see there was a dedicated GT2/GT3 area, sorry. Posted over there.

I first want to apologize if this topic has been covered, I did some searching but did not find 100% of the info I was looking for.

I am E46 M3 fanantic and very well versed with that vehicle but am now just starting to figure out my dad's 996 GT3, he also has an 84' 3.2 I have done work on.

On to my issue. I want to replace the factory seats in the GT3 with the aftermarket Cobra seats and want to know what issues I may have to overcome as far as airbag lights/occupancy sensors etc.

I was hoping as long as the battery is disconnected during the swap I won't have any dash lights to worry about but am unsure if the Cobra seats will be able to accept what the factory seats have as far as sensors (occupancy).

I am well versed with ISTA/INPA/DIS with BMW but do not have PIWIS or even Durametric if coding of modules will be required here.

I am looking for any tips in regards to swapping to non-factory seats and if software is required should I go straight to PIWIS instead of Durametric?
I've seen a few good deals on PIWIS 2 software/cable sets and wouldn't mind not having PIWIS 3 as I will only (likely) be working on a 2004 996 GT3.

Thanks in advance, hope to become more active on here in the future.

Last edited by Cubieman; 04-11-2021 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Cross-posted by mistake
Old 04-12-2021, 02:42 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

The 996 GT3 and Carrera (and all the other 996s for that matter) are the same when it comes to swapping seats, so this forum is just fine!

You need to hang onto the buckles and re-use them, the airbag computer monitors if seatbelts are buckled in, otherwise shouldn't run into any issues with a swap. It's been some years since I have done a seat swap on a 996 but I do not recall there being an occupancy sensor.
Cheers!
The following users liked this post:
Cubieman (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 03:03 PM
JBSL
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 91 Posts

I just swapped 997 seats in 996 last week. Re use the 996 seat belt receptacles and you won't get a light for the seat belt. I have had no occupancy sensor lights (As far as airbags go I assume).
Cubieman (04-12-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 12:17 AM
Cubieman
Intermediate

Here is the bottom of the factory GT3 seat. You can see two distinct wires, one (blue 4 pin) on the right goes to seat belt and the other (3 pin, 2 used) on the left goes up into the seat back and feels as though it connects to the "wire mesh" seat back area.
I can't help but think that the connector on the left that goes up onto the seat back is an occupancy sensor.
If this is left unplugged won't I have an issue??

Old 04-13-2021, 02:13 AM
Jfrik
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed a Cobra Daytona (actually Taka Street Pro Le, same seat) in my car. There are write ups, but the long and the short of it is:

Unplug your battery, remove seat, remove seat belt receptacle and harness connection (blue), connect the seatbelt receptacle back to the chassis wiring (zip tie connection), and then install your seat of choice and seat belt receptacle.

No need for coding or threat of an airbag light as long as you do not plug the batter back up while the seat belt receptacle wiring is disconnected. As mentioned, I do not believe there are occupancy sensors in these cars. I have had no issues with anything, no warning lights, just a seat that holds me in much better.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:14 AM
Cubieman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jfrik
I installed a Cobra Daytona (actually Taka Street Pro Le, same seat) in my car. There are write ups, but the long and the short of it is:

Unplug your battery, remove seat, remove seat belt receptacle and harness connection (blue), connect the seatbelt receptacle back to the chassis wiring (zip tie connection), and then install your seat of choice and seat belt receptacle.

No need for coding or threat of an airbag light as long as you do not plug the batter back up while the seat belt receptacle wiring is disconnected. As mentioned, I do not believe there are occupancy sensors in these cars. I have had no issues with anything, no warning lights, just a seat that holds me in much better.
Thanks for the info, do you happen to have any idea what the other 2 pin connection would be? The wiring from the 2 pin connection splits off into 2 and one piece goes into seat back and feel as though it's connected to the seat back "cage", the other appears to be going to the seat bottom.

Another question, what about an automatic weight sensor? Does the either seat have something along these lines to make sure the airbag does not deploy with a child aka low weight in seat?

That other wiring connection me it will go unused, maybe airbags will not deploy in a wreck etc.
Old 04-13-2021, 11:20 AM
Jfrik
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure what that specific connection goes to, I would have to go back and look at my factory seats. If need be I can pull them out of the basement this weekend and check.

I am fairly confident that the airbag system in these cars are of the older style non-variable deployment type and do not use weight sensors.

