Sponsored by:

I have waited a long time to post this thread BAD NEWS

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2022, 08:09 AM
B13
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have waited a long time to post this thread BAD NEWS

My beloved 996 engine failed last year after a minor accident. I hit a mailbox post and damaged the passenger side radiator. After having the repair done I shipped it to a Porsche dealership to have the radiator fluid done properly as it is a pressured system.
Well not to long after that the engine seized while driving on the highway. I have so much money in this car that I literally felt like jumping off a cliff. My insurance company denied the claim and now I am stuck with a beautiful cabriolet that does not run. I thought of starting a go fund me page because I simply cannot afford to repair this car out of pocket.
So after filling you in on these details I want to ask what you think it's worth now.
It has a bunch of upgrades. I will list them here so you can help me determine the value.
I still have all the factory parts but I did add a Fister exhaust ceramic,
coatedGT3 style front bumper
S style rear bumper
3 spoke Dallast steering wheel alcantara(with airbag)
Porsche factory racing pedals.
turbo exhaust tips
Carrera emblems
Atermarket stereo
Coco matsBrand new Z rated tiresThe car is polar gray and grey interior. The steering wheel and coco mats are black and red
Their is more I just can't think of it right now That's about $6500 in upgrades alone.
should I part it out or is it better to sell the whole car. I don't want you to think I am trying to sneak an ad for the car in because I am not. I want to determine a fair value to sell. I don't know what a car with these upgrades and the factory parts removed would sell for.
Please let me know your thoughts. I live north of Boston. If I had $15k I would repair the engine. If anyone has a nice car to trade I might even think about that just so long as it runs.
My life has sucked for a year. To top it off it occured on Easter Sunday 2021.
I can take some photos if you want. I just didn't want it to look like an advertisment. I really do want to figure an approximate value. My car does not have a salvage title. It is a clear title with 55,000 miles on it.
You can PM me if you want to.

Last edited by B13; 05-08-2022 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Added more information

Popular Reply

05-08-2022, 07:29 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,678 Likes on 926 Posts

My 996 brethren... I should work for the FBI. I knew I recognized this car, especially since the rear tag was showing.

This 1999 Cabriolet is owned by "Brian996"... That's his old Rennlist user name.

Here is the car when it was sold and BEFORE it was molested:

The day it arrived home OR the day he decided to start painting the calipers? Notice the lone red caliper on the passenger front wheel.

The day Brian decided to add his "special touch" to the car:

And now this...

I don't know Brian personally, but IMHO, it's a shame what was done to this car.

Brian, I'm not trying to throw rocks at you, but what in the world happened dude? It's going to be almost impossible to unload this on the next person. If I've know anything about Porsche buyers, I've learned that most desire an unmolested car.

Sorry. Not a fan of all the mods. I would have kept it like the day you drove it home. Then I would have put the money in making the engine last.

Cheers!

For reference:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-for-it-2.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ce-needed.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/1175719-an-imsb-question-for-1999-owners-past-and-present.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/1135664-showing-off-my-be-steering-wheel.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-pictures.html

Old 05-08-2022, 08:30 AM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,558 Likes on 918 Posts

B13 if you had this thing for over a year why did you just join yesterday???
im confused what is it are you going for sympathy or advice
Old 05-08-2022, 08:35 AM
B13
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by NYPOWR4
I am sorry for confusing you. I am asking what it might be worth. Sympathy is not necessary. Thank you for responding. I just joined because I have decided to sell my car and I want to go where people know what a fair value is.
Have a nice day.
Old 05-08-2022, 08:52 AM
DDzPorsche
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by NYPOWR4
Or 'testing the waters' for the Go Fund Me page
Old 05-08-2022, 08:56 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 1,859 Likes on 898 Posts

Year and pics would be helpful. You could probably get a used engine somewhere for a 1/3rd of that.
Old 05-08-2022, 09:02 AM
hbdunn
Burning Brakes

Received 701 Likes on 376 Posts

If you are serious about getting rid of it I would put everything back to stock, join rennlist, TheNYMT list the car and the upgrade parts separately.

Ask 12 for the car and take anything over 8.
The following users liked this post:
Ratchet1025 (05-15-2022)
Old 05-08-2022, 09:03 AM
996C438
Rennlist Member

Received 641 Likes on 288 Posts

My 2 cents: the car as a roller in current condition is worth 8-10k . Anyone interested already knows a " top quality engine rebuild " will be 20k plus . If you part it out you may make more but you go through the painful process of tearing it apart and shipping parts . Another option is keep an eye out for a used engine .
Old 05-08-2022, 09:03 AM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 777 Likes on 497 Posts

OP you are joking about the GofundMe right?
Old 05-08-2022, 09:06 AM
B13
Cruisin'

I have never done a go fund me page. It was kind of a joke to begin with. I thought they were for charity anyway. Honestly I'm am trying to get a fair value on the vehicle with all these parts and the seized engine. Again I will post an ad once I can get a fair market value. I am an enthusiast just like you guys. This incident put me into a deep depression. Now it's time to make a move to sell or trade it. I use Google for everything. It's a great search engine. This website turned up so I am asking for information from people who want to help me out. Here are some pictures.
Again thank you for all who have replied so far. I can take more pictures to. Please just ask.
Steering wheel is barely touched

Old 05-08-2022, 09:09 AM
meirschwartz
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

you have two options in my opinion.
sell the upgrades separately, bring the car back to stock and sell it as a roller.
I'm no expert, but based on what I've seen in here, a roller with 55K miles in good shape can get you maybe 8K.
other option is to sell the whole car in parts. engine, transmission, body interior etc.
if you have the skills to do it yourself, and a place to store the car during the process, that's probably the option that will get you the most money.
Old 05-08-2022, 09:11 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

I'd recommend installing the OEM parts back on the car and parting out the rest... some things will be hard to sell so keep that in mind. A stock looking roller will be a lot easier to offload.
The following users liked this post:
Breakthru (05-09-2022)
Old 05-08-2022, 09:15 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996C438
My 2 cents: the car as a roller in current condition is worth 8-10k . Anyone interested already knows a " top quality engine rebuild " will be 20k plus . If you part it out you may make more but you go through the painful process of tearing it apart and shipping parts . Another option is keep an eye out for a used engine .
Honestly most good Indies can keep it under that price... most people in the 996 world love to have their engines done by Jack or LN but a very small percentage do. Hell you can buy a long block from Porsche for less than $9k.
Old 05-08-2022, 09:17 AM
CapeCoral944
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Does the convertible top work with the spoiler installed?
Old 05-08-2022, 09:37 AM
B13
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by CapeCoral944
Does the convertible top work with the spoiler installed?
Yes it does.
Old 05-08-2022, 09:38 AM
Corso
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 73 Posts

I'll buy the Fister mufflers. PM me a price.
*Edit* I see you're in MA. Get them pulled and I'll pick them up Tuesday.

Last edited by Corso; 05-08-2022 at 09:54 AM.

Quick Reply: I have waited a long time to post this thread BAD NEWS