Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: If you've done the delete, any regrets?
No regrets. 100% happy!
100.00%
Not sure it was the right move.
0%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: Console delete - any regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 06:56 PM
imhighlander
Rennlist Member

Received 404 Likes on 146 Posts
Question POLL: Console delete - any regrets?

I'm strongly considering doing a console delete as part of an interior restoration/modification. I currently have the center console intact, with top and bottom storage shelves instead of the vestigial CD slots. It's pretty handy, but I've always thought the center consoles in the 996 and 986 look like a design afterthought and that the fit and finish leaves a bit to be desired. I have kept the factory single-DIN stereo (with Becker Autosound Bluetooth mod), and my HVAC controls will stay in the dashboard.

Before I drop the $500 or so for the parts, I'd like to know whether anyone who has done the console delete has any regrets. Do you miss the storage the console provided?
Old 08-08-2022, 07:27 PM
Idaho911
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 172 Posts

None whatsoever. It's an absolute must if you're tall. I did it and have never looked back.

Tell me about this Becker Bluetooth Mod. I have the BOSE system with CD23 head unit, and would love to find a solution. What do you have?

Last edited by Idaho911; 08-08-2022 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-08-2022, 07:28 PM
barbancourt
Burning Brakes

Received 503 Likes on 277 Posts

No regrets. Gives the interior a nice classic look.
Old 08-08-2022, 07:57 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,428 Likes on 784 Posts

I loved the console delete in my other 996s. The only thing I missed was the storage.
Old 08-08-2022, 08:12 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

I don't regret it, I just wish I'd done it sooner so I could get the right carpet color match.

I also didnt want to pay $65-70 for the plastic cover thingy so i designed it myself and 3D printed it. Been thinking of selling them and perhaps custom versions for switches and/usb power etc

The following users liked this post:
imhighlander (08-09-2022)
Old 08-08-2022, 11:36 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 550 Likes on 336 Posts

it's nice having double storage bins but also nice having a delete
Old 08-09-2022, 01:08 AM
jdbornem
Pro

Received 486 Likes on 249 Posts

I'm tall, and it's the best change I've made to the car. It looks good too.
Old 08-09-2022, 07:14 AM
Coussa
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 64 Posts

No regrets and strongly recommend.

I am also looking into doing the Bluetooth retrofit for my CDR23. I found this from Rennkit: https://rennkit.com/product-info/blu...-retrofit-kit/

Does anyone have any experience with it?
The following users liked this post:
RennKit-Dave (08-09-2022)
Old 08-09-2022, 09:08 AM
imhighlander
Rennlist Member

Received 404 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Coussa
No regrets and strongly recommend.

I am also looking into doing the Bluetooth retrofit for my CDR23. I found this from Rennkit: https://rennkit.com/product-info/blu...-retrofit-kit/

Does anyone have any experience with it?
That's the setup I used on my Boxster (986.2). It works fine, but for a few bucks less and a week without the radio, Becker does the install with an internal module. I don't honestly know exactly what they do to the stereo unit but it's all internal. The stereo looks the same, but now with a sticker from Becker saying that it has Bluetooth.

I think the functionality is basically the same, but I'm not techie enough to know. The Becker solution seems to work fine for me. I'll pay attention to the audio quality in the Boxster/Rennkit setup and compare it to the 996/CDR23 Becker mod to see if I can perceive a meaningful difference.
Old 08-09-2022, 09:50 AM
Coussa
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by imhighlander
That's the setup I used on my Boxster (986.2). It works fine, but for a few bucks less and a week without the radio, Becker does the install with an internal module. I don't honestly know exactly what they do to the stereo unit but it's all internal. The stereo looks the same, but now with a sticker from Becker saying that it has Bluetooth.

I think the functionality is basically the same, but I'm not techie enough to know. The Becker solution seems to work fine for me. I'll pay attention to the audio quality in the Boxster/Rennkit setup and compare it to the 996/CDR23 Becker mod to see if I can perceive a meaningful difference.
Thank you so much for the info. After reading your post I did some more digging and see now what you're talking about. I will contact Becker directly as it seems the CDR23 unit has some limitations (no stereo for bluetooth playback) so I may have to change my unit to a CDR220 and get the Becker adapter for optimal results.
Old 08-09-2022, 10:07 AM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,121 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
I loved the console delete in my other 996s. The only thing I missed was the storage.
Originally Posted by 993GT
it's nice having double storage bins but also nice having a delete
Looks like the survey needs a "It's nice but I miss the storage too" option.

​​​​​​Bluetooth: I did the BTR kit. It uses the 6-CD changer input so you lose that but gain full stereo Bluetooth audio. Mine works just fine. There is also a hack around here somewhere to have the radio show "AUX" instead of "CD" when it is using that input. IIRC it just involved pushing the radio buttons in a certain sequence. Kind of cute. That said, there is a lot of needless stuff in the kit if you ask me; I eliminated about half of it. I wasn't looking for USB power ports and whatnot.
The following 2 users liked this post by wdb:
Coussa (08-09-2022), imhighlander (08-09-2022)
Old 08-09-2022, 10:56 AM
Sam-Son
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 176 Posts

Zero regrets. One of my favorite things about the 996 interior honestly
Old 08-09-2022, 12:08 PM
Idaho911
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by imhighlander

Any idea if the audio quality is better than a Bluetooth to FM adapter? I'm currently using one and it's....fine.....but a true Bluetooth connection is appealing.
Old 08-09-2022, 12:13 PM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,121 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by Idaho911
Any idea if the audio quality is better than a Bluetooth to FM adapter? I'm currently using one and it's....fine.....but a true Bluetooth connection is appealing.
An FM adapter adds two data conversions. BT digital -> FM analog at the sending end, FM analog -> digital signal at the other. It cannot help but be worse than a fully digital data transfer via Bluetooth.
Old 08-09-2022, 12:18 PM
Gary12000
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

I recently got my 996 and it has some kind of Bluetooth Functionality on the Aux selection, i was told it had a bluetooth adapter, sorry that this is becoming a BT post, i am wondering about the console delete also that's why i am here to see what people say... my car is a MY 2000 so it has no glove box, i am loathe to give up the small amount of storage the console provides, also if i decide to do the PCCM+ upgrade from Porsche which looks to be a decent upgrade then i will need the front Console to house the AC controls and the USB bit that comes with the unit to enable phone charging and direct connection to the unit.

The Bluetooth that is in mine currently i was told "it is by Ben from Germany"??? maybe i didn't hear or understand correctly as i cant find anything on line in the search i have done, anyway all i seem to have under aux is the capability to stream music from my phone, there is no hands free phone call ability as there is no Microphone that I am aware of, i can hear a person speaking to me but they can not hear me, so this may be obvious to all here but i thought it was worth mentioning.

Quick Reply: POLL: Console delete - any regrets?