Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2023, 10:25 PM
hbdunn
Burning Brakes

Received 701 Likes on 376 Posts
Default PSA, Pelican know has same lifetime warranty as FCP

For you west coast people.
The following 3 users liked this post by hbdunn:
peterp (05-09-2023), TheChunkNorris (05-06-2023), zbomb (05-05-2023)
Old 05-05-2023, 11:03 PM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,557 Likes on 917 Posts

Nice spread the knowledge
Old 05-06-2023, 11:13 AM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 641 Likes on 400 Posts

I do a lot of business with them (into 5 figures) and I can say that their issues are not warranty of items I bought. It got to a point where I was assigned a specific salesperson for my business and he has learned my preferences now so that it is a lot better. There are still something out of his control and we both understand that life is not perfect. Sometimes we laughed at the comic events and that is better than complaining about it.

On the other hand, the lifetime warranty thing, to me, has always been a gimmick more than actual practice. Let's wait and see how this plays out.
Old 05-06-2023, 01:27 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by yelcab
I do a lot of business with them (into 5 figures) and I can say that their issues are not warranty of items I bought. It got to a point where I was assigned a specific salesperson for my business and he has learned my preferences now so that it is a lot better. There are still something out of his control and we both understand that life is not perfect. Sometimes we laughed at the comic events and that is better than complaining about it.

On the other hand, the lifetime warranty thing, to me, has always been a gimmick more than actual practice. Let's wait and see how this plays out.
The FCP lifetime warranty thing is legit. I havent paid for an oil change kit in years.
The following users liked this post:
Carlo D (05-06-2023)
Old 05-06-2023, 04:04 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,468 Likes on 629 Posts

If a lifetime warranty is important to you then by all means go with FCP Euro or Pelican, however it's not free. FCP and Pelican are almost always at least 10% higher, often 20% higher, than other suppliers such as eeuroparts.com (no affiliation but have found they are consistently the lowest cost by a wide margin). The lifetime guarantee is an extended warranty whose cost is rolled into the initial purchase price. These guys are for-profit companies after all.

If that's what you want great but there's a reason stores are always trying to sell extended warranties on everything, they have very high profit margins. People forget they have them, buy somewhere else when they need a replacement urgently, or most often the part just doesn't break. And who keeps their car for a lifetime anyways?

But it's a nice gimmick for them particularly when people promote them without mentioning the added cost. Also, most people don't shop around and realize they are paying for that guarantee.

If you want to play the game of shipping used oil across the country then yes you can absolutely can save money. But for just general auto parts FCP and Pelican are poor choices IMO as they are overpriced.
Old 05-06-2023, 04:21 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Originally Posted by PV997
If a lifetime warranty is important to you then by all means go with FCP Euro or Pelican, however it's not free. FCP and Pelican are almost always at least 10% higher, often 20% higher, than other suppliers such as eeuroparts.com (no affiliation but have found they are consistently the lowest cost by a wide margin). The lifetime guarantee is an extended warranty whose cost is rolled into the initial purchase price. These guys are for-profit companies after all.

If that's what you want great but there's a reason stores are always trying to sell extended warranties on everything, they have very high profit margins. People forget they have them, buy somewhere else when they need a replacement urgently, or most often the part just doesn't break. And who keeps their car for a lifetime anyways?

But it's a nice gimmick for them particularly when people promote them without mentioning the added cost. Also, most people don't shop around and realize they are paying for that guarantee.

If you want to play the game of shipping used oil across the country then yes you can absolutely can save money. But for just general auto parts FCP and Pelican are poor choices IMO as they are overpriced.
Im not so sure about all that at least in my experience. It costs me like 20 odd dollars to ship the used oil change stuff back and then I get a refund for a 150. Maybe its gimmicky maybe not, YMMV, but the oil change kit is a steal for sure. I would imagine it would be the same for any other consumable (clutch, brakes, fluids, etc).

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/por...oly-kit-528974

Last edited by RngTrtl; 05-06-2023 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-06-2023, 05:11 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,468 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by RngTrtl
Im not so sure about all that at least in my experience. It costs me like 20 odd dollars to ship the used oil change stuff back and then I get a refund for a 150. Maybe its gimmicky maybe not, YMMV, but the oil change kit is a steal for sure. I would imagine it would be the same for any other consumable (clutch, brakes, fluids, etc).

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/por...oly-kit-528974
Totally agree on the oil as it's a consumable so you can absolutely get your money's worth and make it work. I'm talking about general auto parts like when doing a rebuild or replacing stuff that breaks. I just priced out an entire 997 M97 rebuilt using eeuroparts.com, FCP, and Pelican. Eeuroparts was about 20% cheaper than both of them, cheaper on almost every single item.

