996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

2000 996 engine failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2023, 11:50 PM
168glhs1986
Rennlist Member

Received 1,413 Likes on 677 Posts

This is a good place to start your search. Independent Porsche Repair | Repair Shops Specializing in Porsche | PCarShops

Also join PCA fast and talk to local chapter members / president etc. They know where to go.

DO NOT rush this process. Take your time, talk to everyone and then some. Your next move is the critical one.

Last edited by 168glhs1986; 03-09-2023 at 11:55 PM.
Old 03-10-2023, 12:22 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,526 Likes on 2,031 Posts

Here you go. The website for the PCA Bluegrass Region. Think this covers Lexington. You will probably find reference to local Indys.

https://bgs.pca.org/

You may also want to pay attention to the decision tree outlined by @Porschetech3 . He is a retired Porsche Tech.

Last edited by GC996; 03-10-2023 at 12:25 AM.
Old 03-10-2023, 09:48 AM
Swbink02
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Gonna call around today and see what I can find out. Thank you!!
Old 03-10-2023, 11:28 AM
BRS-LN
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 365 Likes on 149 Posts

Wow.. For way less than that you could have a 3.8L Stage II FSI/ LN engine with every option, and over 400HP with Certified Installation with a lot of money to spare.

That said, at 52K this is likely a very simple repair. Contact the guys at Atlanta Speedwerks. They have leased out the installation/ repair facility at FSI and they are now performing these repairs, since FSI abandoned repair work with the new program. Jake has been working to get them fully Certified as a repair facility, as well as an installation facility, and their employees have attended all the Raby/ Callas hands on classes.
Jake has been offering them pointers along the way, and I'd say that he's seen more intermixed 996s with cracked heads than anyone in North America. You have some good options available that would not require engine replacement, or a 64K expenditure.
The following 2 users liked this post by BRS-LN:
Formerly996fried (03-10-2023), GC996 (03-10-2023)
Old 03-10-2023, 02:24 PM
Swbink02
Rennlist Member

Looks total intermixing throughout the engine. I got these pictures about 10 mins ago. Christian said he took a borescope through the engine and did not see any cracks.

Old 03-10-2023, 02:32 PM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 395 Likes on 293 Posts

FWIW, on my engine, the cracks were not visible with a bore scope, they are too fine and too close to the head.
Until the heads were off you could not see and once you did it was time for Nickies..
Old 03-10-2023, 02:41 PM
brontosaurus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by BRS-LN
Wow.. For way less than that you could have a 3.8L Stage II FSI/ LN engine with every option, and over 400HP with Certified Installation with a lot of money to spare.

That said, at 52K this is likely a very simple repair. Contact the guys at Atlanta Speedwerks. They have leased out the installation/ repair facility at FSI and they are now performing these repairs, since FSI abandoned repair work with the new program. Jake has been working to get them fully Certified as a repair facility, as well as an installation facility, and their employees have attended all the Raby/ Callas hands on classes.
Jake has been offering them pointers along the way, and I'd say that he's seen more intermixed 996s with cracked heads than anyone in North America. You have some good options available that would not require engine replacement, or a 64K expenditure.
Way less than $22k? Do tell.
Old 03-10-2023, 03:39 PM
Swbink02
Rennlist Member

Technician used to have his own independent shop for several years that sent me the pictures. Sold his shop to a larger shop and has been working there for the last few months. His experience is that he sees more crack cylinders than heads. For what that’s worth. Again, I am a novice, and this is my first experience with any of this. I am thinking I am going to look into getting a second opinion. That would require having the vehicle shipped somewhere but I am happy to pay the transport charges, and a small fee for him Valuation before spending $20,000. Honest question for the group. If I am looking at making the vehicle drivable again and then selling it, but selling it knowing that the next person is not getting a lemon, how would y’all proceed? Not looking at powning this problem off on someone else. Wanna make the vehicle right but will probably look to sell it.
Edit
Old 03-10-2023, 03:55 PM
hbdunn
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 378 Posts

