996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Another 996 Smoking on Track: Seeking Pre-Event Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2021, 06:07 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,483 Likes on 2,010 Posts

To everyone to make it clear, my Oem aos failed in 2006. The only choice available was to go with the Motorsport AOS. The UAOS didn't exist at that time.
The following users liked this post:
Porschetech3 (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 08:57 PM
Slopeslider
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I can validate that lowering the oil level to about half on the dip stick or electronic gauge resolved my issues with smoking on the track. For once a simple fix for a potentially scary problem. I also use DT40 and haven’t had any issues. I think it’s probably fine for the track.

Last edited by Slopeslider; 07-01-2021 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-01-2021, 10:58 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
The conditions on 996 that cause the smoking are hard braking/long right hand turns/ followed by full throttle.

The " Porsche Factory Fix" for this was lowered oil level (1/2 qt on 996.1 and on mid 2002 up, a shorter dipstick (by 1/2 qt) , the problem is increased when the blow-by increases.

The original intention of the UAOS was ease of replacement of the diaphragm ( done in 10 min) along with a warning system consisting of a Microprocessor Controlled Infra-red Sensor placed in the Accumulator ( a secondary air/oil separator) that will warn the driver of system failure. The Accumulator is schedualed to be drained at 3k miles during regular oil changes on cars driven normally in good health ..

The high mileage/Extreme Track Duty Auto Drain was recently added as I am always improving the product, On Track cars with more blow-by than normal (Zbomb) it allows more drains (2) to the accumulated oil that before only had one factory size drain to the sump. And the reason I am not fond of the Motorsport AOS, it holds/removes more oil from the sump((@ 1.5 liters), and can only drain so fast given on one factory sized drain.

The car Tom mentioned above I think is Kris's car, who has had issues for years . He replaced the AOS 3-4 times thinking it was the issue,before he put the UAOS on and he even fills up the UAOS Accumulator really quick and sets off the warning, He just got the high mileage/Extreme Track Duty Auto Drain last week.
Skip. you are correct. The car Tom was talking about is mine. We'll be installing the new AOS you sent this weekend as well as the drain. I'll be headed up to the Glen in two weeks to test it out. I'd get another car, but I really like driving this stupid thing.
The following users liked this post:
Porschetech3 (07-01-2021)

Quick Reply: Another 996 Smoking on Track: Seeking Pre-Event Advice