Porsche says the whole industry is going green

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2022, 10:30 AM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 672 Likes on 467 Posts
Default Jake I hear you.

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
The newly proposed Rivian EV truck plant is set to be built 10 miles from the FSI R&D facility. Our whole community has come together to oppose it, and along the way we’ve learned a lot about the EV culture and what is driving it.
We are in opposition because we want thousands of acres of farm land to remain farm land, and we do not want a two lane road turning into a freeway. We don’t want, or need the jobs that its bringing, because local businesses already can’t find help.

Last week Rivian brought 5 trucks to a local event. Guess how they arrived? On the back of a diesel powered truck. They would not drive them, because they have a lousy range of something like 150 miles.

All this EV stuff is a fad. It’ll fizzle out before the government mandates ever take shape.

I would not mind building my own hybrid, using a single cylinder Kubota diesel generator in the back of a Prius, as long as I could make it not look like I was actually driving a Prius. That’s about the extent of my interest in anything that is even remotely associated with an EV.
since I had bought 3 new F150s since 2015, I was invited to test drive a prototype f 150 lightning. Accelerates great, the interior space is exactly why I like the super crew cab. The price wasnt bad about $43000 like I wanted it at the moment. What I like about it, 1. No engine so the frunk is a covered storage space, 2. it can power your house with the right set up so I’m not buying a generator. My dislikes, always new models have quirks and I don’t want those, we take the truck on a lot of trips to the beach here south Texas (north padre (corpus), south padre, port aransas etc, not a lot of electric charging stations over where we would travel long distances, now if you live in Austin there’s a bunch of stuff there. I’m invested in Rivian thru Ford ownership. The F150 lighting 2022 production is sold out as your engine program it is going to depend on how demand Goes for the vehicles. Porsche will be Tesla’s high performance competition, Ford will be the vehicle for the masses. Rivian , Neo and all the others
will fill the empty space. FYI people from Austin are actually pissed because with all the Tesla activity there, housing cost is going thru the roof. Sorry this is going to happen on your neck of the woods.
Old 03-27-2022, 10:48 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by 3/98 911 coupe
since I had bought 3 new F150s since 2015, I was invited to test drive a prototype f 150 lightning. Accelerates great, the interior space is exactly why I like the super crew cab. The price wasnt bad about $43000 like I wanted it at the moment. What I like about it, 1. No engine so the frunk is a covered storage space, 2. it can power your house with the right set up so I’m not buying a generator. My dislikes, always new models have quirks and I don’t want those, we take the truck on a lot of trips to the beach here south Texas (north padre (corpus), south padre, port aransas etc, not a lot of electric charging stations over where we would travel long distances, now if you live in Austin there’s a bunch of stuff there. I’m invested in Rivian thru Ford ownership. The F150 lighting 2022 production is sold out as your engine program it is going to depend on how demand Goes for the vehicles. Porsche will be Tesla’s high performance competition, Ford will be the vehicle for the masses. Rivian , Neo and all the others
will fill the empty space. FYI people from Austin are actually pissed because with all the Tesla activity there, housing cost is going thru the roof. Sorry this is going to happen on your neck of the woods.
I think we will beat it.. Lots of shady stuff is going on, and with Rivian being so unstable I think the purpose of the plant isn’t even real. I believe someone else wants the land, and it’ll end up being a huge data center, because Rivian will collapse before a single tool to build a truck is moved in to the building. Facebook already has a facility just down the road..
Old 03-27-2022, 11:06 AM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default Elan Musk publicly said Rivian will never be profitable

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
I think we will beat it.. Lots of shady stuff is going on, and with Rivian being so unstable I think the purpose of the plant isn’t even real. I believe someone else wants the land, and it’ll end up being a huge data center, because Rivian will collapse before a single tool to build a truck is moved in to the building. Facebook already has a facility just down the road..
yes I have my suspisions. I bought Ford at $5 so they were early investors in Rivian. If I want more exposure I’ll buy more Ford stock. Ford is going bananas on the electric front and they sell a lot of cars. Nivio is a better play as they are the largest ev manufacturer and they are in the largest ev market in the world China. For now I’ll keep on filling my 36 gallon tank on my F150, with the Kroger discount i paid $2.79 for regular and the Porsche with the shell v power 93 t mobile discount $4.34. Keep on doing what you are doing, we just need to be like Panasonic “anticipating the future”, my strategy is to sell some of my pure exploration and production stock COP, and invest in stuff that will be hot in the next 10-15 years. I’m not completely exiting COP, I’m just trimming my
position because oil is high and will go higher by summer. Good luck. 👍
Old 03-27-2022, 04:48 PM
pulpo
Pro

