996 Power Mods - Recs Please

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2023, 11:51 AM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 672 Likes on 467 Posts
Smile I Own both

Originally Posted by GC996
I disagree. I love the turbo, but I want a lighter, better handling narrow body that is naturally aspirated. A rebuild someday in the future makes more sense for my purposes. There is a lid for every pot.
I get it, that's why I didn't sold my early coupe after I got the turbo. the coupe is as light as it can be, everything from the factory works. it runs like a charm no oil consumption, maybe it was rebuilt before I got it, when the time comes I'll get a bigger engine but unless it's a bargain I'm not buying the fsi engine. The two cars are completely different driving experiences and I love both.
The following users liked this post:
GC996 (03-11-2023)
Old 03-10-2023, 11:55 AM
BRS-LN
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 365 Likes on 149 Posts

The whole scheme is to make as much money as possible.
Incorrect. The "whole scheme" is to achieve a positive result, using a proven process. If the "whole scheme" was to make as much money as possible, FSI engines would be sold to anyone with a checkbook, to be installed by anyone with a toolbox, and no standards would be required. This is exactly the opposite of the FSI/ LN program, and will never occur.
Old 03-10-2023, 12:11 PM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default one certified shop

Originally Posted by BRS-LN
Incorrect. The "whole scheme" is to achieve a positive result, using a proven process. If the "whole scheme" was to make as much money as possible, FSI engines would be sold to anyone with a checkbook, to be installed by anyone with a toolbox, and no standards would be required. This is exactly the opposite of the FSI/ LN program, and will never occur.
The whole scheme of one installer is flawed, If you sell me the engine, with the built photos, the dyno graph, etc, why are you telling me where to go have it install. In the Houston Metroplex Area good certified porsche mechanics can charge anywhere from $225/hr labor, to as low as $100/hr. in addition if the mechanic has done the job over and over and its good at it, he will not charge you book time, so i think you could modify your strategy and make the customer sign an affidavit if he wants the engine somewhere else other than their state certified shop. Read what happened to me at Valvoline Instant Oil change when I took my turbo there for an engine oil change. Yes I'm fighting them in small claims courts. Believe me I know where I can take my cars to. That fiasco costed me $5300 plus 3 months without the car. Using my shop is because I have already existing relationships with some shops and I know where I feel good leaving my car overnight, plus I want to manage the overall cost of the project. Sorry I didn't retire at 45 by being wreck less or loose with my money, this is not be meant as a personal attack.
Old 03-10-2023, 12:43 PM
philbert996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,063 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by 3/98 911 coupe
Read what happened to me at Valvoline Instant Oil change when I took my turbo there for an engine oil change.
With all due respect, I wouldn’t allow someone who would take a 911 Turbo to a quick oil change place choosing the shop to install an engine.

dporto (03-16-2023)
Old 03-10-2023, 01:05 PM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default My thinking

Originally Posted by philbert996
With all due respect, I wouldn’t allow someone who would take a 911 Turbo to a quick oil change place choosing the shop to install an engine.
1. Ex employee 2. 1.5 miles from my house. 3. I used to own $100000 worth of stock. 4. My own oil and filter, oil premeasured. 5. Just an oil change, little did I know about that possible mistake for the transmission. I knew where to drain the oil and offered to show the manager, he looked in the computer and went downstairs saying he got it. Anyway, the transmission was opened, fixed by the shop that I would probably used to do an engine install or rebuilt. I just own the stocks of products and services I use. Yes I started in batches selling my Valvoline stock as now they are not going to be anything more than a jiffy lube. Haven’t sold all because Valvoline just got 2.4 billion dollars and they are going to use most to buy back their stock in the next 18 months, so I’ll sell at certain set prices. Finally for gods sake this company paid me to teach all over the world about lubricants, specs, proper maintenance procedures, what a fckng irony.

Last edited by 3/98 911 coupe; 03-10-2023 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-10-2023, 05:39 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,077 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Mike111
Is this to prevent bore scoring? Sorry if these are dumb questions
Once you have determined that you don't have any scoring through bore scoping and/or used oil analysis, there are quite a few things that can be done to help reduce the likelihood of scoring, which I have outlined here:

https://lnengineering.com/products/w...e-scoring.html
The following 2 users liked this post by Charles Navarro:
dporto (03-16-2023), GC996 (03-11-2023)
Old 03-10-2023, 05:52 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,077 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by BRS-LN
I'll add to this that back when we were supplying engines through SSF Auto Parts with the RND program, the only time we had any problem was when people would spend money on an engine and then would cut corners with the installations like installing crap AOSs and used oil coolers (which required us to change the program to include these items), bad dual mass flywheels, or bad injectors, just to give a few examples. Sometimes the shops didn't know any better but other times they were just trying to keep the bill down to get the customer in the door and not lose the job.

