Sponsored by:

Factory short block

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 01:20 AM
TT Oversteer
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Factory short block

Just out of curiousity while at the dealership, I asked the parts guy if factory M96 short blocks were still available. The answer was yes for just over $10k with a $4k core deposit and could be available in 4-6 weeks. Then I asked if it came with the newer, larger IMS bearing that requires case machining to retrofit. He did not have an answer for the IMS question. I know that a factory short block doesn’t solve the lokasil bore scoring issue but the prospect of a factory assembled short block would be tempting for the price if IMS retrofit was not required. The time savings alone has significant value. I would not, however want to buy one and replace the IMS bearing although I might take a chance on the lokasil bores if I had control of the maintenance the engine would receive going forward from new. Does anyone know what IMS bearing these factory engines come with? Has anyone here purchased one?
The following 2 users liked this post by TT Oversteer:
museguy (04-28-2024), TheChunkNorris (01-26-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 06:20 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

I have no hard evidence, but understand that they are the latest generation M96, meaning, large non-replaceable bearing.
Old 01-23-2023, 10:44 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,678 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Oversteer
Just out of curiousity while at the dealership, I asked the parts guy if factory M96 short blocks were still available. The answer was yes for just over $10k with a $4k core deposit and could be available in 4-6 weeks. Then I asked if it came with the newer, larger IMS bearing that requires case machining to retrofit. He did not have an answer for the IMS question. I know that a factory short block doesn’t solve the lokasil bore scoring issue but the prospect of a factory assembled short block would be tempting for the price if IMS retrofit was not required. The time savings alone has significant value. I would not, however want to buy one and replace the IMS bearing although I might take a chance on the lokasil bores if I had control of the maintenance the engine would receive going forward from new. Does anyone know what IMS bearing these factory engines come with? Has anyone here purchased one?
All the new short blocks come with the 6305 IMS bearing. I'm surprised they still can even offer the short block program with all the supply chain problems and parts shortages.
The following users liked this post:
Eurocarguy911 (02-03-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 10:54 AM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,721 Likes on 881 Posts

This is good news and a good option for some folks. Given that the 996 is part of Porsche's classic program I'm not that surprised that short blocks are available, unlike previously mentioned. The lead time is a positive surprise though! If parts are still available for older models then why not the 996.
Old 01-23-2023, 01:13 PM
JustinReinke8
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

I put one in my car over the summer. They had it delivered within a week. Runs great so far and buys me time to rebuild the 4.0 at a later date when time and funds allow. And yes, latest IMS bearing. Basically it had all the latest 997 improvements that Porsche had made to the M96 engine as far as I am aware.

Last edited by JustinReinke8; 01-23-2023 at 01:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JustinReinke8:
museguy (04-28-2024), porschedog (02-03-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 04:07 PM
TT Oversteer
Racer

This sounds like a viable option for a stock application such as a daily driver. Add the price of a cylinder head refresh and some ancillaries and a DIY owner could have a “new” engine for well under $15k. At least something that could survive the next 100k miles without too much worry…
The following 3 users liked this post by TT Oversteer:
blacksquid (02-01-2023), hoofdpijn (01-24-2023), plpete84 (01-23-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 04:40 PM
JustinReinke8
Intermediate

Yeah give or take it is around there. I am a bit over but I had some optional things done. I had the heads decked and checked out, all new seals and gaskets, plugs, new oil cooler, coolant expansion tank, etc. which are all normal items you need to do. I had a gt3 TB and ipd plenum transferred over, same with things like ARP headbolts, low temp thermostat, deep sump, spin on filter, etc. I optioned for a new lightweight flywheel and clutch, added UAOS and a numeric shifter with cables while everything was out. Serviced the transmission fluid and coolant. Then the labor for all that was not too bad. Not quite the 4.0 but not terribly far off. Rebuilding that was significantly more in just labor than the new factory short block and it was up and running in a couple months and that is with my mechanic squeezing me in between going to Monterey Car Week to prep and tend to the racecar collection he services. And there is a 2 year unlimited mile warranty on the short block. Some day I might try my hand at rebuilding the 4.0 and save the massive amounts of labor but the 3.6 is doing me well for now. Getting ready to do the first oil change and put on the RSS harmonic balancer/underdrive pulley.
damage98MO (02-09-2023), plpete84 (01-23-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 06:17 PM
TT Oversteer
Racer

Does anyone know if the factory short block uses new or remanufactured parts? I would assume remanufactured because of the core requirement, but how would that explain the cylinder surface conditioning? Are you getting new cases? Are the crank and rods rebuilt or new? If new, this would add a great deal of value here…..
Old 01-23-2023, 06:19 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 641 Likes on 400 Posts

I wish they have a similar program for a 997 short block, Or, do they?
Old 01-23-2023, 06:26 PM
JustinReinke8
Intermediate

Does anyone know if the factory short block uses new or remanufactured parts? I would assume remanufactured because of the core requirement, but how would that explain the cylinder surface conditioning? Are you getting new cases? Are the crank and rods rebuilt or new? If new, this would add a great deal of value here…..
Mine was all brand new, It has a unique part number on the block casting and there is no way they could have a reman that clean. I think they require the core as good faith that you are replacing one with another and not just hoarding these to resell. I also assume they had enough issues with them that they are still offering these from the factory for competitive prices and I view it as a similar situation to offering the 10 year warranty on 991.1 gt3 engines. Might even have something to do with the class action lawsuit or to prevent or deter further litigation. In any case, it is definitely brand new. They didn’t seem to care what state the old engine was in as if they wanted to reuse anything.
Old 01-23-2023, 07:14 PM
JustinReinke8
Intermediate

A couple of photos of the factory engine. In early stages of the replacement.

Eurocarguy911 (02-03-2023), museguy (04-28-2024)
Old 01-23-2023, 08:18 PM
TT Oversteer
Racer

That looks beautiful! It’s an interesting proposition:

Brand new factory assembled components with timely availability
No special tools, expensive instructional videos or tricky assembly procedures required
Two year warranty
Cost effective solution

However…..

Improved but non-replaceable IMS bearing
Lokasil bores
No “free” added displacement available

If Porsche would address the cylinder process this would be a home run in my opinion

Old 01-23-2023, 09:09 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 641 Likes on 400 Posts

That looks beautiful! It’s an interesting proposition:

Brand new factory assembled components with timely availability
No special tools, expensive instructional videos or tricky assembly procedures required
Two year warranty
Cost effective solution

However…..

Improved but non-replaceable IMS bearing
Lokasil bores
No “free” added displacement available

If Porsche would address the cylinder process this would be a home run in my opinion
I agree, but life is seldom if ever perfect.
Old 01-23-2023, 10:14 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,678 Likes on 926 Posts

Remember, we're talking SHORTblock here, not longblock. You will need special tools when working with the camshafts and timing the engine.

I also recommend the "expensive instructional videos" too.
Old 01-23-2023, 11:46 PM
TT Oversteer
Racer

Originally Posted by b3freak
Remember, we're talking SHORTblock here, not longblock. You will need special tools when working with the camshafts and timing the engine.

I also recommend the "expensive instructional videos" too.
Cam tools, yes, but a vastly simplified procedure vs the air cooled six. No main or rod bearing clearance or endplay checks, or torques. No ring filing. No piston circlip insertion tool or procedure. It seems most of the voodoo lies within the bottom end of these engines.

I have no doubt the videos are a fine product and worth every penny if you need them. If you don’t then it’s over $600 that could be spent elsewhere.

Quick Reply: Factory short block