I would think a real possibility may be selling it as is. Even getting it running the best you could hope for is maybe what you paid for it. If you got it for a really good price then maybe.
Old 03-10-2023, 05:46 PM
Swbink02
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hbdunn
I would think a real possibility may be selling it as is. Even getting it running the best you could hope for is maybe what you paid for it. If you got it for a really good price then maybe.
what could I reasonably expect for a 2000 911 with 52K miles, 1 owner before me, garage kept, all service records and has only seen rain once in its existence? Interior is in great condition and very very minimal rust??
Old 03-10-2023, 06:10 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,092 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by brontosaurus
Way less than $22k? Do tell.
If this was simply a cracked head, the repair should be significantly less, even if you have to factor in a new replacement head. That said, like Skip mentioned, if there is coolant in the crankcase (which there is now evidenced by the photos posted after our tech's reply), this is likely not going to be a cheap fix.
The following users liked this post:
Porschetech3 (03-10-2023)
Old 03-10-2023, 06:26 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,092 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Swbink02
Technician used to have his own independent shop for several years that sent me the pictures. Sold his shop to a larger shop and has been working there for the last few months. His experience is that he sees more crack cylinders than heads. For what that’s worth. Again, I am a novice, and this is my first experience with any of this. I am thinking I am going to look into getting a second opinion. That would require having the vehicle shipped somewhere but I am happy to pay the transport charges, and a small fee for him Valuation before spending $20,000. Honest question for the group. If I am looking at making the vehicle drivable again and then selling it, but selling it knowing that the next person is not getting a lemon, how would y’all proceed? Not looking at powning this problem off on someone else. Wanna make the vehicle right but will probably look to sell it.
Edit
I don't know what the current value is for an 02 cab, but good condition according the Hagerty is 24k. Assuming it's more than just a cracked head, the cheapest route will be a used engine, but that's still not going to be cheap not will guarantee you won't have another failure like this. A quick look on ebay and you'll find used engines with warranties from $8-10k, but you'll want to drop the sump and scope the bores on the used engine to make sure it's good before putting it in. Also, likely the used engine will need a slew of new parts beyond just an IMS bearing like a flywheel, clutch, aos, water pump, etc. By the time you add all this up, I'm positive that you're going to be in more than if you were just to sell the car as a roller, and if your plan is to sell the car, fixing it likely isn't the right choice.

That's not to say the car isn't worth fixing. If you choose to keep the car, I wouldn't go the route of doing the used engine. You'll likely be in quite a bit more to have your existing engine rebuilt and upgraded. Many Rennlisters have been down this road and it is certainly worth spending the extra money, especially as you really don't know how long the used engine will last.

Ultimately you have to ask yourself if you love the car enough or if it makes more financial sense to sell it as is.
The following 2 users liked this post by Charles Navarro:
dporto (03-11-2023), wdb (03-10-2023)
Old 03-10-2023, 06:34 PM
Gary12000
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 85 Posts

So based on what Porschtech3 said thats a replacement motor, only you can decide if you want to replace the motor, i wouldn't put a used motor in my car, i wouldn't blame you if you sold it as is. 10k is what a roller goes for, but yours maybe more based on your description, a lot of this pricing is dependent on how desirable your car is, is it a cool color, does it have a nice interior what are the options like, sport seats? Limited slip Diff, MO30 suspension, manual or tiptronic, if the body is perfect maybe you can do better then $10k

Good Luck.

Old 03-11-2023, 01:00 AM
Swbink02
Rennlist Member

My car is black on black. I am thinking if I can get $10K or maybe a bit more as a roller then that is what I will do. Interior is near mint. Definitely doesn’t look like a 23 year old car. Appreciate everyone’s input.
Old 03-11-2023, 02:15 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Sorry to hear your story, just as you get excited about owning a unique car...

Most commonly the 3.4 (what you have) cracks heads and the 3.6 (2002+ 996 Carreras) cracks cylinders. If you could find a friendly independent, the cracked head can be fixed significantly cheaper than any of the numbers you've been quoted. I used to run a shop, and would be happy to talk to you about what happens if you like, drop me a PM. The short version is that it's still not going to be cheap but $10k+ is not necessary either, and the best course of action may still be to sell the car for parts as is.

Originally Posted by Swbink02
Edit

Quick Reply: 2000 996 engine failure