The way the new program is set up is using shops that Jake has worked with in the past to do installs of his engines. These shops won't cut corners and know they have to follow the directives provided by Jake which includes a thorough list of the components that must be replaced during the installation process, among other action items. This is all laid out up front so there are no surprises.
Porschetech3 (03-10-2023)
Old 03-10-2023, 08:46 PM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,120 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Mike111
Thanks, yeah very familiar with the minimal gains from these n/a engine. More just asking if there's any decent headers w/ good fitment that people would recommend and any reputable tunes.

I know I won't see 100hp gains, but just looking for quality parts that won't break the bank. I'm coming from a long line of M3's so still learning the landscape w/ P cars. All I'll be doing is letting the car breath better and possibly a tune, so curious on recommendations for those items.

Cheers
What sort of gains were you seeing with M3's? Be honest. I had a Z4MC with the S54 and the fact is that the BMW engineers didn't leave much on the table. Every extra HP had dollar signs, and most of them had tradeoffs. The M96 is a much more tightly packaged lump, in a car that had already been developed for 50 years. There are very few ways to bolt on anything that really matters besides sound.
Old 03-13-2023, 04:39 PM
Mr.Mike111
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wdb
What sort of gains were you seeing with M3's? Be honest. I had a Z4MC with the S54 and the fact is that the BMW engineers didn't leave much on the table. Every extra HP had dollar signs, and most of them had tradeoffs. The M96 is a much more tightly packaged lump, in a car that had already been developed for 50 years. There are very few ways to bolt on anything that really matters besides sound.
In my E46 I'd say I was probably making 370 at the crank? That was w/ Eventuri Intake, Catless headers, ESS Tune. I also had recaro's and switched the comp wheels to 18'' arc8's, so ditched a lot of weight there. The remainder of the build if I were to keep the car would've been carbon roof, 3.91 diff and cams.

Between all those items being making power, putting down the power better and simply removing weight, the car could move pretty well.

I don't see those sort of opportunities with the M96. This is by no means me thinking negatively of the platform, just trying to learn more and see if there's much left on the table. Which I'm finding, there isn't really haha
Old 03-13-2023, 04:40 PM
Mr.Mike111
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wdb
In my E46 I'd say I was probably making 370 at the crank? That was w/ Eventuri Intake, Catless headers, ESS Tune. I also had recaro's and switched the comp wheels to 18'' arc8's, so ditched a lot of weight there. The remainder of the build if I were to keep the car would've been carbon roof, 3.91 diff and cams.

Between all those items being making power, putting down the power better and simply removing weight, the car could move pretty well.

I don't see those sort of opportunities with the M96. This is by no means me thinking negatively of the platform, just trying to learn more and see if there's much left on the table. Which I'm finding, there isn't really haha
Old 03-13-2023, 05:03 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

Read what happened to me at Valvoline Instant Oil change when I took my turbo there for an engine oil change. Yes I'm fighting them in small claims courts. Believe me I know where I can take my cars to.

lol. apparently not. good grief.
dporto (03-16-2023)
Old 03-13-2023, 05:12 PM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 395 Likes on 293 Posts

If they were mechanics, they would be making more money than at a quick change oil place.

I could almost go there but I could never get any of them to JUST CHANGE THE OIL and do not touch anything else..
When I almost tossed one of them down into the pit I decided it wasn't worth it.. After they pulled the drain on my transmission.
They thought the oil was "too dirty to run" not knowing it was a special industrial oil I was running to keep the bearings alive with the HP I was running.

Then one FILLEd my engine with oil. IE almost 5 gallons.. till it ran out the filler hole.

Old 03-13-2023, 05:18 PM
fireman
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Mods-make your car louder and less powerful

I think it has been fairly well established that bolt on mods do almost nothing, if not lower output while lightening your wallet. Hey perhaps that's where the performance gains come from.
if you have PASM, get a DSC controller. Better ride and performance.
Real HP gains, bore it out to 4.0 liters and have Len Hoffman port and polish your heads:

Old 03-13-2023, 05:35 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,277 Likes on 1,807 Posts

Rebuilding the motor for power is dumber, a lot dumber than bolt ons.

Look at the dyno graph thread and start doing some $/HP.
brontosaurus (03-13-2023)
Old 03-13-2023, 05:37 PM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default Don’t buy the products

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
If they were mechanics, they would be making more money than at a quick change oil place.

I could almost go there but I could never get any of them to JUST CHANGE THE OIL and do not touch anything else..
When I almost tossed one of them down into the pit I decided it wasn't worth it.. After they pulled the drain on my transmission.
They thought the oil was "too dirty to run" not knowing it was a special industrial oil I was running to keep the bearings alive with the HP I was running.

Then one FILLEd my engine with oil. IE almost 5 gallons.. till it ran out the filler hole.
buy anything but.

Quick Reply: 996 Power Mods - Recs Please