Sponsored by:

*** The Official 996 Forum Off Topic Thread ***

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2022, 07:09 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 1,856 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr_Strangelove
A pickup truck certainly crosses my mind every now and then, however, it seems I'm going to have to get an entry model unless I increase my budget. Used pickup values have me kind of scared off at the moment. Thanks for the recco!

At the moment I'm not but as my boy grows I'm not sure where life will take us. I can't see myself towing anything more substantial than a Porsche behind me, however, and I feel the GX is up to the task? I have no clue hence the question mark.

I do like the Pilot but I worry about 4x4 capability. See my comment below, please...

That's what I've been reading / learning. As I started talking about them I came to find out that my business partner's cousin has one that is highly modified for off-road and so I've politely requested a ride-along upon his next visit to NV. The funny thing is I know that most people (correctly) believe that most of these SUV's will not see desert rocks. There are 3 off-road trailheads leading out of my neighborhood and into the Mojave as I'm fortunate to be at the permanent outskirts of town. (Power company owns the land behind our house.) Suffice it to say I have big plans to see some dirt and rocks - whatever I end up with. Now that I'm looking I see a LOT of older GX's heading out on the trails.
I might be in your area next year, looking to do the Mojave trail. Oddly enough the rest of the world who didn’t get a Lexus brand got the 4.0L V6 and the small diesel optioned Toyota Prado. The 4.7 and 4.6 engines are damned near indestructible and the running gear matches in durability. Can’t remember the years but a magnetic suspension was an option and dude it was amazing for it’s time.
Old 04-05-2022, 04:04 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

That's awesome Chunk. I have so much to learn about all of this - I've never even heard of that trail but I just looked it up and it looks really fun. Off-road really just a nagging thought that has built up over the years as I've been surrounded by all of this beautiful desert wilderness. I try to do as much outside as I can and naturally marrying my two passions of vehicles and the desert southwest seems like a win-win for me. As I start chatting about it with people I know of course I'm coming to find out I'm surrounded by people who are active in it or interested in it so I'm hoping to catch a chance to go out with someone before I can cook my breakfast on the sidewalk.
Old 04-05-2022, 04:38 PM
pulpo
Pro

Received 368 Likes on 211 Posts

if you want to really explore, get a motorcycle. helps when you encounter situations like this. This was yesterday actually. I would have had to turn around (somehow) if I was in a 4x4.

Old 04-05-2022, 05:16 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

I have thought about that pulpo, it seems like 1/4 of my neighbors have a dirt bike or a quad bike. I've never ridden a motorcycle so I'm hesitant to go that route. First time for everything, though.
Old 04-05-2022, 06:00 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 1,856 Likes on 896 Posts

That's awesome Chunk. I have so much to learn about all of this - I've never even heard of that trail but I just looked it up and it looks really fun. Off-road really just a nagging thought that has built up over the years as I've been surrounded by all of this beautiful desert wilderness. I try to do as much outside as I can and naturally marrying my two passions of vehicles and the desert southwest seems like a win-win for me. As I start chatting about it with people I know of course I'm coming to find out I'm surrounded by people who are active in it or interested in it so I'm hoping to catch a chance to go out with someone before I can cook my breakfast on the sidewalk.
This would be my first trail too but love the outdoors and camped a lot with my grandpa in Puerto Rico, he is a Korean and Vietnam war vet so we learned a lot... also helps that I did aircrew survival training while in the Air Force. Apparently it takes 3-4 days to do the full 140mi-ish trail. I'd plan to start at Laughlin NV and end close to Barstow CA. My VW is currently lowered and plan on adding a 3" lift and slapping on some 255/65/19s, it's a TDI so it shouldn't have much of an issue getting around. The drive from Miami to Laughlin is about 2500mi and that should take about 3-3.5days, my family thinks I'm a crazy person but I work for 8 months a year and have 4 months off. Unfortunately I'd probably do this trip solo and have one buddy in TX that would come with me but he'd be riding with me. Had a suicide in my family in 2020 and it's really really getting to me so told my girlfriend that there are some things I'd like to do before turning 45, currently 39 and turning 40 in Oct. So far there are only 4 things the car would need to be ready:

Lift
Spare Tire Carrier
Winch
Recovery items(Guess that's part of having a winch)

I have several other things that are on that bucket list that involve cars but these are the ones that I'd like to do in the 996.

