Strange 996.2 issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2022, 07:18 PM
Neil Brian Knuth
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange 996.2 issue

Hello guys,

Just bought a 2002 996 Carrera base, and have had it about 1 month. Just yesterday, a number of things happened all at once.
1. The regular headlights stopped working (high beams were fine)
2. Heater blower stopped working (control panel lights up but that's it)
3. Rear defrost button stopped working (won't light up when pressed)
4.The windshield wipers stopped working

Tried a couple of things (fuses, unhooking the battery) but no change.
So, next I went to the dash to check the oil and see if there were any error messages, and of course I had to put the ignition to the on position (accessory).
Then BAM everything works again, but ONLY when the ignition is on accessory. Wipers are slow though, not working at proper speed.
If I turn the engine over, nothing works again. Also, noticed the key goes into the ignition sort of hard.

I'm going to have to take it in on Monday, but any ideas what is going on here?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Neil Brian Knuth; 01-01-2022 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-01-2022, 07:43 PM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,557 Likes on 917 Posts

Ignition switch
The following 3 users liked this post by EVOMMM:
Elumere (01-03-2022), Neil Brian Knuth (01-01-2022), sasilverbullet (01-01-2022)
Old 01-01-2022, 08:01 PM
Neil Brian Knuth
5th Gear

Bingo. I just did some research after reading your reply. Common 996 issue it seems? Also looks like it's something I can change out myself.
Thanks a million man!
Old 01-01-2022, 09:17 PM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,557 Likes on 917 Posts

There’s a good you tube video on it unfortunately I’m not mechanical at all but it looked doable
Old 01-01-2022, 09:38 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 746 Likes on 387 Posts

+1 on the Headlight Switch
Old 01-01-2022, 09:51 PM
Slopeslider
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Had something similar happen and it was the ignition switch. Takes about 15-20 mins to change out. There are several good DYI’s on the forum. They commonly go bad, I’ve had to change mine 3 different times in the past 11 years.
The following 2 users liked this post by Slopeslider:
Elumere (01-03-2022), Neil Brian Knuth (01-01-2022)
Old 01-01-2022, 10:29 PM
Neil Brian Knuth
5th Gear

Thanks for the insight. I just ordered the original Porsche part from Pelican and from the DIY info looks doable but a cramped space type job.
Old 02-19-2022, 04:01 AM
Neil Brian Knuth
5th Gear

Hey guys, just thought I would do a follow up on the issue with the ignition switch.
1. Tip one, make sure you take out the existing switch first so you know which one you need. haha. I ordered the upgraded one that needs the upgraded ignition assembly, which was a mistake. Should have confirmed that first.
2. Tip two, I did the whole replacement myself with these points in mind:
a. It's very doable but as others have mentioned it's a tight squeeze for your head and arms to get under the dash. I'm 5'9 and 170 lbs., any bigger and I would imagine it to be almost impossible.
b. To get the screws loose on either side of the switch, it's darn near impossible to see which direction the flat head screw is positioned so you can get the driver in, so I took photos with my smart phone by shoving it up in there to see up close.
c. You'll need a precision driver set. I tried other short arm drivers but they are just too wide. Slim driver set is necessary.
d. You may need to move a few other things out of the way that are movable to make room for your arms. The air vent is a must, then there are a few other wires and gadgets that can be shoved over carefully. This makes a huge difference.
3. In all, it took me about 1 hour to do myself. If I were to do it again, probably only about 20 minutes now that I know how to do it, and the total cost just being the 70 bucks for the switch.
4. I got the initial ignition switch through Pelican, which was the wrong one, so I just called up the local Audi dealer and they had the matching part (the original was also an Audi part, I could see the symbol on the side). So, you could probably pick it up locally instead of waiting for an order.

Last edited by Neil Brian Knuth; 02-19-2022 at 04:08 AM.
Old 02-19-2022, 08:18 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil Brian Knuth
Hey guys, just thought I would do a follow up on the issue with the ignition switch.
1. Tip one, make sure you take out the existing switch first so you know which one you need. haha. I ordered the upgraded one that needs the upgraded ignition assembly, which was a mistake. Should have confirmed that first.
2. Tip two, I did the whole replacement myself with these points in mind:
a. It's very doable but as others have mentioned it's a tight squeeze for your head and arms to get under the dash. I'm 5'9 and 170 lbs., any bigger and I would imagine it to be almost impossible.
b. To get the screws loose on either side of the switch, it's darn near impossible to see which direction the flat head screw is positioned so you can get the driver in, so I took photos with my smart phone by shoving it up in there to see up close.
c. You'll need a precision driver set. I tried other short arm drivers but they are just too wide. Slim driver set is necessary.
d. You may need to move a few other things out of the way that are movable to make room for your arms. The air vent is a must, then there are a few other wires and gadgets that can be shoved over carefully. This makes a huge difference.
3. In all, it took me about 1 hour to do myself. If I were to do it again, probably only about 20 minutes now that I know how to do it, and the total cost just being the 70 bucks for the switch.
4. I got the initial ignition switch through Pelican, which was the wrong one, so I just called up the local Audi dealer and they had the matching part (the original was also an Audi part, I could see the symbol on the side). So, you could probably pick it up locally instead of waiting for an order.
I actually replaced the set screw on mine with a cap head screw that I pointed the tip on. I can now replace it with finger tips only.
Old 02-21-2022, 05:23 AM
blacksquid
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Good idea!

Originally Posted by JTT
I actually replaced the set screw on mine with a cap head screw that I pointed the tip on. I can now replace it with finger tips only.

Quick Reply: Strange 996.2 issue