In Europe as I am sure you know, the GT3 could be equipped with a non adjustable bucket seat. The chassis wiring does not change in this instance (that I am aware of) and the bucket seat has no wiring to it. This stands to support the idea that the only pertinent connections for the airbag system are/is the connection in the seat belt receptacle.
Old 04-13-2021, 11:52 AM
yaz996
Rennlist Member

Received 838 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Cubieman
Does the either seat have something along these lines to make sure the airbag does not deploy with a child aka low weight in seat?.
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...activation.htm
Cubieman (04-13-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 01:30 PM
JBSL
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Jfrik
I am not sure what that specific connection goes to, I would have to go back and look at my factory seats. If need be I can pull them out of the basement this weekend and check.

I am fairly confident that the airbag system in these cars are of the older style non-variable deployment type and do not use weight sensors.

In Europe as I am sure you know, the GT3 could be equipped with a non adjustable bucket seat. The chassis wiring does not change in this instance (that I am aware of) and the bucket seat has no wiring to it. This stands to support the idea that the only pertinent connections for the airbag system are/is the connection in the seat belt receptacle.
I think this is correct in regard to the sensors for weight and the air bag is on it's own plug (small blue with 4 pins).
Old 04-13-2021, 02:07 PM
Cubieman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JBSL
I think this is correct in regard to the sensors for weight and the air bag is on it's own plug (small blue with 4 pins).
So if the airbag is only "communicating" to the blue 4 pin connector then it would seem the other connector could go unused.

But I would sure like to know what it is and if it will cause issues if left unplugged.

Is there a Porsche equivalent to "realoem" or "newtis" like for BMW parts so we could bring up the exploded view of the seats with all parts/part #'s shown?
Old 04-13-2021, 02:44 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,658 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Originally Posted by Cubieman
Here is the bottom of the factory GT3 seat. You can see two distinct wires, one (blue 4 pin) on the right goes to seat belt and the other (3 pin, 2 used) on the left goes up into the seat back and feels as though it connects to the "wire mesh" seat back area.
I can't help but think that the connector on the left that goes up onto the seat back is an occupancy sensor.
If this is left unplugged won't I have an issue??
I left the picture so you can see it - the "3 pin" you mention is actually a 6-pin, two used, one is a dummy pin. The two "used" wires - brown and red - go to the seat recline motor.
The 996's don't have occupancy sensors or weight sensors or anything like that. The seat belt latch sensors are it.
Cubieman (04-13-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 03:48 PM
Cubieman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by theprf
I left the picture so you can see it - the "3 pin" you mention is actually a 6-pin, two used, one is a dummy pin. The two "used" wires - brown and red - go to the seat recline motor.
The 996's don't have occupancy sensors or weight sensors or anything like that. The seat belt latch sensors are it.
Duh! Thank you!
Old 04-15-2021, 12:20 AM
Cubieman
Intermediate

EDIT: I think I will just simply plug the blue 4 pin into the connector in the vehicle rather than mangle the factory seat wiring/connector. It would seem there are multiple ways to secure just the blue 4 pin.

I suppose I could find a used wiring harness if I wanted the full connector.

On a side note these Nogaros are awesome, especially for the price, I cannot wait to get them both in and try them out. For $3080 seats/brackets shipped these are a GREAT option for a street/track crossover seat.

I am having trouble de-pinning the power portion of the connector. I would assume these pins have "legs" that protrude once inserted into connector to keep them in place but I do not see these. I do not have a set of de-pin tools unfortunately.

I really do NOT want to cut these wires, thanks for any help. Can't wait to get these in, the vinyl looks great, almost like leather.

Last edited by Cubieman; 04-15-2021 at 10:41 AM.
strathconaman (04-15-2021)
Old 04-15-2021, 10:40 AM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,658 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Those are very nice!
To get the 2 round pins out there are two tabs on the pin that need to be compressed. You need a small cylinder of thin metal to do this. These can be found in pin removal tool kits (search Anazon). I made one using the handle of an acid brush, which is used by plumbers to apply soldering flux.
Cubieman (04-15-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 01:22 PM
Sveach756
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

These are on my watch list for my 986, currently have recaro sportster CS but want to sit a little lower. Do they sit lower than factory? I have gt3 seats in my 996 which are perfect. When you're done can you post more detailed fitment photos?
Thanks!
Shawn

Quick Reply: Cobra Nogaros in GT3, issues?