Sponsored by:

About to buy first Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2023, 08:10 PM
the_wolperting
AutoX

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default About to buy first Porsche

Joined this forum looking for some help. About to buy my first Porsche, obvi has to be a 911. Was looking at 997s for a while, but for whatever reason they didn’t excite me THAT much (except the turbo of course, which is out of budget). The 996 has always attracted so much rancor as you all know, but I’m now really drawn to the styling. Blah blah anyway. I’m looking at an ‘02 C4S. How do I vet the car? What tests do I need to get done? Plz help me not **** this up.
Old 01-28-2023, 09:24 PM
FatherO2
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

Pre purchase inspection by a reputable Indy or a local Porsche dealer would be my recommendation to you as a first step.

The following 6 users liked this post by FatherO2:
Breakthru (01-29-2023), Coolwnc (02-01-2023), Device2 (01-31-2023), Flyfishnick (01-29-2023), Lady Silver (01-28-2023), mrhebert (01-28-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-28-2023, 09:50 PM
the_wolperting
AutoX

Originally Posted by FatherO2
Pre purchase inspection by a reputable Indy or a local Porsche dealer would be my recommendation to you as a first step.
Thanks for the reply! Do you think I need more than a basic PPI? What are the big issues to look for in this car?
Old 01-28-2023, 11:57 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,483 Likes on 2,010 Posts

Good time to buy one.

Here is what you want to consider doing.

1. Get the service records. It's like a medical history. It will tell you how many oil changes, issues, procedures and parts have been replaced and when. No service records, run from the car.
2. Assuming you have the service history and it's a good one, you next want to get the car in at a damn good Porsche specific indy to get a PPI done. While in the shop have them do the following as well.
(2a) get a sample of the oil and send it in for testing.
(2b) have them drop the oil sump to look for debris.
(2c) While the sump is dropped have the bores scoped from the sump to see if you have any bore scoring. Make sure its done from the sump amd not the sperk plug holes.
(2d) lastly, have them remove the oil filter and check it for debris.

As you can see, the analysis will cost you for the PPI and oil/sump/bore analysis, but it will be worth it to know you got a good one.

However, I wouldn't spend a penny on any car if there are not any service records. It means that the previous owner or owners didn't take care of it. Don't waste your time.

When you find one with service records that you have an interest in, let us know what service and procedures have been done to it over its life and we can weigh in on what you will need to do for parts replacement and service, as well as what it will cost you.

Last edited by GC996; 01-29-2023 at 12:00 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by GC996:
Gary12000 (01-30-2023), Nein96 (01-31-2023), TheChunkNorris (01-29-2023), TurboSauce (01-31-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 03:04 AM
the_wolperting
AutoX

Originally Posted by GC996
Good time to buy one.

Here is what you want to consider doing.

1. Get the service records. It's like a medical history. It will tell you how many oil changes, issues, procedures and parts have been replaced and when. No service records, run from the car.
2. Assuming you have the service history and it's a good one, you next want to get the car in at a damn good Porsche specific indy to get a PPI done. While in the shop have them do the following as well.
(2a) get a sample of the oil and send it in for testing.
(2b) have them drop the oil sump to look for debris.
(2c) While the sump is dropped have the bores scoped from the sump to see if you have any bore scoring. Make sure its done from the sump amd not the sperk plug holes.
(2d) lastly, have them remove the oil filter and check it for debris.

As you can see, the analysis will cost you for the PPI and oil/sump/bore analysis, but it will be worth it to know you got a good one.

However, I wouldn't spend a penny on any car if there are not any service records. It means that the previous owner or owners didn't take care of it. Don't waste your time.

When you find one with service records that you have an interest in, let us know what service and procedures have been done to it over its life and we can weigh in on what you will need to do for parts replacement and service, as well as what it will cost you.
That is super detailed and incredibly helpful, I really appreciate it! Here is the car I’m looking at:

https://www.luxsport.com/2004-porsch...a-4s-c-939.htm

Im going to email them tmrw and ask for service records. Will update this thread when I get them!
The following 2 users liked this post by the_wolperting:
GC996 (01-29-2023), Sajan (03-09-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 04:35 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 1,856 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by the_wolperting
That is super detailed and incredibly helpful, I really appreciate it! Here is the car I’m looking at:

https://www.luxsport.com/2004-porsch...a-4s-c-939.htm

Im going to email them tmrw and ask for service records. Will update this thread when I get them!
That is a beautiful car, hope the PPI is clean and you take it home. White is an uncommon color to see a 996 in.
Old 01-29-2023, 06:43 AM
PorkyStr
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default About to buy first Porsche

I bought my first Porsche two years ago - silver C4 convertible from a local lady who had owned it for ten years and had the local garage change the oil and do an annual MOT and that was it. It has the same miles as the one you are looking at but is a 1999 model. I had no knowledge when I bought it of the significance of the year and had no idea what an IMS bearing was or an RMS.