I'm too lazy to mail used oil back so I don't bother, plus oil isn't all the expensive anyways in the big scheme of things so I don't bother. But to you guys that do it with FCP more power to you. These cars don't have to be expensive to maintain as you have shown.
Old 05-07-2023, 01:05 PM
DSC800
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

I looked up Pelican's "fine print" and they do specify "no fluids", it's for "hard parts" only. Someone wise at Pelican figured this is a little more rational than having used oil returned.

Originally Posted by RngTrtl
The FCP lifetime warranty thing is legit. I havent paid for an oil change kit in years.
I was going to reply something like "surely this is an abuse of their warranty program, a loophole, blah, blah" but figured I'd better look up what FCP says. Sure enough, they make note of it and even show recycling oil on their instagram.

Originally Posted by PV997

Reminds me of Costco when they even took back 10 year old plasma TV's. Plus, they did have the lowest price, so someone with a sharp pencil figured it's time for a change. I think electronics are double the mfg warranty now. For the Liqi-Moly oil kit at FCP and Pelican, I'd say their higher price is closer to 30% more than other online sellers. Most of the time, I agree, they are over priced but if they are close I'll give them my business because they do support the DIYer with tutorials, a forum, phone support and youtube vids (once I even bought an oil pump direct from a Porsche dealer because they had the best price, clearly a fluke),
Old 05-07-2023, 04:27 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Originally Posted by DSC800
I was going to reply something like "surely this is an abuse of their warranty program, a loophole, blah, blah" but figured I'd better look up what FCP says. Sure enough, they make note of it and even show recycling oil on their instagram.
I did the same thing just to make sure I was reading things right and emailed them and got confirmation that they do indeed warranty fluids. I couldn't believe it honestly, but sure enough they do!.
Old 05-07-2023, 05:30 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 451 Likes on 334 Posts

On my third set of front Sebro slotted on my 2013 Boxster S. Cost $50+ to mail back the old ones. At $372 for the fronts that a net savings of $644. Bought Pagid RSL-29 fronts at $511 and rears at $354 last year, which will be an even larger savings. For me fluids aren't worth hassle and potential liability if they leak during return shipping. I bought the Start-Stop capacitor (battery equivalent) for my 2016 MB GLC 300 from them after shopping around on the internet.

Often wondered about their business model since they obviously are losing money on customers like me, but hopefully others don't take advantage otherwise they will drop the program. IMO some of the LifeTime Warranty program has to be charged off against marketing.

I have bought from Pelican in the past. If they have added a similar program that tells me they also forecast net profit and hopefully lasts awhile longer.
Old 05-07-2023, 07:47 PM
Nate.Evans
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 76 Posts

The lifetime warranty policy is now more than ever a huge bonus after the covid supply chain rubberband effect. Quality control has been **** accross the board in ALL manufacturing genres and my business has seen more garbage parts brand new out of the box in these past 5 months this year than I have the prior 8 years I've been in business combined. My shipping expenses have literally gone up ten fold because manufacturers know their QC is **** and are no longer giving out call tags for warranty parts and will now only "match shipping" for the warranty part (if you overnight it to them, they overnight it back).

Thought maybe it applied only to bicycles, but nope, I got TWO brand new Bilstein B8 were blown out of the box. About 500 miles down the road I was wondering why my suspension was still ****y, get under the car and the shock oil is EVERYWHERE. Paid for labor twice, only paid for the Bilstein once. A company is offering lifetime replacement/warranty? Use the **** out of it until all this supply chain **** gets back to normal.
TheChunkNorris (05-08-2023)
Old 05-09-2023, 02:27 PM
SleepyCyclist
Rennlist Member

Received 274 Likes on 110 Posts

any recs on most cost effective way to ship oil back to @FCPEuro ?
Old 05-09-2023, 03:35 PM
yaz996
Rennlist Member

Received 838 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by SleepyCyclist
Most cost effective for me is not letting the wife think of it as a good excuse for a weekend trip into NYC. (FCP is about an hour drive for me, and about a mile from the train station we typically use to go into the city.)

Last edited by yaz996; 05-09-2023 at 08:17 PM.
hbdunn (05-09-2023)
Old 05-09-2023, 04:02 PM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Received 652 Likes on 400 Posts

Printing shipping labels through PayPal is significantly cheaper than going to Post Office/UPS/FedEx direct. It's similar to the discount you get in Ebay shipping, but you don't need to sell an item. It's a little difficult to find on PayPal, but this is the direct link https://paypal.shipstation.com/orders

The price difference can be pretty massive in some instances versus going direct to the shippers.
Old 05-09-2023, 04:10 PM
brontosaurus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 329 Posts

couple of garbage bags tied well in a flat rate

Quick Reply: PSA, Pelican know has same lifetime warranty as FCP