Received 368 Likes on 211 Posts

The stupid thing about the EVs we have gotten so far is how inefficiently they use electricity. Elon is not a car guy, he is a tech guy. And it shows when he builds the fastest production car in the world, and then gives it 5 seats, makes it weigh 2.5 tons, and an irrelevant 500 mile range. It should obviously be two different cars. A hyper efficient family commuter and a track weapon. When you cram it all into the same vehicle you end up with something that makes no sense, in my view.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Last edited by pulpo; 03-27-2022 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-27-2022, 06:36 PM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default Great points,

Originally Posted by pulpo
The stupid thing about the EVs we have gotten so far is how inefficiently they use electricity. Elon is not a car guy, he is a tech guy. And it shows when he builds the fastest production car in the world, and then gives it 5 seats, makes it weigh 2.5 tons, and an irrelevant 500 mile range. It should obviously be two different cars. A hyper efficient family commuter and a track weapon. When you cram it all into the same vehicle you end up with something that makes no sense, in my view.

I read where he has become the richest man in the world. Yeah sometimes some of the stuff he does it’s wacko. Met a guy yesterday that has a 991.2
targa 4S and was telling me that their model Y performance package 2021, is faster to 120 that the Porsche. !The model Y is an SUV!!!!! REMEMBER money talks bull**** walks.
Old 03-27-2022, 06:36 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 253 Posts

I think you just described the Panamera and Cayenne.
Old 03-27-2022, 06:42 PM
pulpo
Pro

Originally Posted by islaTurbine
I think you just described the Panamera and Cayenne.
To a certain extent, yep. Definitely the performance models fall into this category. Along with the BMW X5-M, the Audi RSQ8. But I think the model S plaid really is the flagship of nonsense-mobiles.
Old 03-27-2022, 06:50 PM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default Fast as Fck

To a certain extent, yep. Definitely the performance models fall into this category. Along with the BMW X5-M, the Audi RSQ8. But I think the model S plaid really is the flagship of nonsense-mobiles.
this thing is crazy. I wasn’t aware of how fast this thing is. I’ll hope Porsche comes along and makes stuff that’s even faster.

Old 03-27-2022, 08:44 PM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 121 Posts

Oh boy, what does a guy need to accomplish in this world stop getting stupid criticisms thrown at him. Beyond ridiculous. The Model Y and Model 3 are the main vehicles for Tesla. Plaid is a muscle flex. Nuff said.
Old 03-27-2022, 09:41 PM
pulpo
Pro

Originally Posted by Putt-Putt
Oh boy, what does a guy need to accomplish in this world stop getting stupid criticisms thrown at him. Beyond ridiculous. The Model Y and Model 3 are the main vehicles for Tesla. Plaid is a muscle flex. Nuff said.
Did you notice that I criticized Porsche, Audi, and BMW for their behemoth performance crossovers as well? The difference being they also make driver's cars like M2, M4, R8, 911, etc. Tesla only makes 4 people movers that are variations of the same basic shape. The model 3 and model Y performance are stupid vehicles in my opinion. There is no reason for that acceleration on a people mover. The base models make perfect sense in their eco-mode, but the performance models with ludicrous mode is stupidly inefficient on a car that weighs nearly 5,000 lbs and that's how everyone drives them around.

Tesla Roadster was a cool car. They don't make a cool car at the moment, in my opinion. Waiting for them to make another.

Last edited by pulpo; 03-27-2022 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-27-2022, 10:36 PM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Did you notice that I criticized Porsche, Audi, and BMW for their behemoth performance crossovers as well? The difference being they also make driver's cars like M2, M4, R8, 911, etc. Tesla only makes 4 people movers that are variations of the same basic shape. The model 3 and model Y performance are stupid vehicles in my opinion. There is no reason for that acceleration on a people mover. The base models make perfect sense in their eco-mode, but the performance models with ludicrous mode is stupidly inefficient on a car that weighs nearly 5,000 lbs and that's how everyone drives them around.

