Crazy excessive wear - Continental ExtremeContact Sports

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2021, 12:54 PM
dwhitlow
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Crazy excessive wear - Continental ExtremeContact Sports

Hey all,
I mentioned this in another thread, but I've got some crazy excessive wear on a nearly-new set of ExtremeContact Sports. I had a full set put on last year in September. Since then, I've put on ~4200 miles due to not driving much. Outings have mainly been errands, the occasional cruise, etc. Just normal street driving. No burnouts, track days, etc. The fronts look nearly new, but the rears are toasted past the wear markers, and showing steel. I admit I hadn't really noticed other than thinking the road noise had been getting higher than would be expected on my most recent drives.

For additional context, I had the tires installed in September 2020. I then replaced all of the control arms, drop links, sway bushings, etc and had it aligned within ~800 miles of getting the tires. So the last 3400 miles have been on a mostly fresh suspension with what should be a good alignment. Alignment was done at my local independent Porsche shop.

Apart from a really faulty set of tires, anything else standout based on the pics below and how they are wearing that you guys can think I should look at?

I'm working with Big O Tires to warranty them, but they are having a tough time coming up with a replacement pair of the same tire for the rears. I've also started communication with Continental, but since it's the weekend, I'm not expecting to hear anything back from them right away.

Right Rear

Left Rear

BTW, dirty spots under tires are just dirt coming off the tires after washing it and I put it up on a Quick Jack to get a better look at the tires.
Old 08-21-2021, 01:14 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 1,863 Likes on 899 Posts

Do you happen to have the whole spec info on these? Like load rating and etc. That sucks and I learned the hard way on a set of Michelin Latitude Sport 3s on my VW, there are 3 different sets all of which are approved for Porsche Cayenne's BUT one is considered the sport/performance tire of the set and only lasted for 5k miles. Also look at the manufacture date on the tire as well... something to think about when buying tires.
Old 08-21-2021, 01:27 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,102 Likes on 708 Posts

With a tread wear rating of 340 and 30K limited warranty, seems like you should be able to get them replaced. Where did you purchase? I've never seen tire wear like that on any car!
Here are the specs https://continentaltire.com/tires/extremecontact-sport
Old 08-21-2021, 03:01 PM
stevensctt
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

This is the Continental Brand Manager in the US. Contact him

https://www.linkedin.com/in/joe-maher-b00058125/
Old 08-21-2021, 03:14 PM
dwhitlow
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stevensctt
This is the Continental Brand Manager in the US. Contact him

https://www.linkedin.com/in/joe-maher-b00058125/
That's awesome. Thanks for the info. I'll reach out.
Old 08-21-2021, 03:33 PM
dwhitlow
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris
Do you happen to have the whole spec info on these? Like load rating and etc. That sucks and I learned the hard way on a set of Michelin Latitude Sport 3s on my VW, there are 3 different sets all of which are approved for Porsche Cayenne's BUT one is considered the sport/performance tire of the set and only lasted for 5k miles. Also look at the manufacture date on the tire as well... something to think about when buying tires.
From what it looks like, the tires were manufactured in February 2020 based on the 0720 and 0820 date codes on the sidewalls.

Here are the specs/load rating for the 285/30 ZR 18 rear tires direct from Continental's site:

Old 08-21-2021, 03:54 PM
dwhitlow
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
With a tread wear rating of 340 and 30K limited warranty, seems like you should be able to get them replaced. Where did you purchase? I've never seen tire wear like that on any car!
Here are the specs https://continentaltire.com/tires/extremecontact-sport
Purchased and installed at a Big O Tires here in SoCal. I have generally had good luck with them in the past. Their shop manager is trying to be helpful, but they apparently have no stock available for a replacement set of the same tire. (Tire Rack say they have them in stock, so I know they are out there somewhere). Additionally, Big O's district manager is stating my extended hazard warranty doesn't cover this (frustrating), and they are pointing me at Continental for warranty coverage vs just honoring the warranty and/or making it right from their side.

They did suggest replacing with a different brand/model, but I'm not interested in running a mixed set of brand/model tires, nor should I be expected to be.

Old 08-23-2021, 12:49 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris
The older the tire is, the harder the rubber will be,So the tread will last longer than a recently made tire. Tires can get so hard that they will last years past the time they are safe to drive on.
Old 08-23-2021, 01:16 PM
Joel987
Racer

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts

At first reading the thread title I was thinking the toe was way off, expecting to see one edge worn down to the cords. I've never seen a tire wear out that evenly in such few miles. Could the tires have been massively under inflated? The gauges on tire mounting machines are always way off.

You should be able to get the tires adjusted by Continental. They will pro-rate the tires based on the miles driven since mounted. The tire shop should work with the mfr to get them adjusted. Shops do that all the time.
Old 08-23-2021, 07:04 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Wearing out a set of rear tires on a 911 in 4,200 miles is not that hard to do with very spirited street/track driving. However, you should get far more mileage than this for normal street driving. You mentioned that you got an alignment 800 miles in with these tires but they appear to be wearing oddly even across the tires. Did you put a less aggressive (i.e., little camber) alignment on the car? Perhaps something was installed incorrectly during your rear suspension refresh that is causing your excessive tire wear?

What are the measurements of the front tires? I typically find with 911s that I get about two times the mileage on front tires compared to rears.

I hope these Continental tires are more durable than this as I put a set of these same tires on my 996 in July of 2020. I think I have less than 1,000 miles on mine (I know, I need to drive the 996 more) so far, so I really cannot attest to the durability of these tires on my car.
Old 08-23-2021, 11:33 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 1,863 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
The older the tire is, the harder the rubber will be,So the tread will last longer than a recently made tire. Tires can get so hard that they will last years past the time they are safe to drive on.
Absolutely agree but they tend to wear oddly and have ride quality issues. I was a parts guy in a Lexus dealer for 6 years before leaving the industry and we'd swap tires out every 6 months.
Old 08-24-2021, 01:11 PM
dougn
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

i would suspect too much rear toe in
Old 08-24-2021, 02:24 PM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Received 658 Likes on 403 Posts

It seems like it has to either excessive toe-in or toe-out because the tires would have to be scrubbing all the time to use that much tread in 4k miles. If there is more tire wear at the outside (hard to tell from the pictures), then there is too much toe-in. If there is more wear at the inside, then too much toe-out. If they gave you any data on the alignment, you might want to look at those numbers against factory spec. This threat talks about toe-in a bit -> https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...r-toe-out.html
Old 08-24-2021, 07:31 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 544 Posts

I just went through this with a set of SUMI's.
Alignment was off...
Old 08-24-2021, 10:49 PM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Received 658 Likes on 403 Posts

I vaguely remember, when the 996 first came out, the early reviews saying that it would chew through tires very quickly. I have not experienced that at all on either of my 996's, so I wonder if Porsche changed the toe-in specs at some point to reduce tire wear. If Porsche did change the spec at some point (which is speculation on my part), maybe the shop who did the alignment was using the earlier specs.

Quick Reply: Crazy excessive wear - Continental ExtremeContact Sports