Sponsored by:

New member reality check

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2023, 09:55 AM
365jon
AutoX

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Don't kid yourself, driving ANY Porsche "daily" will not be cheap...( unless you can do all the work/troubleshooting yourself)

Air-Cooled cars are expensive to buy, and very costly to "Daily" drive. Most don't get driven except to a show or C&C. Just about anytime one goes on a "Dive" they have to peal off early due to problems are have to be towed home, or are hell to start after a hot soak...You just don't see them going on "nice drives".

Boxsters and Caymans are an option if you are under 6ft tall..but if you are 6ft and over the 911 is what you need..

Turbo Tip 996 is best deal going if you don't "need to row the gears" ,, but if you need to row the gears to enjoy the drive the Carrera 996 is the one you want..
To all that have provided the great input, I really appreciate the insight. @Porschetech3 My current daily is a Volvo XC90 w/ the (Yamaha designed) V8. Its the "Executive" edition, fully loaded and that V8 is great engine. Interestingly the first versions of the V8 suffered from a bearing failure on the balance shaft. The cure for the early versions was to drill a hole to allow oil circulation as they came with sealed bearings (ala some of IMS solutions). Volvo incorporated oil circulation in the later designes and they were mostly trouble free but it is expensive to repair. Parts can be pricy and access to the engine is just impossible. I have 79k trouble free miles. But, I will be selling the Volvo and replacing it with a 911. The XC90 shares daily duties with my Suburban. but..... My Suburban has the 5.3 Vortec sitting at 175k, super reliable and inexpensive to maintain. I have no plans to sell her and budgeting for a "makeover" w. new paint and some interior freshing. My wife's car is a 2005 Mercedes CLK500 Cabriolet. She loves that car, actually I do too. It was my first venture into Mercedes and I have to say it's been extremely reliable and (so far) pretty easy to work on. Lastly I have a MasterCraft inboard ski boat w/ a Ford 351w HO. Holley 4bbl, upgraded to electronic ignition but otherwise its as basic and bullet-proof as you can get IMO. SBC guys might argue but thats ok haha. I was lucky to be raised by a father who could rebuild everything from a Lycoming aircraft engine to helping me pull the engine from my MGB when I was 18 and doing a total rebuild.
So, I guess I'm looking for a "part time daily driver" that will share duties with my Suburban, will see regular use but probably less than 10K miles/year. I work remote from home and when I travel for work, I rent a car of fly. So I don't have a work commute to deal with. I have a roll cab full of tools, a welder, scan tools - but I'm getting too old to enjoy rolling around on the floor wrestling heavy, oily parts off an engine and too cheap to pay someone so most all of the 996 upkeep is on me. Reliability is important and the reason I've gravitated towards the 996 with an understanding there might be some sorting out needed but once sorted will be solid.
This is an amazing community of 996 supporters, thanks again!
The following users liked this post:
Porschetech3 (02-27-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 11:43 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,483 Likes on 2,010 Posts

Originally Posted by 365jon
Reliability is important and the reason I've gravitated towards the 996 with an understanding there might be some sorting out needed but once sorted will be solid.
From your different posts it sounds like you are approaching 996 ownership from a good perspective. I am a 21 year 996.2 owner that would do it all over again. Just an all around incredible car.

You know the routine, you gotta buy one that has been properly serviced with all of the right parts replaced when they should have been replaced. You get this info from the service history. IMSB, water pump, aos, etc. You also want to make sure the bores are in good shape.

No reason it's can't be a daily driver. The key is to make sure the you understand that its a 20+ year old car with plastic, rubber and metal bits that wear over time. So the more time and money you spend on refreshing the car up front, the more bullet proof it will be as a dd.

Good luck with finding the right one. Its out there.
The following 2 users liked this post by GC996:
Dr_Strangelove (02-27-2023), imhighlander (02-28-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 01:44 PM
Elihu Smails
4th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll give you my perspective as a first time Porsche owner who bought a 996 five months ago. Like you, I was considering an air-cooled model, as well as a Cayman. I ended up going with the 996 because the value was just too good to pass up.

I might have spent more money if the discount for the 996 hadn't been as much as it was, but I just felt like the value was so outrageously good I had to go that route. I don't regret it for a second. I absolutely love the car, and have been able to put some of the remaining funds back into it by doing preventative maintenance earlier and will be making some cosmetic/utility updates that I otherwise probably wouldn't have (wheels refurbishment, paint correction, PPF, PCCM install, etc). I don't think you can go wrong with either route, but these are the reasons I went the way I did. Good luck!
F. Thumb (02-28-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 02:23 PM
pulpo
Pro

Received 368 Likes on 211 Posts

if you're into "the culture", the brand, and "car-spotting", or more importantly being "spotted". if you aspire to have a large following on instagram and you want to turn heads on your sunday cruise... Nothing beats an air cooled.

If you are looking for the best possible driving car, dollar for dollar, go with the 996.

Last edited by pulpo; 02-27-2023 at 02:25 PM.
igrip (02-28-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 03:40 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

Ive owned both the n/a and the turbo 996. Save up some more coin for turbo.
brontosaurus (03-02-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 05:39 PM
Breakthru
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 122 Posts

The OP's rationale for the 996 is that it's lower in price, especially compared to air cooled. A clean 996 turbo, you're looking at $65k, $70k easy these days (those days for finding them under $40k are long gone).