Tesla Roadster was a cool car. They don't make a cool car at the moment, in my opinion. Waiting for them to make another.
To say Elon is not a car guy is crazy. McLaren F1 owner, has other amazing collector cars like the Lotus James Bond Sub. His Roadster in orbit right now. Started the only successful American car company since Chrysler with highest gross margins in the industry, I'd say he's a car guy +. Don't get me wrong, I agree with you on what a sports car should be, I have an NSX and S2000 and the 99 996, but I don't need Tesla to scratch that itch for me. On our third Tesla now, just got Model S, fast as hell and amazing in many ways. Disagree on Model 3 and Y, and consumer surveys show people love them, and for many reasons, not the least of which is the horn can play la cucaracha. .
Old 03-27-2022, 11:23 PM
pulpo
Pro

Originally Posted by Putt-Putt
To say Elon is not a car guy is crazy. McLaren F1 owner, has other amazing collector cars like the Lotus James Bond Sub. His Roadster in orbit right now. Started the only successful American car company since Chrysler with highest gross margins in the industry, I'd say he's a car guy +. Don't get me wrong, I agree with you on what a sports car should be, I have an NSX and S2000 and the 99 996, but I don't need Tesla to scratch that itch for me. On our third Tesla now, just got Model S, fast as hell and amazing in many ways. Disagree on Model 3 and Y, and consumer surveys show people love them, and for many reasons, not the least of which is the horn can play la cucaracha. .
I'm wrong about him being a car guy then, I didn't know he collected cars. What I meant was his company doesn't make a car for car guys. Beyond being a 2nd vehicle for guys like you who also own sports cars. I agree the model S plaid is amazing technology. Imagine what it could be if it wasn't forced to have space for a family of 7 + luggage. The 2nd gen roadster could answer my call if it ever arrives.

Last edited by pulpo; 03-27-2022 at 11:26 PM.
Old 03-28-2022, 12:29 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,483 Likes on 2,010 Posts

I'm wrong about him being a car guy then, I didn't know he collected cars. What I meant was his company doesn't make a car for car guys. Beyond being a 2nd vehicle for guys like you who also own sports cars. I agree the model S plaid is amazing technology. Imagine what it could be if it wasn't forced to have space for a family of 7 + luggage. The 2nd gen roadster could answer my call if it ever arrives.
Agreed. Tesla cars are not built for car guys. They are built for affluent families who have enough money for an extra local mode of transportation that is "kinda neat". In 20 years people will look back in time and say... "Remember when the Tesla was the rage in the 2020's?".

Elon Must is a genius and single handedly created the EV revolution.. But he isn't invincible. Very shortly he will have more competition than he will know how to handle in the EV space and then with the next evolution of hybrids. This isn't a slam on Musk, Tesla, or the EV. Instead is a summation of the reality capitalism and the evolutionary process caused by creative destruction.

Old 03-28-2022, 09:49 AM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default Waiting to see the Icar

Originally Posted by GC996
Agreed. Tesla cars are not built for car guys. They are built for affluent families who have enough money for an extra local mode of transportation that is "kinda neat". In 20 years people will look back in time and say... "Remember when the Tesla was the rage in the 2020's?".

Elon Must is a genius and single handedly created the EV revolution.. But he isn't invincible. Very shortly he will have more competition than he will know how to handle in the EV space and then with the next evolution of hybrids. This isn't a slam on Musk, Tesla, or the EV. Instead is a summation of the reality capitalism and the evolutionary process caused by creative destruction.
There are a bunch of rumors and many questions had been asked about the Apple car. The company is pretty good at keeping secrets so who knows what’s coming. As of the last few years they have been talking to Porsche so that’s pretty good vehicle engineering. Apple normally just makes something that already exists and makes it better. Also Apple has the war chest to spend a ton of money on research and development. I’ll say something could be in the market by 2025.
Old 03-28-2022, 11:27 AM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Originally Posted by GC996

Tesla's patents are open source, they invite competition. They want a smaller percentage of a much larger market, only way to grow super huge. As the only player they're growth gets eventually stunted. They also claim an altruistic nature, moving the world to sustainable energy. Not sure I buy that last one as much.

Quick Reply: Porsche says the whole industry is going green