I absolutely love the car as does my wife who hated the TVR Chimaera 500 that it replaced. It does look as though you have a full set of service records available but to be honest I am not sure these will give you much protection against an IMS bearing failure. It is definitely a version I covert and I think the colour suits it. One word of warning- check how old the tyres are. Twenty year old cars with low miles tend to be garage princesses. Mine had lots of tread on the tyres but were 8 years old and very hard. Replacing them made a big difference.
Old 01-29-2023, 06:49 AM
RWPinNC
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 62 Posts

Beautiful car!
At 55k, it is premium priced. But low mileage, one-owner, and essentially full service records at a Porsche dealer are worth a lot. Service items are a factor of age as well as mileage. Should have had.....

Regular oil changes
Plugs
Air and cabin filters
Brake flush
Serpentine belt
Maybe brakes. If not, they will be in the future
Recent tires (at this price)

Also IMS bearing may have been updated.

If prev owner followed dealer recommendations, they should have done this work.

Last edited by RWPinNC; 01-30-2023 at 03:56 AM.
Old 01-29-2023, 08:37 AM
Breakthru
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 122 Posts

Don't see a lot of white 996 C4S, especially with low mileage. Good luck, I hope it works out for ya.
The following users liked this post:
TheChunkNorris (01-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 06:00 PM
monsoon725
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

What a beautiful car. I hope it all checks out.

At that price, the IMS should be replaced if not already.

If the bores are ok from the bottom, there's really not much else I personally would be concerned about.

You are not likely to find many white 4s out there.
Old 01-30-2023, 01:22 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

55k!!! I would think that for another 3-5k you could get an excellent example of a 996TT for that kind of money.
The following 3 users liked this post by RngTrtl:
brontosaurus (02-01-2023), SSDVC (01-31-2023), wdb (01-30-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 05:18 PM
Gary12000
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

I have to agree with last post, you might could get into a 996 Turbo for not much more money, although it likely would not be white or have low miles like that, however as your 996 ownership knowledge expands you may well hear the word
Metzger engine, which is considered by most to be bullet proof, that engine is in the Turbo and the GT cars of that era, TBH you could likely get into a 996 that's very good for 10-15k less than that asking price, i would suggest that your use for the new car will make a difference, if you want something to bring to local car shows and just weekend it and keep mostly pristine then that car may be your car, if you want to rack up some miles do some track or HPDE days then something with a few more miles might make sense to you...

I picked up a 2000 model year Aerokit car sub 40k during covid, with 74,000 miles and a full service history with all the heavy maintenance and the IMS, RMS and clutch done, if i was shopping at 55k i would go Turbo even if its got a few more miles. i would likely even do a Tiptronic 996.2 as the later Tip has apparently better shifting.

Good Luck with the search.

Old 01-30-2023, 05:26 PM
Gary12000
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

one thing i noticed on the carfax for that car, it was sold in New York, so a Northern Car likely used in winter as its a C4S you would have to wonder about corrosion underneath, not necessarily the chassis but that would also be a concern, but any piece of metal thats exposed underneath to the elements, even muffler nuts and bolts, head studs on the exhaust manifolds, all the coolant clamps have likely been exposed to the elements, it is possible that the one owner was very6 fastidious and had the underneath of the car washed after each winter drive, and or garaged the car all winter, but at 44k miles only in summer use would be unlikely.

just food for thought..
Old 01-31-2023, 12:28 AM
duuder
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

they're asking slightly below turbo money for that car! appears to be sold so you can keep looking - i bought my first 2002 911 for 32k w/ 18kmi in 08/09, market is softening now so you should find healthy deals. GL
Old 01-31-2023, 08:44 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,483 Likes on 2,010 Posts

@the_wolperting there are plenty more 996 C4S' for sale. Get involved with your local PCA region and start going to events and talk it up with members about what you are looking for. Stop in at the local dealer and talk to the sales and service guys. Keep in the back of your mind that the service guys know more than the sales guys about the people and cars they service. Same can be said for the local Porsche Indys. Life is a networking exercise. You may be surprised what you come up with. Most importantly, it will be easier to ascertain the service history of the car quickly.

Quick Reply: About to buy first Porsche