Originally Posted by RngTrtl
Ive owned both the n/a and the turbo 996. Save up some more coin for turbo.
Old 02-27-2023, 06:09 PM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,120 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by Breakthru
The OP's rationale for the 996 is that it's lower in price, especially compared to air cooled. A clean 996 turbo, you're looking at $65k, $70k easy these days (those days for finding them under $40k are long gone).
True, but once the M96 tax is paid you're nearly there.
Old 02-27-2023, 07:06 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Breakthru
I agree that it is cheaper in the beginning, but OP factored in a 30k rebuild. thats puts them squarely in the 65k range all in. You might as well just buy the turbo and have a better car to begin with.
The following 2 users liked this post by RngTrtl:
brontosaurus (03-02-2023), Marv (02-28-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 07:28 PM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 395 Likes on 293 Posts

I owned and daily drove a 69 911T, most reliable low maintenance car I ever owned including a 85 Toyota Truck.

Tuneup was a 30 minute job in my garage, Mine had Cast Iron cylinders. It was a energizer bunny of a car.
I miss the full on go-kart feel and the sound of 6 webber butterflies opening...

It was not as fast off the line as almost any modern car but in the turns the bugger was amazing.
Symmetric tires and wheels all the way around and I did 16 hour non stops in the thing multiple times..
It just fit me. Mine had a 5 speed touring transmission so it was happy at about 100 without a break..

My 996 is a beast compared to it. The 69 was better in the snow!
wdb (02-28-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 07:56 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Call it what it is.

The air cooled provides a different experience both driving and ownership. No need to provide details. Everyone here knows what I mean. Overall drivability (not necessarily driving experience), the 996 beats out any factory air cooled including most turbos. Faster, quieter, working heat and AC.

I bought a 996 because I missed the air cooled boat and the air cooled just got super expensive. In 2013 I should have bought the air cooled white on white turbo for $45K lol.

I chose the 996 vs later models because in my mind, it is the closest to an air cooled: smaller than 997/991/992. No wing (I don't like permanent whale tails).

Very Happy So Far and would not go air cooled at this point (unless it is a bug or ghia which may happen soon).
Old 02-27-2023, 08:03 PM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 395 Likes on 293 Posts

Oh yea,, My 69 didn't have air, had a better stereo, it was like Harley, a little loud, a little primitive but in some instances it was just too dang fun.
Heck It took < 30 minutes drop the motor.. In a lo too ways it was a bug with way better handling..
Old 02-27-2023, 08:41 PM
bgoetz
Burning Brakes

Received 387 Likes on 216 Posts

You might as well just buy the turbo and have a better car to begin with.
I think that is an opinion. Personally, having driven quite a few different 911 years/variants and sat right seat in even more, both on and off the track, I have no interest in a forced induction AWD car. I don’t like the power delivery and dislike the AWD even more. Just not what I want in a sports car. I would 100% take a well built 4.0 over a turbo any day at the exact same price point.

Last edited by bgoetz; 02-27-2023 at 08:43 PM.
TexSquirrel (02-28-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 09:35 PM
TT Oversteer
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I currently own a 2002 996 Carrera Tiptronic as a daily driver. I also have a ‘01 996 Turbo, 88 Carrera, ‘77 911S and two cayennes. Of all these cars the ‘05 Cayenne is the best daily if fuel consumption is not an issue for you. It's the most comfortable, practical, hauls and tows, and was cheapest to buy used. As the 911’s go, the 996 Carrera is best as a daily. The 996 Turbo and both air cooled’s are an event to drive. While fun, the air cooled are not practical, comfortable or inexpensive to own. I also worry about parking or leaving them anywhere. A/C is nonexistent on the air cooled cars. The problem I have with the 996 Carrera is that, while relatively cheap to buy, they are very expensive to rebuild. And they will all need IMS/AOS/bore scoring rebuild, etc, etc. So if you buy an M96 you will pay the “M96 Tax” someone referred to above. Based on your posts I’d recommend selling the Volvo and Suburban and get a Cayenne Turbo. If you must daily a sports car (I do) then get a 996 that’s been properly maintained and retrofitted/rebuilt or get a 996 Turbo. Skip the air cooled unless you want a toy.
Old 02-27-2023, 11:11 PM
Breakthru
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 122 Posts

True. If you want power, and you're willing to drop the extra 30k on an aftermarket rebuild, I would probably go turbo as well. That's assuming you like forced induction, which isn't for everyone.

I agree that it is cheaper in the beginning, but OP factored in a 30k rebuild. thats puts them squarely in the 65k range all in. You might as well just buy the turbo and have a better car to begin with.
EVOMMM (02-28-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 11:21 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,483 Likes on 2,010 Posts

Yep, turbo is a great car, but it will cost a boat load of money as well to keep running. Every Porsche costs money. My vote is on a narrow body 996. But you get what you want. It's your money.
EVOMMM (02-28-2023)

Quick Reply: New member reality check