Sponsored by:

PCCM+ Installer

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2023, 10:54 AM
PUZZ1
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 29 Posts
Default PCCM+ Installer

So I'm strongly considering having a PCCM + installed in my C4S. My first inquiry was to my local dealer. Surprisingly they have yet to install one of these units other than the single DIN unit for the air cooled cars. The first advisor I spoke with didn't even know what I was talking about and while the senior guy knew, he said they've never done it and the units were likely back ordered. So, that experience has given me pause on having them do it. Has anyone just gone to a car audio shop to have this done? I know many have done this DIY but I don't have the expertise or the time to figure it out.
Old 03-05-2023, 11:21 AM
Tangerine Dream
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Porsche OKC installed mine. The only issue was not having a certain bracket available to replace the cd holder for an empty bin.

For the moment it’s a love/hate relationship. Sometimes it works. Sometimes not. Porsche says they’re working on it.

Old 03-05-2023, 12:45 PM
Kcnj
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same question, Bay Area California

I'm also looking to get the PCCM installed in my 986 boxster. I reached out to local car audio installer who's highly recommended by the Porsche community here. I'll let you know what they say.
Would be great to hear if others have had dealer installs and how that went. Also what they're charging.
Old 03-05-2023, 01:13 PM
PUZZ1
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 29 Posts

Tangerine, where did they locate the USB box on your install? I'd love to locate mine in the glove box when the time comes but I fear that a dealer will only put in the Porsche-approved location which I don't like - where your CD holder is located above the HVAC.
Old 03-05-2023, 02:07 PM
keviha
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by PUZZ1
So I'm strongly considering having a PCCM + installed in my C4S. My first inquiry was to my local dealer. Surprisingly they have yet to install one of these units other than the single DIN unit for the air cooled cars. The first advisor I spoke with didn't even know what I was talking about and while the senior guy knew, he said they've never done it and the units were likely back ordered. So, that experience has given me pause on having them do it. Has anyone just gone to a car audio shop to have this done? I know many have done this DIY but I don't have the expertise or the time to figure it out.
We're on opposite sides of the US...but I did go to a trusted independent to install PCCM+ in my 03' Targa. If there is a quality indy in your area and you have all of the necessary parts there is no reason they couldn't install. As you'll see if you do some research on this board, there are differences in the install experience depending on year of car, MOST vs Non-MOST, Bose vs non-Bose, etc. It appears those who've installed in MOST based systems have done pretty well from a plug in play perspective. I've attached a PDF of the install guide which is helpful in determining which parts you'll need to order for your car (besides PCCM+) and could be helpful to the indy as a reference as part of the install process.

In my case, I had local indy install the USB hub in the lower console batwing which I think is closest to an OEM look if the PCCM+ had been available back in the day. Of course, it's all matter of preference with others installing in standard location (cubby) or in the glove box or others using third party wireless adapter.

Good luck!
Attached Images

Last edited by keviha; 03-05-2023 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-05-2023, 03:42 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

Curious, where did you purchase your bat wing?
Old 03-05-2023, 04:41 PM
keviha
Instructor

Originally Posted by mffarrell
Curious, where did you purchase your bat wing?
I purchased a new OEM batwing from Porsche vendor that the audio shop modified (at an additional cost) to fit the USB hub.

Last edited by keviha; 03-05-2023 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-05-2023, 05:02 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2023, 06:42 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

As much as I love the idea of the PCCM+ I just cant get on board for the amount that Porsche wants for it. They want way too much money for something that is not perfect.
Old 03-05-2023, 07:40 PM
Tangerine Dream
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by PUZZ1
Tangerine, where did they locate the USB box on your install? I'd love to locate mine in the glove box when the time comes but I fear that a dealer will only put in the Porsche-approved location which I don't like - where your CD holder is located above the HVAC.
They asked where, and I said glove box.

The following users liked this post:
saveferris199 (03-07-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 04:00 AM
Kcnj
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by keviha
We're on opposite sides of the US...but I did go to a trusted independent to install PCCM+ in my 03' Targa. If there is a quality indy in your area and you have all of the necessary parts there is no reason they couldn't install. As you'll see if you do some research on this board, there are differences in the install experience depending on year of car, MOST vs Non-MOST, Bose vs non-Bose, etc. It appears those who've installed in MOST based systems have done pretty well from a plug in play perspective. I've attached a PDF of the install guide which is helpful in determining which parts you'll need to order for your car (besides PCCM+) and could be helpful to the indy as a reference as part of the install process.

In my case, I had local indy install the USB hub in the lower console batwing which I think is closest to an OEM look if the PCCM+ had been available back in the day. Of course, it's all matter of preference with others installing in standard location (cubby) or in the glove box or others using third party wireless adapter.

Good luck!
Where did you go in Sacramento? I am in the bay area and would be willing to drive up there for a good installation.

Thanks,
​​​​​​
Old 03-07-2023, 11:07 AM
keviha
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kcnj
Where did you go in Sacramento? I am in the bay area and would be willing to drive up there for a good installation.

Thanks,
​​​​​​
I went to Car Audio Innovations (CAI) in Roseville. They're well known in the Porsche (and 996 specific) world for their product support and exceptional service. The owner Rod is a great guy. They did an excellent job on the install and their craftsmanship on modifying the bat wing to attach the PCCM+ USB hub was fantastic.

https://www.caraudioinnovations.com/

Last edited by keviha; 03-07-2023 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-07-2023, 11:55 AM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

I love the look of the PCCM in the 996. I think that Porsche continues to support past models is quite unique, especially for things like a radio. That being said, I don't think I would ever to the PCCM:

1. Seems to have some bugs related to integration.
2. One of the reasons I didn't buy a 997 was because the radio/nav was already outdated when the car was new and just fugly. I think the PCCM may go that way in 10 years, whereas the classic Becker CDR22/23 will still look good being stock.
3. I think the USB hub portion of PCCM is just dumb. With all the work towards integration, it just looks like a cheap bolt on. Why not include it in the radio or I think the batwing mounting makes way more sense. A bit of a mis step IMHO.
4. I spent lot of $$$ to get the top of the line stock sound system in my jeep. Sounds great...After 7 years and using Waze, the NAV portion is useless. Suspect this will become the case with PCCM - see point 5.
5. How will future compatibility work for new iphones, android etc. be handled? Haven't seen any comments on that - What is the EOL (end of life) for PCCM?

Quick Reply: PCCM+ Installer