1. Pikes Peak
2. Utah Salt Flats
3. Tail of the Dragon

Last edited by TheChunkNorris; 04-05-2022 at 06:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
zbomb (04-05-2022)
Old 04-05-2022, 08:05 PM
pulpo
Pro

Received 368 Likes on 211 Posts

I have thought about that pulpo, it seems like 1/4 of my neighbors have a dirt bike or a quad bike. I've never ridden a motorcycle so I'm hesitant to go that route. First time for everything, though.
That was me 1 year ago! Definitely one of the best decisions I made. Riding the motorcycle off-road is a feeling of freedom I haven't felt since I was a kid.
The following 3 users liked this post by pulpo:
Dr_Strangelove (04-12-2022), GC996 (04-12-2022), JohnCA58 (04-05-2022)
Old 04-12-2022, 09:33 AM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 672 Likes on 467 Posts
Default My birthday week

We were scheduled to go to the beach in Port Aransas Texas, so instead we decided to come to San Antonio, wasn’t going to be warm enough to get into the water. Many things to do. First load up the cooler IPAs, Miller lite. Wife wanted to go to “Mi Tierra”. Mexican place awesome food and drinks, they have their bakery and to top it all off it’s open 24 hours a day. First time I came to Mi Tierra was 1986, still same recipe good reasonable price food open 24 hours a day and as always there is a wait. Anyway we had a blast. Brought my son and the brother in law. They went to Hooters on the rivet walk. If you are ever in San Antonio you definitely need to go to mi Tierra. Some pics.

Had to load up for San Antonio.

Inside mi Tierra all day and night you have mariachis, and also singers with guitars.

Mexican cookies, pastries, pretty traditional.

I made the queso on Sunday, rótel velveta, a can of cream of chicken or mushrooms, a chopped jalapeño, jimmy dean spicy breakfast sausage.

We had to wait like 45 minute for dinner So off course we hit the bar. A relief from Vegas, $5.50 for 23 onz drafts.

Queso fundido for appetizer with spicy Mexican chorizo with fresh made flour tortillas.

I had mole. This is something that takes a bunch of work to make. To make the black sauce you have to ground all kinds of chiles, also peanuts and it also has some chocolate on it. Off course more flour tortillas, margaritas and beer.
Old 04-12-2022, 10:21 AM
theprf
Drifting

Received 1,645 Likes on 1,046 Posts

It's nigh on impossible to get good mole up here in Massachusetts. It's like spicy peanut butter at every place. The only decent mole is at Sol Azteca in Brookline. I got so spoiled on good mole when I liven in Santa Ana.
Old 04-13-2022, 11:13 AM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 672 Likes on 467 Posts
Default Day two. Awesome cars 996 test drive

