Possible Engine Failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2023, 01:29 PM
Mr.Mike111
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Possible Engine Failure

Hello All,

I had a very unfortunate situation happen this past Sunday, would love any input that could be provided. So quick background, I purchased this 2004 C4S in February. It had 73k miles, IMS solution done and had a good PPI and boroscope performed, everything checked out. I drove it from Orange county down to where I live in San Diego, got a fresh liquimolly oil change and oil analysis done and everything looked good there.

Since then I've put about 800 miles on the car with zero issues. I always start it, drive right away, and don't go hard/shift past 3k until oil is at operating temp.

This Sunday I was driving the car, engine was at temp and I went to shift from 2nd to 3rd about about 4k. Once I made the shift, I heard the worst sound you could imagine, like if the engine was dropped in a garbage disposal. All lights lit up, lost power, cruised to a safe spot, did try to turn over again but it failed.

Any ideas as to what I could have experienced? I've had the fear of bore scoring since before I even took ownership, and feel that that would not happen as sudden as this occured. Also, as mentioned prior, IMS was taken care of.

Please provide any input, hoping it's not full engine failure. If that is the case, if anyone can recommend what people do in that situation i.e. options for rebuild/standard price? Sell as a roller? etc.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 05-16-2023, 01:51 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,107 Likes on 713 Posts

Sit down and breath, then open your wallet. Get it diagnosed first by a reputable Porsche mechanic.
Old 05-16-2023, 01:53 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 779 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Mike111
Hello All,

I had a very unfortunate situation happen this past Sunday, would love any input that could be provided. So quick background, I purchased this 2004 C4S in February. It had 73k miles, IMS solution done and had a good PPI and boroscope performed, everything checked out. I drove it from Orange county down to where I live in San Diego, got a fresh liquimolly oil change and oil analysis done and everything looked good there.

Since then I've put about 800 miles on the car with zero issues. I always start it, drive right away, and don't go hard/shift past 3k until oil is at operating temp.

This Sunday I was driving the car, engine was at temp and I went to shift from 2nd to 3rd about about 4k. Once I made the shift, I heard the worst sound you could imagine, like if the engine was dropped in a garbage disposal. All lights lit up, lost power, cruised to a safe spot, did try to turn over again but it failed.

Any ideas as to what I could have experienced? I've had the fear of bore scoring since before I even took ownership, and feel that that would not happen as sudden as this occured. Also, as mentioned prior, IMS was taken care of.

Please provide any input, hoping it's not full engine failure. If that is the case, if anyone can recommend what people do in that situation i.e. options for rebuild/standard price? Sell as a roller? etc.

Thanks,

Mike
Bore scoring wouldn't normally make that noise or the lock-up you wrote about. Don't try to start it again. Drop the pan and look for junk in the pan. I understand you say the car has The Solution, but the IMSB failure sound has been described as "Marbles rattling around in a tin can." Did it sound like that?
Old 05-16-2023, 02:58 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,269 Posts

Could be many things.
But what comes to mind first is a broken timing chain.
I agree with Wildbilly32, drop the pan and take a look.
Your options depend upon what you find.
The following 3 users liked this post by TexSquirrel:
Dr_Strangelove (05-16-2023), wdb (05-16-2023), zbomb (05-16-2023)
Old 05-16-2023, 04:29 PM
Mr.Mike111
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
Could be many things.
But what comes to mind first is a broken timing chain.
I agree with Wildbilly32, drop the pan and take a look.
Your options depend upon what you find.

Didn't necessarily sound like marbles in a can. Timing chain was mechanics guess before going tearing it apart as well. What sort of damage would I be looking at if it is timing chain?
Old 05-16-2023, 04:35 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

Hello All,
IMS solution done

If this is true and you didn't mistakenly call the IMS Retrofit the "solution" (not meaning to insult your intelligence - this mistake happens often on here,) then you wouldn't have any marbles to shake up your can, anyhow.
Old 05-16-2023, 04:37 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 654 Likes on 409 Posts

Didn't necessarily sound like marbles in a can. Timing chain was mechanics guess before going tearing it apart as well. What sort of damage would I be looking at if it is timing chain?
You need a new engine if the timing chain let go.
Old 05-16-2023, 04:42 PM
Mr.Mike111
Intermediate

Originally Posted by yelcab
You need a new engine if the timing chain let go.
If it is that, is this something that a PPI should've caught?
Old 05-16-2023, 05:39 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Broken timing chain means the engine is not worth rebuilding.
PPI won't find that normally.
But usually a timing chain breaks at idle.
Old 05-16-2023, 05:46 PM
Mr.Mike111
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
Broken timing chain means the engine is not worth rebuilding.
PPI won't find that normally.
But usually a timing chain breaks at idle.
Appreciate the information, and I'll just see what things look like once they can fully diag. If we are looking at absolute worst case scenario, meaning new engine etc. Should I be expecting a $30k bill, more/less?
The following users liked this post:
Woodman71 (05-16-2023)
Old 05-16-2023, 06:19 PM
gbarron
Pro

Received 243 Likes on 131 Posts

If it is that, is this something that a PPI should've caught?
Were the cam deviation numbers checked/recorded during the PPI? Engine over revs? Oil filter removed and inspected? Oil sampling performed? How was the bore scoring inspection done (via spark plug holes or oil pan removed)?
Old 05-16-2023, 07:54 PM
Mr.Mike111
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gbarron
Were the cam deviation numbers checked/recorded during the PPI? Engine over revs? Oil filter removed and inspected? Oil sampling performed? How was the bore scoring inspection done (via spark plug holes or oil pan removed)?
I

I'm not sure on cam deviation numbers checked, but this is the PPI. The over revs were checked, the oil filter was checked, boroscope was done via the spark plug holes
Old 05-16-2023, 07:59 PM
meirschwartz
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

You will not be able to tell more before dropping the sump and inspecting what’s in there.
if it’s the timing chain, there is no way to find it during a standard PPI.
The following users liked this post:
TexSquirrel (05-16-2023)
Old 05-16-2023, 08:39 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

I

I'm not sure on cam deviation numbers checked, but this is the PPI. The over revs were checked, the oil filter was checked, boroscope was done via the spark plug holes

Spark plug holes are not the best place to check for scoring as it starts on the skirt. Having said that bore scoring won't make the engine go boom like that. It sounds like timing chain, i might be wrong but i think it's been posted here 3.6 engines have more failure prone timing chains than 3.4 engines, someone else might comfirm
Old 05-16-2023, 08:41 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris(MA)
Spark plug holes are not the best place to check for scoring as it starts on the skirt. Having said that bore scoring won't make the engine go boom like that. It sounds like timing chain, i might be wrong but i think it's been posted here 3.6 engines have more failure prone timing chains than 3.4 engines, someone else might comfirm
Correct, all of above.
From what I've been told, 2002 are the worst at breaking timing chains.
But any 996 can break one.

Quick Reply: Possible Engine Failure