We started early. Pretty good breakfast at the Hotel. We went to visit my wife’s aunt and got some bill Miller bbq for lunch. I made myself a niece moist brisket sausage sandwich with a few IPAs. Potato salad and pinto beans. We had to run a bunch of Aaron’s, trying to find a cord for my wife’s Apple laptop, I drop them at the mall and I went to total wine. They were sampling quite a bit of bourbons I finished buying **** creek 9, early times bib, and cheap Kentucky deluxe. Anyway after that Cars, went to see test drove blue 2002 Carrera. The place had a bunch of niece car but this Carrera had some red flags for me. First thing was car was fully warmed when I got there. Car is pretty plain Jane manual seats, no rear wiper. As I’m driving I’m looking at a few things oil pressure, temps etc, cars mpg was 18. Oil smell like fuel, no coolant intermix. So the sales guy tells me that they spent $3k on the car in November and he had the work order. Brand new brake but the pedal felt mushy, no lips on the rotors, new pads and sensors. Clutch was super stiff, no slip. Anyway I asked the guy you know what oil they put in the car?? He said synthetic. Then i asked what viscosity grade and he says. I don’t know we need to ask the service manager. I was able to accelerate Hard to 60, engine felt hesitant, like something was holding back, I’ll guarantee my car is faster and revs more freely. Anyway when we get back to the dealership he says here is the car fax and what we did to the car. They said tires were rebalance and rotated , I said sir this car has different size tires in front and back, their add said the car had 17s, wrong 18 on the 40th anniversary wheels. Anyway these people put 7 quarts motor oil 3 quarts motor oil additives. 6 qt synthetic atf. On top of that I asked you had and advertise price Monday i call you and now Tuesday your price went up by $1k. So he says well you called and then someone else was interested. I said if you’ll think I drove here to see the car you assumption is wrong, I’m here on my birthday week, look at my license. Then I say you guys didn’t even clean these car properly a lot of wax residue, dirty frunk. Radio had code etc. I said you know that if you get this car paint corrected you can get more than the cost and it will show better. Anyway too many red flags, I said if I get a chance I’ll come by we can start it when cold. Car other than the wheels is all original. Ride height is high need a better suspension. I guess I got to drive it and see a bunch of cool cars. Finally closing the evening the bar and Restaurant at Tower of the Americas 750 ft in the air.

Lunch, bill miller’s bbq is reasonable, about average, sausage is good, all over San Antonio so ok.

Birthday shopping hunting for rare bourbons.

**** creek was $25 cheaper than at home. Early times bib may be never made again, got the last bottle.

Hell cat

Cool Ferrari,

GT40.

2002 Carrera 44k miles. Overpriced, too many red flags.

Time to let it go.

Dessert after drinks, I had a 12 onz rare herb crusted prime rib. Waiter was super cool. Got us two extra desserts and he bought my voodo ranger hazy juice Ipa, I tipped him $50.

Last edited by 3/98 911 coupe; 04-13-2022 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-15-2022, 02:44 PM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 121 Posts

Should Elon own Twitter? What say ye?
Old 04-15-2022, 02:57 PM
Fishah
Burning Brakes

Received 1,124 Likes on 409 Posts

Should? Not sure what that means.

Twitter is a company, like every company.

Companies get taken private all the time.

If Elon wants to do it, and can pull it off, then it's a business deal like any other.

Not sure what you mean by should... It's not an ethical question.

Unless you're asking if we think it's a financially sound decision? I gotta imagine the wealthiest man in the world has done his diligence on the financials.

Last edited by Fishah; 04-15-2022 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-15-2022, 03:17 PM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Should is the right question. A company that takes over the public square should be owned by someone willing to allow opposing viewpoints.
Old 04-15-2022, 03:26 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,355 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by Putt-Putt
Should Elon own Twitter? What say ye?
This seems like a lame attempt to stir up political B.S. I think there's a subforum for that. One of the reasons I come here is to get break from that crap.
The following 2 users liked this post by SoCal911t:
user 8298308 (04-20-2022), wdb (04-15-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 03:35 PM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Originally Posted by SoCal911t
This seems like a lame attempt to stir up political B.S. I think there's a subforum for that. One of the reasons I come here is to get break from that crap.
Isn't this that subforum?
Old 04-15-2022, 04:05 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

No, there's a Politics sub-forum for members, which is in the official Off-Topic section. This "Off-Topic" thread is on the fringe of what the mods normally allow and our only hope of keeping this thread alive is staying civil and keeping politics and other topics that might incite strong viewpoints out of it.
The following users liked this post:
Putt-Putt (04-15-2022)

Quick Reply: *** The Official 996 Forum Off Topic Thread ***